Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving without the front prop shaft.

Ok, I'm making a r32gtr RWD
    So I'm removing The front axles, diff internals, and prop shaft.

I'm going to simply pull the fuse for the atessa system, and maybe unplug the pump to prevent it from getting power.

Now the propshaft side that enters the transfercase is spline inlet. Is that open to fluid ? (shouldn't be right?)
    I'm planing on plugging the hole so i can revert back if needed. Will this transfercase loose fluid? could i possibly damage anything by doing this?

I'll be installing modified Z32 Front knuckles, spaced tie rods, and chopping all the stoppers off the lower control arms. to maximize steering angle.

I drove for a few days with no front driveshaft waiting for a new one to show up. There was no leaks.

Comment

I went without a front prop shaft before, didnt have issues.

IMO, why not get a gts? Less weight. Or are you changing the tranny too?

If I wanted to make a rwd GTR, (though I wouldn't cause there's lighter ones that look similar)
      I would (change to a rwd tranny, change oil pan to rwd (no front diff) and gut the hicas and attessa junk. Car would then be a sheep in wolf's clothing.
      Black 1991 GTR. Serious garage stand mantle/parts car.
      Black 1990 Pulsar GTiR. Sold
      Silver 1989 GTR. Sold
      Black 2010 Subaru WRX. Weekend warrior. Sold.
      Black 2013 F-150 FX4 ecoboost. Daily driver.
      White 2012 Ford Explorer Limited. Family wagon.

Sorry for my offensive comments, I r socially retard.

start by having A ROLLING GTR then we talk u ******* mofo funzy little *****
      lol

Comment

Been driving my GTS4 since I bought it in the spring with no shafts and or front diff. It still has the AWD tranny and transfercase and I have no issues, just the annoying 4WD light on the dash. Oh BTW the fuse is pulled too.
        1989 R32 Skyline GTR SOLD!!!!

The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering.
        -Bruce Lee

Comment

Originally posted by feyd182 View Post
          Been driving my GTS4 since I bought it in the spring with no shafts and or front diff. It still has the AWD tranny and transfercase and I have no issues, just the annoying 4WD light on the dash. Oh BTW the fuse is pulled too.
          take the cluster off and remove the fuse?

thats what i did for the HICAS
          sigpic

[links to all chapters in first post]

Comment

Originally posted by NismoS-tune View Post
            Car would then be a sheep in wolf's clothing.
            haha awesome.

Comment

Can the GTR be made into full time FWD if the rear driveshaft is removed?
              Double track drift, yo.
              http://www.meh.ro/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/meh.ro5228.gif

(oo sκylιnε oo)

Comment

Only if you have a torque splitter installed, the front end only kicks in when the rear wheels loose traction. I've done it with a Subie STi, kinda pointless though.
                Last edited by Voodoo_ChildR32; 12-07-2011, 06:11 PM.

-Bruce Lee

Comment

Originally posted by feyd182 View Post
                  Only if you have a torque splitter installed, the front end only kicks in when the rear wheels loose traction. I've done it with a Subie STi, kinda pointless though.
                  I drove my 2004 STi 25 miles home from the drag strip in FWD after I snapped/twisted a rear axle shaft in half. Gotta love the DCCD haha.

Comment

umm so if you guys are pulling your front axle shafts how exactly are you pre-loading your front wheel bearings with no axle nut? I can't see those bearings lasting long with no pre-load. If you are pulling the front prop shaft make sure you leave the front axles in unless you use gts-t front hubs.
                    Last edited by bignate; 12-07-2011, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bignate View Post
                      umm so if you guys are pulling your front axle shafts how exactly are you pre-loading your front wheel bearings with no axle nut? I can't see those bearings lasting long with no pre-load. If you are pulling the front prop shaft make sure you leave the front axles in unless you use gts-t front hubs.
                      I haven't ever done a RWD conversion, I only removed my front drive shaft (from the transfer case to the front diff). But most RWD conversions require disassembling the front axels to use the axel stubs to preload the bearings.

Comment

read 1st post. I'll be using z32 Front knuckles, modified also with a custom lower control arm.

There can be no axles in the front as they limit steering angle very quickly.

I drive around in 2wd anyway (w/controler)... I recently got addicted to drifting and sliding the car. Since the gtr front end is dual wishbone I have some secret weapons that could generate unlimited angle. The steering geometry will be perfect even at full lock, the contact patch will be superb. the aluminum knuckles already have a short tie rod pick up point to begin with.
                        The only problem I might have is caster. Caster on a GTR will be limited due to clearance behind the wheels. maybe a mini-tub will fit that.
                        Last edited by ChrisCheezer; 12-08-2011, 01:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisCheezer View Post
                          read 1st post. I'll be using z32 Front knuckles, modified also with a custom lower control arm.

There can be no axles in the front as they limit steering angle very quickly.

I drive around in 2wd anyway (w/controler)... I recently got addicted to drifting and sliding the car. Since the gtr front end is dual wishbone I have some secret weapons that could generate unlimited angle. The steering geometry will be perfect even at full lock, the contact patch will be superb. the aluminum knuckles already have a short tie rod pick up point to begin with.
                          The only problem I might have is caster. Caster on a GTR will be limited due to clearance behind the wheels. maybe a mini-tub will fit that.
                          You can try adjustable tension rods to play with caster.

-Bruce Lee

Comment

but FF is the coolest sports car drivetrain layout
                            Double track drift, yo.
                            http://www.meh.ro/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/meh.ro5228.gif

(oo sκylιnε oo)

Comment

Working...
                            X