Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ztune @ Pinks All Out - Kent Washington!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for all the support guys!!! The whole experience was awesome! It seems like we get to work on amazing cars every day, but we don't get much time to actually race them, so this was a lot of fun to us!

We've done so much work on the car this year, but with the shop so busy, we ran out of time to actually test it! So we were flying in the dark a bit in terms of actual race experience on the current setup. Jurie and I are working on a full out blog, but here's a quick re-cap!

Thursday

Dyno'd the car at 450AWHP on a Mustang dyno, which is about 510 dyno jet. Engine is mostly stock, except for 264 cams and an N1 oil pump. The engine was built over night out of spare parts from misc GT-R blocks as we had suspected an issue with our fully forged engine. In the end the forged engine turned out to be fine, but better sasfe than sorry. We didn't have time to put the built engine back in. The back-up block held up well though, despite a valve issue and 76PSI compression in one cylinder. We were running GT2860-5 turbos at 22PSI with a tune safe enough for pump gas.

As we hadn't had a chance to get the car to a drag strip at all this year, we tried to do some 1/4 mile runs using the dyno simulation, but the clutch cooked, so we loaded the car on the trailer, grabbed a spare clutch, and split for pinks at noon!

Thursday night we got settled in at Pinks around 9pm, and the clutch swap was done by midnight! Back to the hotel for 4 hours sleep!

Friday

Threw the drag slicks on the car for the first time and did our first practice run! Tried boost-launching the car, but the tires grabbed hard and the car just bogged. Andrew clutch kicked it, and pulled a 12.5 with the new clutch slipping through 3rd and 4th.

Second practice run, tried a different launch method which didn't work, and missed a shift, so that run was a write-off at 14 something. So that was a bit dissapointing, but we knew Saturday would go better.

Friday night, we were able to break-in the new clutch a bit, and get more familiar with the drag radials! Also made friends with the Kent police, who wished us luck, and reminded us not to blow any shifts

Saturday

Saturday started off better! Our revised launch method showed promise on the first run, and we managed an 11.5, but we knew the launch wasn't ideal, and that we could do better, even though the valve/compression issue was causing us to run a slower mph than we expected.

Second run was the most addrenaline I've felt in my life (although it may have had something to do with all those NOS energy drinks...hey...the NOS girls were cute, and I needed the energy)! The second run was the first arm-drop run and man, did it go well!

The cars got lined up 3 times before they were ready thanks to Rich bringing them over the line twice, so I was on pins and needles when suddenly my video cam stopped recording...the memory was full! Full out panic, ripped the iPhone out of my pocket in time to catch the arm drop, followed by one hell of a launch!!! We beat the big block beside us to the end, but the times didn't come up! We sat there biting down on our hands waiting to see what we did, but they didn't announce it. We knew it was our best run!

Ran back to the pits just as Andrew rolled in with the time slip...

10.927 @ 118.76mph, 1.517 60ft!

That was faster than we expected to run on our back-up engine with mild tune, so we were pleased! When the car is properly dialed-in, it's going to be quick! In the end, they didn't pick our time bracket so we didn't get into the show this time around, but it was still a blast!

Battle of the Imports...September 27th, Portland...here we go!

FINAL CLEARANCE! EVERYTHING MUST GO NOW!

The Best Brands. The Best Builds. The Best Service. The Best Prices.
    - 1.888.ZED.TUNE

Comment

i bet you will still be on the show... its not too often they have a skyline around... also...

i can just picture rich saying " the 11sec class has a skyline in it "
      How many kids with A.D.D. does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Wanna go ride bikes...

R.I.P \'87 4cyl Rustang
      \'03 Dodge SX2.0
      \'90 GTR32

Comment

Being on the show might be a hit or miss, you never know they did have a Honda on there once. Either way, serious props to you guys! Thats awesome, and for a backup motor setup? no kidding thats impressive!

Comment

NICE!!!! WTG ZTUNE!!!! Can't wait to hear more about this...

Good job drew!

Curt

Comment

Nice job guys .. sounds like you did the skyline community proud
            so what time bracket did pinks end up running this time around?

Comment

They ended up with a mid 9sec bracket

Comment

thats cause pinks is all about muscle and wheelies
                Need your cellphone unlocked to use on another carrier? msg me for details, fast quick and cheap.

Comment

more like moon shine and mullets
                  NEPTUNE OPTIMUS MAXIMUS

Comment

I saw the car today on lougheed. Sounded sweet!

Comment

Originally posted by Gaelen View Post
                      They ended up with a mid 9sec bracket
                      whoa
                      that is rare
                      Originally posted by Oakville
                      that, is what us oakvillians like to call an 'instabone'

Comment

mid 9's huh..... you guys should build a 800 BHP monster for next year

any plans for running pinks again in the future ?

Comment

Working...
                        X