Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Identify a true R32 GTR

Hi, I am new here.

I've always had a few questions regarding skylines in Canada. I plan on owning one once i am done school and secure a well paying job.

In the mean time, I wanna start learning more about skylines.

One thing that worries me is that eventually i may buy something under the premise that it is a GT-R, but it may not be! I was wondering how could you tell a GT-R is just that? Looking at VIN numbers, serial numbers?

Thanks!

vin number has to start with bnr32xxxxxxxxx <--definite sign
    motor has to be an rb26 <----another definite sign
    fenders are wider than any other stock r32
    gtr hood and grill
    dash should a torque split gauge and center console comes stock with 3 gauges

the first two are a requirement on all gtr's the rest could be change to aftermarket or just removed completely.
    Devil R sponsored by:
    Tunerlab.jp and Popformance

Some people try to get attention by bashing me. Go ahead you're only giving me more publicity. <3's haters

Comment

1) Blue plate on firewall will have the serial/vin/chassis number on it. If it starts with BNR32, it's a GTR.

2) It will have an RB26 in it. No over-the-top-intake manifold.

3) It will be a 5-speed

4) It will have gauges that start around 7 o'clock on the face instead of 9 o'clock. Also has 3 gauges in center console.

5) Tons of other differences. Brakes, aluminum hood, front grill, wide fenders, etc, etc, etc.

6) Please, don't think about buying a GTR any time soon.
      1990 Skyline GT-R - Jet Silver Metallic
      It'll run someday

Comment

If you can't identify it, you shouldn't be driving it.
        03 Infiniti G35 Coupe 5AT "Valerie"

Comment

well, I could identify the rb26dett, and look for a BNR32 (in various places, not certain where, but the blue plate thing oughta help) but i wasnt too sure about other things, like aluminum hood, gauges, center console gauges

This is why i am here! Wouldn't you rather have me ask a bunch of noob questions now rather than join the forums announcing that i have a "GTR" and post pics of something with not even the right engine?!

what are the stock wheels? chunky 5 spokes?

Comment

Don't worry man, I'm just kidding.
            03 Infiniti G35 Coupe 5AT "Valerie"

Comment

man it's really easy.

widebody = gtr

slab sides = not a GTR.

GTR grille is another giveaway but it's easy to swap from GTS parts.
              1992 GTR - 2.7L, GT2871R's, forged bottom end, big valves, 270* cams, R34 getrag
              2000 Honda Insight - 70+mpg daily driver
              2003 Sierra 2500HD Diesel - Tow vehicle

Comment

Originally posted by tokes View Post
                1) Blue plate on firewall will have the serial/vin/chassis number on it. If it starts with BNR32, it's a GTR.

2) It will have an RB26 in it. No over-the-top-intake manifold.

3) It will be a 5-speed

4) It will have gauges that start around 7 o'clock on the face instead of 9 o'clock. Also has 3 gauges in center console.

5) Tons of other differences. Brakes, aluminum hood, front grill, wide fenders, etc, etc, etc.

6) Please, don't think about buying a GTR any time soon.

Can I ask why you said not to buy a GTR any time soon?.. I'm looking for one rite now and just curious as to why NOT to buy one.

Comment

i think he meant GTR=Will cost more to maintain than GTS-T's

Comment

Because if you don't relaly know a lot about the cars before going into it you're in for a very rude awakening. We say this because we KNOW the cars. Hell I owned a GTS-T for a year and a bit before driving a GTR. I'm pretty skilled with a wrench, and I know my stuff, but even still... I haven't driven my GTR in 9 months. It's been off the road that long, and I know the car....

It's not one of those cars you buy off the lot with 0 problems and never worry about a thing. It's the kind of car you carry around an emergency Nissan Mechanic in the trunk.

I say go ahead and buy the car if you're clearing 60K and have no other expenses... Make sure you have a shop locally taht won't rip you off and knows GTR's.

Comment

Ah yes yes very true but the R32 GTR and the R34 GTR are the only 2 cars i plan to own even tho i dont kno much about skylines thats why i am on this forum reading and learning about them =] i dont mind how much money i spend because i kno it'll be worth it

Comment

Kelaog nailed it on the head!

The biggest thing that gives a GTR away are the rear quarter panels, but besides that. I own a Skyline with the RB25DET and couldnt imagine how sweet the RB26DETT would be, but i dont think id even want to own one to tell you the truth. You virtually would need a mechanic in your trunk especially if you dont know anything about a car.
                        As for the R34 models....dont expect a REAL one until 2013 in Canada.

so far ive had it pretty good, only a fuel issue that TSS ended up fixing but im sure ill see something pop up worse yet.
                        .......GTRCANADA.COM
                        Canada's premier Skyline enthusiast club

Comment

lol im building up a mechanic rite now haha im studying automotive rite now so im very very interested in the skyline plus it has been my dream car for a long long time now

Comment

Bigchief couldnt say it any better....
                            Print this off and take it with you.

Guide to buying a Skyline
                            .......GTRCANADA.COM
                            Canada's premier Skyline enthusiast club

Comment

Don't for get the steering wheel is on the left hand side in a GTR as opposed to a GTS.

Comment

Working...
                              X