DIY Carbon Fiber Lamination Tutorial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Carbon Fiber Lamination Tutorial

Ok so first off I just want to point out that the info I am presenting here is not my own. I have no idea where I found this information, but when I did I thought it was a good idea to copy and paste it into a word file. I recently came across this long lost file and thought everyone here would benefit from the sharing of this info. This is a DIY at your own risk and I am in no way, nor is the original author responsible for anything that happens to you or your parts if you should try to attempt this process.
    So now that that is out of the way here goes....

Carbon Fiber interior is becoming more and more mainstream these days, so how do you stick out from all of the kits? Why customize and laminate your own parts. When done right, it can look far better than any of the kits on the market today. Here is how you do it.

The first step, obviously, is to decide what pieces you are going to laminate. The material of the piece to be laminated can also decide what resin you are to use also. A typical polyester resin WON'T stick to plastic. Some regular vinylester resins are more suited for plastics. You need to purchase supplies such as carbon fiber, sand paper, a surface prep wash (such as PrepAll), measuring and mixing containers, a couple of 2 inch wide paintbrushes, and resin. For resin, the easiest to work with while laminating an object is KleerKote from US Composites. It will stick to anything, has a uv protectant, and dries crystal clear.

Now, to prep the piece that you will be laminating. Start off by sanding with a coarse grit paper (I prefer 80). This will give the resin something to bond to. After sanding, wipe the piece down with prep wash. Using a clean towel and more prep wash, go over the entire piece once again to make sure there is no remaining residue. (resin will only stick to the piece, not to dirt or grease on that piece.) Let it dry COMPLETELY.

Mix a little bit of the KleerKote resin. using a brush, apply a layer over the piece. KleerKote has a pot life of 35 minutes, so if you are using a different resin, your times may be a little different. Wait about 15 minutes until the resin becomes tacky like glue. Pot life is also dependent on your mixture ratio, temperature and humidity.

While the resin is beginning to set on the piece, cut a piece of carbon fiber cloth for the project. Use masking tape to outline the area you will be cutting. Cut down the middle of the tape. This will keep the fabric from unraveling.

Now, after the resin is tacky to the touch, lay your carbon cloth ofer the piece. You are going to get a little sticky here. Use your fingers to press and form the carbon around all of the contours of the piece you are doing. After it fits satisfactorily, let it cure for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. (Leave the overhang of cloth until it dries)

After it is cured to the point that the carbon will not shift when touched, mix enough kleerkote to cover the piece. Use a brush to apply a liberal coat to the piece. This will seal the carbon and greatly reduce the chance of air bubbles in the finished product. After that coat is applied, let it sit for about 40 minutes.

The next step is called a flood coat. You pour the kleerkote resin at the highest point of the piece and let it flow down. This resin is self leveling, so there isn't that much sanding to do later. Repeat this step 90 to 120 minutes apart until there is no surface texture over the weave. If you let the previous layer cure completely, you will need to lightly sand with a light grit paper (600 - 800 grit) so the next layer of resin has something to bond to. The below pic is after 2 flood coats. It will more than likely get 1 or 2 more before final sanding and buffing.

After the piece cures overnight, you can trim the excess off with a pair of fabric shears. (its only one layer of carbon after all. ) Trim the fabric short with shears and use a Dremel to take it even with the plastic around it. One final flood coat helps to seal everything together.

Notice the reflection of the light on the piece. This is before final wetsanding and there are still small waves in the resin.

After the piece is COMPLETELY cured, you can wetsand with 1500 grit, then 2000 grit until the surface is smooth. After that, 3M rubbing compound does a great job of taking off the haze that wetsanding leaves behind. You are now done!!

Heres another example of a finished one, this one is a battery cover made with carbon fiber and blue kevlar

- Scott
    "It takes 8,460 bolts to assemble an R32, and one nut to scatter it all over the road."

I like. Very nice work.
    RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

Im going to cover a whole middle console soon
      - Scott
      "It takes 8,460 bolts to assemble an R32, and one nut to scatter it all over the road."

Comment

lately i've been researching a lot about carbon overlays and mold making, I haven't came accross the "flood layer" proccess before,but it seems almost fool proof. Aside from the excess waste it's definately a good idea, a little extra weight but probably negligable. Scott have you actually used this method yet? Finding a good source for material seems to be the hardest part about starting up.

why didn't you post this in DIY section?
        Tџяϊsмø

Comment

very cool! it would be sick to try this... i have no idea where to get the material either :S

91 GTR - 04 G35c - 91 celica.....

Comment

If someone wants to move this to the DIY section for me that would be great,

I found eBay to be the best source for carbon fiber, as for Kleer Koat, its really hard to get in Canada but you can use almost any table top CLEAR epoxy. Did I mention CLEAR?

if the idea of a flood coat dosn't seem good for you (i.e - wastefull, more expensive) you can also just purchase a 150(give or take) thick epoxy resin with a 1:1 ratio of epoxy hardener. If you go with this option instead of a flood coat you will do 3-4 layers until you get your desired look and then just follow the above sanding and compound steps. You may follow up with 2 coats of your favorite aerosol spray clear coat.

If any one needs help buying the carbon fiber I recommend a 2x2 twill diagonal small pattern (most common and most flexible for those tight corners) 6-7oz weight (give or take a BIT) 0.02-0.2mm. You should buy it by the yard as thats how it is mostly sold. If anyone needs some carbon fiber and dosn't want to use eBay you can look around local fabrication stores for it or alternatively I may be able to purchase it for you and you can just send me a check.

Remember CLEAR EPOXY.

It's a pretty simple process however If anyone want's me to do a piece for them I gladly will, just aslong as you pay for shipping & receive + material cost.
            - Scott

Comment

http://www.fibertek.ca/

This is the best place to go if you are in GVRD, Industrial Plastic (The Plastic Shop) also sells CF and epoxy but cost a little more then Fibertek. Look for Fiberglass suppliers in your local area if you are not in Vancouver.

Comment

Originally posted by Bossman View Post

This is the best place to go if you are in GVRD, Industrial Plastic (The Plastic Shop) also sells CF and epoxy but cost a little more then Fibertek. Look for Fiberglass suppliers in your local area if you are not in Vancouver.
                Yea they seem pretty good, overall unless you plan to buy from eBay the best place you can buy is local, they will normally have the best deals plus you wont have to worry about shipping.
                - Scott

Comment

what does it mean when it says its sold by the running yard? also, why does it list 1-5" if its sold by the yard?
                  whats going to power my skyline come spring?

Comment

Originally posted by linedriver View Post
                    what does it mean when it says its sold by the running yard? also, why does it list 1-5" if its sold by the yard?
                    It's like buying cloth from fabric stores, on the top there is a width (40", 50"; etc.) so a running yard would be one yard at a the given width (ie:50"). The listing 1-5 is the price if you buy 1 to 5 yards, if you buy more then you usually get a discount. There are few more places from US that deals with CF but I have not purchased from them yet. There are not many places that carries 60" width cloth except from US. BTY Fibretek is the supplier for Industrial plastic and they always give a discount if you buy in bulk.

Comment

It's like buying cloth from fabric stores, on the top there is a width (40", 50"; etc.) so a running yard would be one yard at a the given width (ie:50"). The listing 1-5 is the price if you buy 1 to 5 yards, if you buy more then you usually get a discount. There are few more places from US that deals with CF but I have not purchased from them yet. There are not many places that carries 60" width cloth except from US. BTY Fibretek is the supplier for Industrial plastic and they always give a discount if you buy in bulk.

it actually lists the 1-5 in inches, so im not sure if that is the width of the CF or not. i was considering doing a bunch of overlay on some parts, and a piece thats 5 inches wide by 1 yard long just wont cut it. although the bottom ones do make more sense cause its 50 inches wide and sold by the yard

Comment

Originally posted by linedriver View Post
                        it actually lists the 1-5 in inches, so im not sure if that is the width of the CF or not. i was considering doing a bunch of overlay on some parts, and a piece thats 5 inches wide by 1 yard long just wont cut it. although the bottom ones do make more sense cause its 50 inches wide and sold by the yard
                        OH!, sorry, I haven't taken a good look at their updated list. That 1 to 5 inches would be the running width of the cloth, so basically you're buying a 1" wide strip for whatever length. If you want to do a seamless wrap you can get sleeves too:

http://coastrocketry.com/composites.htm

For people who want to do CF pipe elbows?

Comment

How much do all these material cost ? Having my center dash surround carbon fiber would be cool!
                          Need detailing done to your car? I'm open to travel to detail your car :

http://forums.gtrcanada.com/group-buys/54899-ontario-cobraa-detailing-group-buy.html

Please follow my works and latest news/promotion at : https://www.facebook.com/Waxxonspa || Waxxon.com ||

Comment

not a whole lot from fibertek. im consider doing my entire dash in CF

Comment

It's pretty cheap, most of the money goes towards the epoxy resin, but one gallon of it will last you a long time
                              - Scott

Comment

Working...
                              X