Skyline R32 Engine problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skyline R32 Engine problem

Hey i have a rb20det in my r32 gts-t. When i start the engine it has trouble staying on idle, i have to give it some gas until it decide to idle, and this is how it sound:

how ****** is my engine?
    From the sound of it i would guess it need to be rebuild which lead my to my second question, Should i put another Rb20det in it or go for a rb25det

Thanks in advance!

UPDATES:

I did a compression test, result are disappointing. here are the results

Cylinder 1 : between 128-132

Cylinder 2 : between 119-122

Cylinder 3 : between 90-93

Cylinder 4 : between 117-120

Cylinder 5 : between 123-125

Cylinder 6 : between 123-125

Conclusion, I'll be looking for a new engine. I dont think its worth the hassle to mess with this one with such low compression and all the other trouble.
    Last edited by Mikea93; 04-11-2015, 03:17 PM. Reason: UPDATE

Thats some pretty bad knocking. I would do a compression test and go from there.
    Check out Top Tier Imports. Sign up today! http://www.toptierimports.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TopTierImports?feature=mhee

Comment

Yeah ,will do.
      thanks for the reply.

Comment

That's normal for the engine to be hard to start with breathing mods (would need a ECU retune with Nistune to solve it) while cold starting for the first time. To test this, crank the engine for longer when cold or turn engine on then off and then start the engine again. If engine starts fairly normally the second time, then it's ECU tune related.

But most likely one of the valves is sticking open (the noise heard in video clip) a little bit due to a sticking hydraulic lifter, which might make engine even harder to start. Sounds like one hydraulic lifter. Someone might have tried to rebuild them in the past or has failed due to age.

What can help with reducing lifter noise is using the correct thickness oil. Factory oil is 5w30 and would use a 5w40 or 10w40 with breathing mods (if not thrashing the car on racetrack). On racetrack you would use a w50 due to high oil temps, over 120 degrees C (also fit a engine oil cooler, oil temp, oil pressure gauge).

If a bottomend bearing goes you would notice a big drop in oil pressure from factory oil pressure figures (search the internet or forum for factory oil pressure figures). Also have discussed on the forum that cam clearances can cause this low oil pressure, so eliminate that as a cause.
        Last edited by Skym; 02-15-2015, 09:37 PM.
        RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

Sorry for late reply, thanks for the feedback Skym.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikea93 View Post
            Sorry for late reply, thanks for the feedback Skym.
            You're welcome.
            RESPONSE MONSTER

Comment

Updates

UPDATES:

I did a compression test, result are disappointing. here are the results

Cylinder 1 : between 128-132

Cylinder 2 : between 119-122

Cylinder 3 : between 90-93

Cylinder 4 : between 117-120

Cylinder 5 : between 123-125

Cylinder 6 : between 123-125

Conclusion, I'll be looking for a new engine. I dont think its worth the hassle to mess with this one with such low compression and all the other troubles.

Comment

Common for the stock headgasket to fail, valves to leak. I think was below 130 is rebuild time.
                RESPONSE MONSTER

Comment

My plan is to buy a new engine, i've had several sensor problem with my current engine. That way id have double of everything (sensors and parts) to work with. I would be putting in the new the engine and rebuilding my current engine while its out of the car.

Comment

I got a interesting story....

My friend had a 1991 Camry with 300,000km on it. It once refused to start. It was cold and sitting for 3 days. I test the compression test, and it only got 55-65 psi across all four cylinders!

Then we were like, oh ****. We squirt a bit of engine oil in the engine and tried to start it again. It barely start, and barely idle. We took it for a little drive anyway for 15 mins. Then we checked the compression test again. It was 180-190 psi across the board!

Since that day we still driving that Camry and it started fine even in the -30'c winter. We still couldn't figure out why, but I think it is a ticking time bomb.

Comment

That story was interesting, indeed haha. You can't kill toyota :P

Comment

Working...
                      X