No announcement yet.

GB: Garrett GT2860's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RGB, Were BOTH your turbo actuators welded or just one? Did it seem like the other one was at some point? What's the name plate information on the turbos?

Anyone else find odd things?
    Black 1991 GTR. Serious garage stand mantle/parts car.
    Black 1990 Pulsar GTiR. Sold
    Silver 1989 GTR. Sold
    Black 2010 Subaru WRX. Weekend warrior. Sold.
    Black 2013 F-150 FX4 ecoboost. Daily driver.
    White 2012 Ford Explorer Limited. Family wagon.

Sorry for my offensive comments, I r socially retard.

start by having A ROLLING GTR then we talk u ******* mofo funzy little *****
    lol

Comment

I don't understand why my nameplate is also GT2560R but part number is 707160-5 which is GT2860R-5. Also both my actuators are welded, one is welded pretty hardcore.

Braden whats going on? Why are the welded?

Also one of the turbos has metal dust on it (by metal dust I mean dust like particles that you would get if you filed/grinded metal). Its not much I can probably clean it, but there might be more inside.

Comment

You can simply blow out all the dust. As for the welds, those may be holding the sleeve bearing in place. The actuator still works fine I'm sure. The part numbers... maybe they went with an (2560R) SR20 compressor housing with a 2860R turbine? could be typo but on all the turbines in the group buy? Maybe that's why they were cheaper? lol who knows. It doesn't say any A/R anywhere so you'd have to disassemble and measure to find out exactly what they are.

P.S. Garrett is owned by Honeywell which is a really problematic company we deal with at work with our instrumentation, electrical, PLCs, fire alarm panels, HVACs, the company has QAQC issues.
        Silver 1989 GTR. Sold

lol

Comment

Originally posted by NismoS-tune View Post
          You can simply blow out all the dust. As for the welds, those may be holding the sleeve bearing in place. The actuator still works fine I'm sure. The part numbers... maybe they went with an (2560R) SR20 compressor housing with a 2860R turbine? could be typo but on all the turbines in the group buy? Maybe that's why they were cheaper? lol who knows. It doesn't say any A/R anywhere so you'd have to disassemble and measure to find out exactly what they are.

P.S. Garrett is owned by Honeywell which is a really problematic company we deal with at work with our instrumentation, electrical, PLCs, fire alarm panels, HVACs, the company has QAQC issues.
          Yea, I got the dust out just just now. I'll forsure do a final cleaning before they go on the car.

In the other forum thats exactly what I said about the acutators. I think its welded as a safety mechanism, maybe the press fit of the piece isn't good and they patched it with a weld (I've done that). Honeywell is a pretty reputable company from my understanding and stamping GT2560r on the nameplate wouldnt happen, it would be a huge oversite and would never happen (even if they are a problematic company).

Comment

Hey guys,

Not sure why they are welded, I am contacting garrett tomorrow about both things.

I will let you know what they say!
            2009 Mercedes C63 AMG. Daily
            1969 Cooper S. Restored
            1994 Rover Mini 1460cc, 134whp, 7 port fuel injected w/ITB's, & straight cuts w/ 4.67 gearing

Comment

My $0.02

Hey guys,
              The welds I was talking about are on both turbos. And they are there by design. Don't worry if you see them.

The sleeve that connects the actuator to the exhaust housing is welded to the housing. On one of my turbos the weld was overlapping the sleeve a bit, and I guess there was contact with the actuator arm. The actuator arm on these turbos are WAAAAY tougher than the stock turbos, so to make sure everything is cool, use a pair of vice grips to test the actuator.

As for the housing sizes the A/R number should be a huge number indented in the metal on the inside wall at the flange.

PS: I installed them today !!!!!!!!! Pics coming soon.

Comment

Originally posted by RGB View Post
                Hey guys,
                The welds I was talking about are on both turbos. And they are there by design. Don't worry if you see them.

The sleeve that connects the actuator to the exhaust housing is welded to the housing. On one of my turbos the weld was overlapping the sleeve a bit, and I guess there was contact with the actuator arm. The actuator arm on these turbos are WAAAAY tougher than the stock turbos, so to make sure everything is cool, use a pair of vice grips to test the actuator.

As for the housing sizes the A/R number should be a huge number indented in the metal on the inside wall at the flange.

PS: I installed them today !!!!!!!!! Pics coming soon.
                Nice, how bad were they to install?

I'm just waiting on injectors and a fuel pump before I do the install.

Congrats RGB!!!!! Your probably the first of the group buy to install them.

Comment

Hey guys,

Everyone should have there turbo's now, McZeus received his yesterday i believe.

Any other parts you guys want awesome deals on?

Thanks,
                  2009 Mercedes C63 AMG. Daily
                  1969 Cooper S. Restored
                  1994 Rover Mini 1460cc, 134whp, 7 port fuel injected w/ITB's, & straight cuts w/ 4.67 gearing

Comment

Braden

Can you do an oil cooler group buy? Well if other people are interested that is!!!

Did you contact Garrett about the GT2560r on the nameplate?

Mitch

Comment

I just bought an oil cooler and boost controller....
                      Silver 1989 GTR. Sold

lol

Comment

I'll be switching the actuators to the OEM ones since I'm trying to stay under 450hp. I think it'll fit?? The actuators on them won't actuate under 1 bar I think. I need 0.8
                        Silver 1989 GTR. Sold

lol

Comment

Installing these turbos:

They are not "drop-in", but they are close.

The Oil Return flange is the wrong size. The one on the turbos is smaller and a different shape, but if you bore out the bolt holes on the return pipe flange, you can use it. Just have to make your own silicon gasket, and use plenty of washers to hold the bolts in place.

The turbos are big, real big. But they fit in there.

One bolt on a structural bracket for the intake side needs to be shaved down to let the Oil return pipe have enough room to be fitted over the intake housing.

And.... I think that's it.

The actuators are set for 1.2 bar. My turbo spools as early as 3000 rpm on full throttle, and you get full boost of 1.2 around 5500 rpm. (I'm not sure the tach starts going crazy once you're boosting )

Comment

Originally posted by RGB View Post
                            Installing these turbos:

They are not "drop-in", but they are close.

The Oil Return flange is the wrong size. The one on the turbos is smaller and a different shape, but if you bore out the bolt holes on the return pipe flange, you can use it. Just have to make your own silicon gasket, and use plenty of washers to hold the bolts in place.

The turbos are big, real big. But they fit in there.

One bolt on a structural bracket for the intake side needs to be shaved down to let the Oil return pipe have enough room to be fitted over the intake housing.

And.... I think that's it.
                            Ok, I'm here now installing these turbos with Wingnut and I just ran into this same problem. I really think this is crap that they can't use the same setup or atleast tell us about it in the paperwork. Oh wait, there is none. As for the bolt not giving enough room for the oil return pipe, I'm guessing that's on both? I don't feel too good about using a "custom" and boring out the holes on the oil return line but I'll see how it goes. I'm sure there's a shop in town that has gasket punches and stuff, heck I do at work and I'm an electrician lol.

Anyways I guess it's just oil so it's no big deal if I cut corners and jimmy rig it right?

**** like this makes me Fawking mad.. Atleast these turbos are dirt cheap other wise I'd expect some quality out of them. Kinda like the Sard Injectors that have connectors which don't fit unless you cut em up and modify them. Can you say WTF?
                            Silver 1989 GTR. Sold

lol

Comment

Nismo S-Tune: After having installed the Garrett Turbo's would you say that you would have preferred to go with the HKS's over the Garrett's ? I'm curious to know how you are finding them.

thanks

Corey.

Comment

Working...
                              X