Tuning options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Skym View Post
    Put a coby muffler where the cat was. It takes the drone out from under the passenger seat.
    Never herd of these..... Did a quick google, seems to be big in au and nz. Trying to keep this cheap untill I get a test pipe so gut cat and a pipe down the middle should be good lol.
    Come on lotto!!! Daddy needs a whole lotta stuff!

Comment

They are known as Bullet Mufflers in the Northern hemisphere and they aren't that expensive (length is usually the problem) -

JEGS Flowpack Bullet Mufflers are the same high-flow design used in our SRT8 Challenger and 2010-up Camaro SS Cat-Back kits. These mufflers feature an aluminize

I think "Red Bullet Mufflers" is the commonly known name, as some come in red colour only. They are high flowing mufflers.

Just weld some flanges on each end with gaskets, done.

Also you can buy high flow cats that look like Bullet Mufflers.
      Last edited by Skym; 07-26-2014, 12:42 AM.
      RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

Oooooh! Like Cherry bomb glass packed pipes. Ya could do that.

On another note, looking at getting another muffler, mine is pretty quiet but seems to be restrictive. Any recommendations?

Comment

Apexi or Nismo. Apexi are the best flowing exhaust due to the design (straight with less bends). But some exhaust's can sit lower to make them straight, which can hit speed bumps. I think custom exhaust is best, which tucks up under the car.

Should have 3x mufflers to make the DB level acceptable and have good sound.

Nismo exhaust's sound nice.
          RESPONSE MONSTER

Comment

I really love my Tomei but it's bonkers loud without the silencer. With the silencer it's good and quiet but you can't drive the car hard as it'll bend the silencer out.

Comment

This is what I have now, could I just get a nismo/apexi etc muffler to bolt on, or would I need to get another cat back system?

Comment

If don't want to change what you have, a front / dump pipe (dump pipe is also known as a outlet pipe) upgrade (Xforce brand or similar) can help if on a budget. But I would retune ECU to suit, as R33 is a high compression engine and is sensitive to mild breathing mods making the engine run lean (need to retune ECU to suit to prevent knock from occuring).

As seen here a full Xforce exhaust (similar design to a Apexi exhaust) from stock turbo gives the best hp gains (note the catback is fairly straight, no sharp 90 degree bends) -

Ignition DVD takes its project R33 Skyline to X-Force exhuast as part of the budget build up story.

goes from 133.2kw / 178.6hp when stock

to

161.5kw / 216.5hp with just a full exhaust

Here is the hp gains with FMIC, full exhaust from turbo -

Ignition DVD goes to HDI to have a new front mounted intercooler fitted to the R33 budget build up car.

There can be up to another 38hp gain (aggressive tune, half that for a mild / safe tune) with MAP based ECU, retune, so over 300hp at engine quite easily with breathing, tune mods.

From memory a full boost up (including FMIC, injectors, fuelpump, etc) with stock turbo, stock engine, aggressive tune is around 235kw at wheels at around 11psi with stock turbo (responsive setup). With a safe tune it's around 220kw at wheels (kw x 1.341 = hp) which is common (average).

But that's all dependant on the engine being healthy (do a compression check). Also the boost up includes switching to heat range 7 sparkplugs with a 0.8mm gap.
                Last edited by Skym; 08-01-2014, 03:30 AM.
                RESPONSE MONSTER

Comment

My engine is very healthy actually. Lol. And I currently have .8mm gap. (It's in my project thread)

Looking at some japspeed products currently, Xforce don't make r33 exhaust now. The japspeed products seem far price and fair quality, just the shipping from the uk may bump it up.

I'll try and have most of my parts for the winter months and then try and get someone to do a tune/dyno day when the snow melts. Just need to find a person who tunes and is willing to travel here.

Another question(I have contacted them with out a response yet) if I get a plug in play haltech ecu can I get a base map from them or do some online tuning with them? Anybody have haltech ecu?

Comment

Some tuners (ECU manufacturer would know who they are) can remote tune if they know the mods of engine, etc.
                    RESPONSE MONSTER

Comment

So I found a guy on the island that can tune! He tells me he only worked with Link G4+ ecu's. Any one here use link products? Good bad etc. I'm still leaning toward a haltech ecu but it link works good I'll go with that I guess

Comment

They are a good ECU. Just make sure it's the correct ECU for the engine. Make sure it has 6x ignition drivers, 6x injector drivers which should be one of the top Link ECU's. Link have some that are circuit boards which fit into stock ECU case (same with ViPEC, which is basically the same ECU).
                        Last edited by Skym; 08-13-2014, 01:15 AM.
                        RESPONSE MONSTER

Comment

Ya was reading up on a g4plus-plug in quick fit for our lovely breed of cars. Don't think they support the vcvt on the rb25 tho. Still trying to find out

Comment

Looks to me like they support it

Haltech does as well. You'll need a dyno to optimize the change over point though.
                            Originally posted by Z-Tuned
                            Next question is: should I stroke it??
                            Originally posted by Wingnut
                            Yes, but leave the engine alone.

Comment

Working...
                            X