My build thread..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My build thread..

Well since it's not a Skyline, I'll post this up in OT.

As some of you know, I sold my 92 Gts-t to buy an FD RX7. I purchased this car back in August, but never really got to drive it due to a busted clutch... and well after that I started tearing it apart.

It's been sitting idle, in my garage for a few months, and today I started working at it again.

Yesterday was spent cleaning my disgusting garage. It was sick, **** strewn all over the place.. so it needed some help. I hadn't really touched anything since November because I'm a ***** and don't like the cold (yes I know Vancouver doesn't REALLY get cold but keep it to yourself ).

Today, I just finished stripping the block down. I took off the ignition system, fuel rails/injectors, intake manifold, exhaust manifold, "rats nest" sequential system and tons of little things.

Basically it's down to the block now. Tomorrow will be spent cleaning the block and installing new oil injector lines and cleaning all the parts that will end up back on the car (UIM/LIM, fuel rails, ignition).

Here are a few pics.

Giant box-o-parts

Another box-o-parts

As for what I'm doing with the build. Here are the plans. It's going to be done in stages, just so I get it back on the road soon.

For starters:
    Single turbo kit:
    -HKS manifold
    -Holset HX35 turbo
    -Tial 44mm gate + screamer
    -3'' D/P

Fuel:
    -550cc stock primary injectors
    -1300cc RC secondary (cleaned and flowed)
    -Full AN in the engine bay
    -HKS FPR
    -Supra Denso fuel pump
    -Aeromotive in-line filter

Electrics
    -PFC or Microtech (haven't decided yet)
    -Defi Racer gauge in white, boost, oil temp
    -Innovate LC1 wideband

Things that will come eventually.
    V-mount IC with KOYO rad
    ZEAL FunctionX coilovers.
    +odds and ends to clean up the interior.

updates will come as I work on the car and get stuff done. it will be slow for now until I sell my Mini... then things will start to roll.
    later.

TROL

Cool.

Going to upgrade the seals???

Some find it easier to tune engine with PowerFC + rotary engine.
    RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

Originally posted by Skym View Post
      Cool.

Going to upgrade the seals???

Some find it easier to tune engine with PowerFC on a rotary engine.
      the block will be it will be re-built and ported when it blows later on down the road (note: *when*, not if )

The problem with the ECU decision, is that the only person local who properly tunes rotarys has years of experience with the microtech unit, but has only been fiddling with the PFC for a year or so. So it's a toss up. I really don't want to re-do my harness with the microtech (which is needed). So because of that ATM I am leaning towards the PFC... it also helps that it has the controller which can display water temp/knock readings unlike the microtech.

TROL

Comment

I see.

There's a company called Kiwi-RE that builds rotary engines -

They might be able to supply, fabricate some good parts like exhaust manifolds, etc.

I guess like R.I.P.S but work with rotary engines.
        RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

update:

I have carpet. Oh ya... no more concrete. Now I will actually have motivation to get **** done. And there are no fluids in the car so I don't have to worry about leaks on the carpet. All free VIA craigslist.

BEFORE

AFTER

TROL

Comment

carpet :O you smart sob... I should have done that =[

Comment

beware of working on carpet, you'll find a strange tranquility beneath your car, i've fallen asleep a couple times under there.
              Tџяϊsмø

Comment

Originally posted by Turismo View Post
                beware of working on carpet, you'll find a strange tranquility beneath your car, i've fallen asleep a couple times under there.
                its happened before
                Fraser Valley Imports
                (ENDORSED)
                We aren't just Importers, we are Owners
                I perform pre-purchase inspections, general maintenance and minor to major work. PM me for more information.

Comment

Carpet is nice, but not as nice as heated floors... Man can you fall asleep fast in a garage...

Comment

Looking nice Falcon. Looking forward to checkin it out
                    Fraser Valley Imports
                    Cars:
                    1992 GTS-t with a TD06 top mount (for sale!)
                    1992 Toyota Corolla Levin GT Apex (for sale!)
                    2007 Yamaha FZ6 Custom

Comment

time to bump this thread up.

big news... engine is out.

After the lack luster intrest from fellow GTRC members to go on a drive today, I thought I would be productive.

The day for me started at 3PM when I started fiddling with the engine. Before I could pull anything, I needed to disconnect the clutch (pull type), transmission, radiator, oil cooler lines (these were a PITA), engine harness and engine mounts.

I ran into a few frustrating issues, first one being the oil cooler lines. The FD comes stock with a side mount oil cooler, that has quick disconnects. The problem with these, is it's nearly impossible to get them apart after 16 years. So after wanting to set my car on fire for a few minutes, I waddled over next door and borrowed a 23mm spanner from my neighbour and undid the lines at the engine banjo bolts.

So everything else went smooth... so it was time to get the picker all ready. I took the car off the ramps, pushed it half way out of the garage to make some extra space and started hooking up the chains.

This is where things started getting interesting. I jack up the tranny a bit to get the mounts out of their holes... but the engine DOSENT want to move. I try everything, pry bar, wiggle this way... wiggle that way. Drop the engine, pick it up in a different position. NOTHING!

I wanted to kill myself..... did I mention I did this all ALONE today?... so imagine trying to jack the lift, wiggle the engine and move the stand all at once... not easy.

Anyways, after about an hour and a half of trying everything possible, including fully removing the engine mounts (no going back anymore) I found the culprit. One stinking little bolt that I missed. Near impossible to see... and a reverse bolt... meaning it threaded into the tranny from the engine, not the other way around like most tranny bolts.

I grabbed my impact and went to town on that bolt.

Never has a bolt had so much anger and fury thrown at it all at once.

Anyways... once it was out, everything came out smoothly. I plopped the engine on a tire and cleaned up.

Ready for another day.

Pics will be up shortly once teh photobuckets finish their uploading.

TROL

Comment

TROL

Comment

i look forward to you finishing this aaron keep goin at her
                          ----------------------------------------------
                          widebody rb25 r32
                          Built by Fraser Valley Imports not Bought
                          We aren't just Importers, We are Owners
                          ----------------------------------------------
                          friends of:
                          genetic tuning!!!

Originally posted by Muss
                          Now why would two best friends fight? I'd say they'd just make a cookie pie, tell each other bed time stories and have a sleepover.

Comment

Nice Bike!!

Are you rebuilding that one, or do you have a fresh engine?
                            Fraser Valley Imports
                            Cars:
                            1992 GTS-t with a TD06 top mount (for sale!)
                            1992 Toyota Corolla Levin GT Apex (for sale!)
                            2007 Yamaha FZ6 Custom

Comment

looks great man...keep up the good work!!!
                              Fraser Valley Imports.ca
                              (The Detailer)
                              We aren't just Importers, we are Owners

Bike Project: Susie - 05 Suzuki GSXR 600
                              Car Project: In The Making

Comment

Working...
                              X