Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R33 headlights + DOT compliance

Hello,

Before I ask my question, I will say that I did search and while there was some info, a lot of it was from 2008 or older... this meant lots of dead links, among other things.

Basically i'm very interested in importing an R33 GTR sometime before spring.. and it looks like one of the biggest issues i'm going to have is getting it to pass Saskatchewan inspection, mainly due to the fact that the headlights are not DOT compliant.

What i'm wondering, is what are people doing these days (now that R33s have been eligible for import for some time now, they are more and more common) to not fail inspection due to the headlights?

I've seen a lot of stuff regarding using Accord headlights, which seem to be okay for R32s, but for the 33s it just doesn't look good at all.. unless i'm missing something?

Is there no permanent solution to this? I'd rather not use some random DOT compliant headlights for inspection, then switch back to stock once it's passed. I can't see that working out well in the long run.. eventually i'd get pulled over for a random stop check or something and then i'm back to square 1.

Thanks a lot for any comments or info.

Prelude lights work fine.. not accord for R33.. however the look horrible..
    Agreed. Good to have you here Ben

Comment

Sry Im kinda asking more questions here but? Why would the R33's headlights not be DOT approved? Is it something to do with the angle, material??? Im not up to snuff on these kind of regulations.

Comment

they arent DOT approved because in Japan they dont follow the Department of Transport regulations.. Unlike us in Canada, we are to lazy/pathetic to have balls so we just clone what the US does.

also they do angle differently, but that has nothing to do with the DOT.

Comment

would s14 zenki healights work??
          no idea.. just a guess

Comment

dah-hunter... Your suggesting 92-96 Prelude headlights?? for inspection? Corners as well?

Comment

Ya.. it leaves awful gaps. and i would leave them in.. Looks to awful..

but works for inspection. swap in and swap out.

Comment

I looked at S14 when I did mine, and I think they will work. I got the prelude ones for pretty cheap so finished up using those.

It worked, and was always only temporary....

JZ Garage used to sell DOT approved ones - not sure if he still is...
                -= ECU UPGRADES =- -= LOCKOUT BARS =- -= AERO =- -= SEATS =- -= ACCESSORIES =-

-= PM ME FOR INFO =-

Comment

And yeah - corners as well...

-= PM ME FOR INFO =-

Comment

Take a read at my post

Install Audi A6 Bi-Xenon Projectors in R32

As far as I can make out they are the DOT solution to your problem. Guys in the UK have been putting them into R33 headlights for years but no one ever tried until now to put them into R32 headlights. Wow are they nice and bright and look great and look OEM. I'm serious, if you do this mod you will never be sorry. It only takes basic hand tools and If you want to do a really nice job use some air tools a drill press and a dremil.
                    " Using Fast and Honda in the same sentence is an Oxymoron "

Comment

Unfortunately they are still illegal because you are using OEM glass that due to the cuts in the glass refracts light into oncoming traffic.
                      Skyline GTR-Most fun you can have in 4.7 seconds!

Comment

Yeah good luck convincing constable plod that they are legal...

-= PM ME FOR INFO =-

Comment

Im going to send you a PM telling you where to go so they will pass it without the proper headlights... They are a legit place too.
                          BNR32- Sold
                          1998 Evolution V

Comment

Originally posted by quadracer111 View Post
                            Im going to send you a PM telling you where to go so they will pass it without the proper headlights... They are a legit place too.
                            That doesn't sound to legit to me, lol.

Comment

It is... They don't know about them needing to be dot approved... In their minds, they are legit
                              BNR32- Sold
                              1998 Evolution V

Comment

Working...
                              X