This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safety Equipment

This thread is for the discussion of safety equipment. What you have tried and how you liked it.

Also, post here if there are local roll cage builders or safety equipment vendors.
    sigpic

Highly recommended roll cage builder for the guys in the Toronto area is O'Brien Motorsports in Brampton, ON. One of the most reputable constructors in the area for those who need CASC or CARS certified cages for motorsport use. He did my 510 cage in mild steel and my GT-R cage in chrome-moly and it truly is a work of art. I crash tested the 510 cage and it stood up very well (I'm still here to write this).
    1991 Case 580K 2WD Extendahoe (aka "Brutus")
    2006 Ford F350 SD PSD Crew DRW (aka "Monster")
    2006 Kubota F2880 60" Mower & 51" Snowblower (aka "Buzz")

Comment

Though it's a small, usually overlooked safety device; I recommend a neck-brace if you're doing anything that requires a helmet.
      Helmets are heavy, and you can easily hurt your neck when your head bobbles around in an impact or an aggressive runoff. I've saved my neck a few times just using a neck brace while karting, so I couldn't imagine how useful it would be in an actual competition environment with high speeds.

I would also recommend having a glass breaker/knife combination affixed by velcro within reach of the driver. This is a pretty general piece of prevention that you can use in a road car or track car. In the event of a rollover, it allows you to cut your harness/seatbelt if it becomes stuck, as well as shatter the glass to get out if the door isn't working.

Also, Ezzie, how's the pricing at O'Brien?
      Race. Win. Live.

Comment

Originally posted by CanadianGTR View Post
        Though it's a small, usually overlooked safety device; I recommend a neck-brace if you're doing anything that requires a helmet.

Also, Ezzie, how's the pricing at O'Brien?
        I agree with the neck brace. I used one in the last two Targa Newfoundland events I entered and never once had any neck pain. That event is long days and fairly rough roads at times and it really helps to keep your head stabilized and not wobbling around. I swear by it now.

O'Brien's prices are probably in-line with any other serious cage builder (such as Four Star, etc.) but I like Ronnie's quality of workmanship - it is top notch. He is one of the few who really knows his stuff around chrome-moly. He will quote based on what you want (ie. # of points, material, etc.). My 510 steel cage was under $2K, the chrome-moly GT-R cage was in the $4-5K range but I had him do a lot of extras (such as window net, A-pillar bracing, vertical tie-ins to the rear subframe mounting points, front subframe bracing, etc.). At the end of the day, I felt I got excellent "value" and that is more important to me than the cost of the job. There are some pics of the GT-R cage he did somewhere on this site - I'll see if I can find the post (about 18 mos. ago) or you are welcome to come to my new shop and check it out in person.

Edit: Here's the link to the cage pics taken after I got it back from O'Brien's.

Did your Skyline or other Japanese import come with a nice Head Unit or would you like to keep your car stock but miss having a working FM radio? I have some extra FM band expanders for sale I bought about 10 of them and still have about 5 I am currently using one in my GTR and my Lancia. They simply hook up in line with the
        1991 Case 580K 2WD Extendahoe (aka "Brutus")
        2006 Ford F350 SD PSD Crew DRW (aka "Monster")
        2006 Kubota F2880 60" Mower & 51" Snowblower (aka "Buzz")

Comment

I would love to come check out the new shop, it's in Erin right?
          I'm pretty sure Ronnie is the guy Can-Jam uses for their cages, he does really REALLY good work and as you said, value is more important than price.

Thanks!
          Race. Win. Live.

Comment

Wasn't really sure where to ask but what do you guys recommend roll-cage wise for a daily driven GTR? I mean what material/diameter/#connection points should i be going for- i'll probably get it installed when i pull the motor to have it rebuilt (sometime in the new year). Keeping in mind i don't want to spend more cash than i "need to" since i wont likely be going over 500-600 hp. Also, since it's going to be a daily driver ideally i'd rather not restrict entry/exit too much so a swing arm, or removable bar (that i can put in for competition use) would probably be a good option right?

I plan to do some drag racing, and road racing with it so im not sure if it will be required but i'd rather be on the safe side.

Know of any shops in BC (preferably in the vancouver area- but i can pick up parts from the interior w/ a truck/van if its a good deal (not necessarily cheap, more concerned about quality... but i don't really know how much i should be expecting to spend). Sorry i'm such a clueless noob, thanks for the help in advance

Comment

Originally posted by Ravenlokk View Post
              Wasn't really sure where to ask but what do you guys recommend roll-cage wise for a daily driven GTR? I mean what material/diameter/#connection points should i be going for- i'll probably get it installed when i pull the motor to have it rebuilt (sometime in the new year). Keeping in mind i don't want to spend more cash than i "need to" since i wont likely be going over 500-600 hp. Also, since it's going to be a daily driver ideally i'd rather not restrict entry/exit too much so a swing arm, or removable bar (that i can put in for competition use) would probably be a good option right?

I plan to do some drag racing, and road racing with it so im not sure if it will be required but i'd rather be on the safe side.

Know of any shops in BC (preferably in the vancouver area- but i can pick up parts from the interior w/ a truck/van if its a good deal (not necessarily cheap, more concerned about quality... but i don't really know how much i should be expecting to spend). Sorry i'm such a clueless noob, thanks for the help in advance
              For drag racing, with that power you are talking about, you will need a cage (and other safety equipment for that matter as well, helmet, etc) and the cage will need to be built to NHRA standards. For road racing, you will also need a cage built to FIA standards (should be more or less identical to the NHRA regs) but for road racing you will need a lot of safety equipment, suit, underwear, boots, gloves, seat, fire system, kill switch, the list goes on. Be ready to spend in the 3-4000 range for most stuff with a cheaper cage. Safety equipment is one place people should not cheap out on though as this is your life we are talking about.
              sigpic

Comment

With regards to the personal safety gear (suit, gloves, etc). I find that the more expensive stuff actually is way more comfortable than the cheap stuff (at least with suits). I've tried on quite a few suits, and the cheap ones you would definitely want the underwear just to give a layer between you and the suit because it's itchy as hell once you introduce some head; however the good suits you can wear naked because they don't itch the same way.

Maybe it's just me, but that's what I've found.
                Race. Win. Live.

Comment

Anyone know if we have something like the HANS device that can be bought for less than what people in F1 and Nascar use? That thing is sure enough a life-saver, as the world has seen in F1 crashes in the last 3 years.

Probably the ONLY good thing that F1 could take and use from stupid Nascar, lol.
                  (O||O___SKYLINE___O||O)

Cheap, Reliable, Fast.....PICK TWO
                  SERENITY NOW!!!!!!
                  HEAVY METAL IS THE LAW........EVERYTHING ELSE IS JUST CRIME

Comment

They have different STYLES of head restraints but I think HANS is the only one of that style and it's pricey. But worth it.
                    Race. Win. Live.

Comment

I'm digging this thread up again.
                      I would like to know if Ezzie still has some pics of his cage. I building my own cage for the knox mountain hill climb and it has to comply to the CASC rules. I'm familiar with the rule book and the pictures of the cages for my class, but what the rules are and what cages actually look like for some cars in real life is different. Any pictures would be appreciated....thanks
                      Full-Race sponsored GTR. Anything else is half fast!

Full-Race.com

Comment

Originally posted by GTR--J View Post
                        I'm digging this thread up again.
                        I would like to know if Ezzie still has some pics of his cage. I building my own cage for the knox mountain hill climb and it has to comply to the CASC rules. I'm familiar with the rule book and the pictures of the cages for my class, but what the rules are and what cages actually look like for some cars in real life is different. Any pictures would be appreciated....thanks
                        I was over at Ezzies place some time ago and IIRC the cage was at least partially done then. It looked awesome and he was doing chromoly, which is exactly what I wanna use for mine. I dont think he really comes on this site much these days. I lost the PM from him with his phone # so if anybody has his # could you please PM me with it.

Comment

Yah for me! I found the pictures of his cage on a 510 forum

Full-Race.com

Comment

now THAT is badass, Think I should have a word with Ezzie about my cage design.

Comment

I found some more R32 GTR cage designs for those interested.

Full-Race.com

Comment

Working...
                              X