No announcement yet.

NEED HELP! Documentary on the safety of RHD on the Roads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

haha lol i wouldnt toy with mcfly, hes been doing this for a while...and hes an albertan with 2 skylines.
    Victory is on the horizon..

Comment

if i were you i'd try to approach this with some caution and research.

do not appeal to emotion. use reasonable, verifiable arguments.

back up your arguments with DATA.

consider the other side of the debate and invalidate their arguments. (again, use data).

consider compromises. be prepared to concede certain aspects that ARE undeniably unsafe about RHD vehicles in RHT.

if you only make the thing into some brain dead video full of people saying "i have a right to drive what i want", and "RHD are perfectly safe, I drive one every day" etc., the whole thing will be glossed over and ignored.

it will turn into a farce like most of the RHD-defending initiatives thus far.

Comment

Originally posted by Oakville View Post
        haha lol i wouldnt toy with mcfly, hes been doing this for a while...and hes an albertan with 2 skylines.
        I'm somewhat aware of mcfly's experience; I'm not arguing the fact that RHD's are less safe ...I was just wondering why he doesn't seem to care whether or not they get banned.

They're definitely NOT unsafe...however they are LESS safe.

Comment

Originally posted by christdeyoung View Post
          I'm somewhat aware of mcfly's experience; I'm not arguing the fact that RHD's are less safe ...I was just wondering why he doesn't seem to care whether or not they get banned.

They're definitely NOT unsafe...however they are LESS safe.
          I think its because they aren't "the world" to him, its just a car. I'm most likely completely off, but that's all I can really think of.

And realistically, they arent less safe. The cars themselves are just as safe as any other 17 year old north american car. It is the driver which needs to adjust his driving to accomodate the changes. Things like not passing aggressively on 2 laned roads, etc etc. If a driver isn't willing to prepare himself for driving one, then yes it will be more dangerous than if he were in a north american car.

This is what the governments do not seem to realise. At the same time, I see where they are coming from though, because a lot of RHD owners dont or wont take these precautions or alter their driving style. It is the drivers that should be better prepared or qualified to safely govern these vehicles, if it means taking an extra course when registering the car, It would make the roads safer. not banning the cars.
          Victory is on the horizon..

Comment

but then again lhd vehicles can be just as unsafe or less safe with alot of the drivers we have out here.

i remember reading an article that i believe was in the newspaper and it probably the best neutral unbiased as possible written for a canadan paper.

i remember i rough quote being 2 things.
            1 jdm cars are better quality and have highers emissions standards and being low kilometers blah blah
            and 2, that in japan and surrounding areas that they have been driving around using both lhd and rhd vehicles for many many years and they dont have issues. so maybe we should take a lesson from them.

something like that.
            I love the thing and its worth it every time I start it. As soon as it stops make me smile ill get rid of it (not gonna happen)
            (OO)|Skyline|(OO)
            ....R33 GTS25T

Comment

So, where exactly do you stand on the '15 year rule'/RHD ban, mcfly?
              You don't seem to be very objective to the possible rule change.
              I assume you're not from Canada?
              I supported the stance that rhd's are more dangerous then lhd's in canada. If you argue that they are not then you are thick headed.

But i do not support an outright ban.
              Maybe keep the n's from having them at least.

Comment

Originally posted by mcfly View Post
                I supported the stance that rhd's are more dangerous then lhd's in canada. If you argue that they are not then you are thick headed.

But i do not support an outright ban.
                Maybe keep the n's from having them at least.
                They're not unsafe, just LESS safe.

The analogy I always make to people is:
                If you see a Tim Hortons coffee cup on the road, can you hit it 9 times out of 10 with your passenger side tire?
                If so, then you can judge well enough to know where the other side of your car is.
                As for passing cars...you follow the same procedure: Pass when it is safe to do so. Period. If you can't see around the car ahead of you (which sometimes is the case), deal with it. Don't pass.

If they want to make the roads safer by creating dumb rules, then how about this: Any driver who has been found to be at 100% fault for 'X' or more collisions loses their license for 'Y' amount of time, and have to take a defensive driving course.
                Personally I'd feel a lot more comfortable driving in a RHD car, as opposed to someone who sucks at driving a LHD!

Comment

2 fights you will NEVER WIN (and I am sure the critics will add others):

1) Left hand turn safety.

2) Left hand merge into traffic - visibility.

RHD cars are NOT safe on North American Roads..............plain and simple.

We love them, drive them and rely on drivers NOT to be retards and posses some skill.

Every 16 yr old kid that buys a JDM and dies, deserves it.....as do his parents.

Comment

They're not unsafe, just LESS safe.

The analogy I always make to people is:
                    If you see a Tim Hortons coffee cup on the road, can you hit it 9 times out of 10 with your passenger side tire?
                    If so, then you can judge well enough to know where the other side of your car is.
                    As for passing cars...you follow the same procedure: Pass when it is safe to do so. Period. If you can't see around the car ahead of you (which sometimes is the case), deal with it. Don't pass.

If they want to make the roads safer by creating dumb rules, then how about this: Any driver who has been found to be at 100% fault for 'X' or more collisions loses their license for 'Y' amount of time, and have to take a defensive driving course.
                    Personally I'd feel a lot more comfortable driving in a RHD car, as opposed to someone who sucks at driving a LHD!
                    safe and unsafe is absolutely retarded to use. Any 15 year old car will be as safe as the other from that era. Regardless if it has a lhd counterpart or not. They all use the same safety features.

Dangerous is the word that needs to be used. A RHD car is more dangerous then a LHD. Everyone arguing that it is not is like i said, retarded and naive.

Comment

I would even consider starting up a new RHD fight......considering I want to keep mine and NOT loose it to some law that is designed to make up for BAD PARENTING.....

NO RHD for MINORS........Legal age only/and/or/3 yrs driving experience.

Comment

Safe is just the word that everyone uses in this context. Though I respectfully acknowledge your desire to differentiate between the two. Nobody here is disputing the fact that the cars are physically road worthy, its the RHD in a RHT country.
                        Most of us do agree it's more dangerous...I wouldn't say by that much though.
                        Its simple to say its MORE dangerous...need reliable, accurate stats to quantify this into a percentage or something.

Comment

the car themselves aren't unsafe. It's the kids who buy a 300hp monster that think there king **** at driving is unsafe.

IMO I wish the 25 year rule comes back so we won't have the leftover JDM junk Tiger Japanese specials here.
                          Chris

Comment

Originally posted by starboy869 View Post
                            the car themselves aren't unsafe. It's the kids who buy a 300hp monster that think there king **** at driving is unsafe.

IMO I wish the 25 year rule comes back so we won't have the leftover JDM junk Tiger Japanese specials here.
                            Not hard to tell you don't give a shyt because you already have yours.

Comment

I more or less agree with JD74 here...Minimum age and experience would be a good idea. I realize that there are good, responsible younger drivers, but that doesn't mean anything. Experience counts for a lot. I also wouldn't mind seeing additional training being required. Not just for RHD vehicles but also exotics and other non standard road cars. Drivers training in Canada is a bit of a joke...
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FormerVDubber View Post
                                I more or less agree with JD74 here...Minimum age and experience would be a good idea. I realize that there are good, responsible younger drivers, but that doesn't mean anything. Experience counts for a lot. I also wouldn't mind seeing additional training being required. Not just for RHD vehicles but also exotics and other non standard road cars. Drivers training in Canada is a bit of a joke...
                                Agreed 100%

Comment

Working...
                                X