DIY: Skyline Cupholder!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY: Skyline Cupholder!

Now, I know some of you are thinking "Wow! That's awesome!" Or maybe you're actually thinking "Wow, that's lame...these are race cars, you shouldn't be drinking in your car you pansy...blah blah blah etc"...and then there are some that are thinking "Wow, that is lame...but I live in the real world where I'm on the run and it really would be nice to have somewhere to put a drink every once in a while..."

Well I came up with a solution, that doesn't break your vents, you don't have to drill holes, is not in your way, costs under $20 and takes 30 minutes of your time. Interested?

Unless your kids or midget friends who sit in the back will complain about not being able to put out their cigarettes bakc there...the cupholder replaces your rear ashtray.

I bought this cupholder first for my Porsche 944, and it was pretty pricey from 9xauto.com because they sent a custom bracket with it. Well, I discovered you can buy it on it's own from www.ultimatecupholders.com about $13 plus shipping. It works fantastic, is sturdy, and folds up and out of the way nicely. I had to replace it once because it got all sticky and the plastic linkages broke, but it was my own fault for letting stuff spill, it's still well-built, and so inexpensive so who cares...

So for this you need:
    - Fischer Cupholder
    - 4 Mirror brackets
    - 4 small bolts, nuts, and locking washers
    - Phillips head screwdriver

Step 1:
    Drill 4 holes in the back of the cupholder. Careful not to drill through and damage the linkage, or have the bolts get in the way of the linkage. You might have to measure the ashtray opening to get a good idea of where to drill. The top 2 holes are ROUGHLY 1/2" down and 1 1/4" from the sides, and the bottom 2 holes are about 1" up and 2" in from the sides.

Step 2:
    Put the bolt in from the inside of the cup holder, and on the other side slide on the bracket, locking washer and nut. Complete the top end and aim the brackets up.

Step 3:
    Remove your ashtray and metal snuffing plate.

Step 4:
    Remove your centre console and flip it upside down.

Step 5:
    Insert the completed bracket end up inside the hole, and then fasten on the remaining brackets and aim them in the opposite direction, so the brackets clasp on the inside walls of the ashtray hole...and you're done!

Hey, it's functional, it's out of the way, and honestly it doesn't look that bad. And for the little money and effort, it makes sense to have one! And throw on a Nismo decal and you'll get an extra 5hp

PS Mods I'm not sure where to put this thread, feel free to move or delete if deemed offensive about that midget thing...
    1999 Nissan Stagea RS Four S, White

Previous JDM Rides:
    1992 Nissan President Sovereign Junction Produce, Black (sold to NICOclubber)
    1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R, Black (sold to GTRCer)
    1989 Nissan Skyline GTS-4, Black (sold to GTRCer)

looks good ,id like to see a diy section on theses forums for stuff like this
    understeer -is when you go off the road and see the tree that kills you
    oversteer-is when you go off the road backwards and dont see the tree that kills you

Comment

Nice Write up! Kudos to you
      2 times ex-Skyline GTR owner. 2004-2009

Comment

well since i dont smoke and i owuldnt let anyone else smoke in my car i think this is an awesome idea.... i have one of those JDM vent style cup holders and while it looks cool.... yours looks stock like it was meant to be there
        How many kids with A.D.D. does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Wanna go ride bikes...

R.I.P \'87 4cyl Rustang
        \'03 Dodge SX2.0
        \'90 GTR32

Comment

Not big on the front one but the back one is not too bad. good location and looks OEMish.
          2015 Audi RS7 Sepang Blue
          2009 Yamaha R1 Raven Black - SOLD
          2005.5 Audi S4 Sprint Blue Pearl - SOLD
          1989 Nissan Skyline GTR - SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by Joker View Post
            Not big on the front one but the back one is not too bad. good location and looks OEMish.
            Front one isn't from his car.
            Race. Win. Live.

Comment

walmart has a similar cup holder for $7 or $8. So you can buy 2 and get it at any walmart you want. Its in the section where all the other useless car accesories are. Like the globe compass, the outside temp sensors, the back seat kleenex holders and such.

Comment

Originally posted by CanadianGTR View Post
                Front one isn't from his car.
                lol well unless it used to be LHD with leather seats I know that

I meant it wouldn't be good on a Skyline there.
                2015 Audi RS7 Sepang Blue
                2009 Yamaha R1 Raven Black - SOLD
                2005.5 Audi S4 Sprint Blue Pearl - SOLD
                1989 Nissan Skyline GTR - SOLD

Comment

Thanks for the kudos guys. IMO it looks pretty stock, especially when in person.

I have OEM cupholders in the armrest in my GTS-4 and they are AWFUL. It's like a 2-tier thing, you lift up the first and you get the cupholders, and lift up the second and you get the centre console pocket. But the friggin first flap's magnet is dead so it always flaps into the backseat area...and if you tried to put a drink there, if you hit the brakes the flap comes crashing down on your drink...ridiculous option...

Try mine instead

The first pic is the same cupholder installed in my 944. It uses an existing screw in the side of the console. The angle is too steep in the Skyline for the same thing to work even if you drilled a hole, and also, the glovebox would interfere with the operation of this cupholder.
                  1999 Nissan Stagea RS Four S, White

Previous JDM Rides:
                  1992 Nissan President Sovereign Junction Produce, Black (sold to NICOclubber)
                  1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R, Black (sold to GTRCer)
                  1989 Nissan Skyline GTS-4, Black (sold to GTRCer)

Comment

I was going to make something to sit in that little hole behind the shifter, like a plate that will hold my coffee up, but this is much better! plus having my coffee there, i keep hitting it when i shift, gts in the way.

1991 Skyline Gts-t Black - Crashed,Fixed,Parted. Still out there.
                    1992 Skyline Gts-t White - Almost ready to abuse.

Comment

nice

wow nice write-up! this is a great idea
                      i still haven't forgiven my girlfriend for spilling arby's on the trip from edmonton to calgary. if she had a cup holder maybe this tragedy could have been avoided. i will miss my cigarette holder... it smells of japanese cigarettes
                      mm mmm.

Comment

this is a great write up! Would come very usefull when drinking my pepsi and driving, its even better when you stop off at mcdonalds you now have a place to put the cup instead of holding it in your hands!
                        92,94,95 Honda Civic
                        92,92,93 Nissan Skyine GTS-T
                        91 Nissan Skyline GTR
                        92,93 Nissan 180sx
                        90,91,91,92,93,93 Nissan 240sx
                        89 Nissan Silvia

Comment

Moved to DIY

"Life's too short to drive boring cars!"

Comment

i would so do that but i have the do-luck brace going across there and wouldn't have room to fit it in

Comment

you can give me the do-luck brace if you want... I'll take it off your hands. Then you will have room

TROL

Comment

Working...
                              X