Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Importing a Skyline to U.S.

hey guys,

I have a question. Is it possible to import a Skyline from Canada to U.S. ?
    My friend lives in U.S. and keeps asking this question from me.

Has anybody here done this before?

Cheers
    1992 Nissan Skyline GTS-T

Topic's been covered quite a few times here (search it), but from the gist of most of them, you can do it, but it's really hard to do so. Something about lots of hoops to go through.
    Originally posted by Shadao
    All i could do was shake my head and say" Like a fine wine that has aged over the years and was taken care of will be a much nicer drink than one that was bottled yesterday."
    Again he said, "still though its a 20yr old car"
    New Civic vs. Old Skyline
    ---
    My Ride: 1986 Toyota Cressida

Comment

takeda enterprises does it google takeda racing and look at their website or call them.

Comment

takeda?
        what you talkin about willis?

hope you have lots of money thought man
        Originally posted by Oakville
        that, is what us oakvillians like to call an 'instabone'

Comment

yes you can do it
          it's not expensive either.

Or legal.

And no amount of money can make it legal.
          1992 GTR - 2.7L, GT2871R's, forged bottom end, big valves, 270* cams, R34 getrag
          2000 Honda Insight - 70+mpg daily driver
          2003 Sierra 2500HD Diesel - Tow vehicle

Comment

Its easy for the skyline to get there..

However making it Legal.. Well thats not so easy.. LoL
            Agreed. Good to have you here Ben

Comment

I saw a few GTR's at Golden Gardens with Takada stickers.

TROL

Comment

never heard any thing about them getting some in to the states until now
                possibly brought up to takeda for tuning?

Comment

Keep it registered to a Canadian address...?

If I go to the states in 1.5 years (either there or Ontario) then I will just leave the car registered with my rents place in BC and call it a day.

That's my plan anyways... not sure how well that will pan out haha.
                  DISCLAIMER: If any of the above comments in this post hurt your feelings you are likely taking me too seriously; I'm probably just busting your balls. If you're unsure, feel free to PM me and we can discuss the matter privately, as to not pull the thread OT.

Comment

Reistered in bc and insured by an American company? Not likely. And u can't leave it insured with icbc if u do that. Well u an but any claim u try and start will be null and void when you find out it isn't mostly used within 15 kilometers feim home as home will be whereever it was insured aka surrey

Comment

I believe it depends on the insurance policy, as there are policies that restrict you from driving to or from work in excess of 15 km's but you can pay more for extended coverage. See here: http://forums.gtrcanada.com/showthread.php?t=48484 I would be back in the country every 30 days to visit family at the very least.

I would essentially spin it as I'm owning and residents at both places, and spend almost equivalent time at each. Either that or my brother, who actually lives in BC, would be registered as the principal operator on the vehicle, and the last time he came down had an emergency pop up, so I put him on a plane and he flew home and was going to come get the car another time, as afterall, it is a summer/weekend vehicle anyways. I took it out later cause I missed it (as it was previously mine, and I left it for him to use when I moved) and then BAM accident happened. Must be the RHD

Truth be told, by the time I move I will likely need a change of scenery and will sell the car. That or I will not have saved enough $$$ for downpayment and will need to sell the car.

EDIT: And isn't there a policy where if someone from Canada were to move to Japan for a certain amount of time, and then move back to Canada, they can bring in their car (even though it doesn't meet the 15 yr requirement) but they cannot sell it in the country? Maybe the US has the same thing for Canadian residents.... I'll be back 4 years later anyways and could sell the car in Canada.
                      DISCLAIMER: If any of the above comments in this post hurt your feelings you are likely taking me too seriously; I'm probably just busting your balls. If you're unsure, feel free to PM me and we can discuss the matter privately, as to not pull the thread OT.

Comment

Originally posted by Snow View Post
                        EDIT: And isn't there a policy where if someone from Canada were to move to Japan for a certain amount of time, and then move back to Canada, they can bring in their car (even though it doesn't meet the 15 yr requirement) but they cannot sell it in the country? Maybe the US has the same thing for Canadian residents.... I'll be back 4 years later anyways and could sell the car in Canada.
                        This law lets you keep your car only for so long, few years at most.
                        Originally posted by archaeic_bloke
                        hows the warp drive? i've seen far too many GTR's lately that just arent able to hit warp speed.

Comment

http://www.getjdmcars.com/catalog/in...roducts_id=931

Comment

Originally posted by hozer View Post
                            This law lets you keep your car only for so long, few years at most.
                            Yea I would only be in Portland (5 hrs from home in Vancouver) for 4 years, and then heading home.

Just down there, or out East, while the significant other does Optometry. After a few years I'll want something new anyways... I've had 8 cars since I was 16 and I'm only 21; I change cars about as often as I buy a new pair of jeans lol

Comment

Originally posted by doublejceballos View Post
                              never heard any thing about them getting some in to the states until now
                              possibly brought up to takeda for tuning?
                              The owner said he bought it from another US owner who had it imported from Takada

TROL

Comment

Working...
                              X