Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maybe a repost...but Edmonds does it's thing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe a repost...but Edmonds does it's thing.

Quite happy with the results actually....even though, like I said, possibly a repost as it's 1 month old as of posting this....so I appologize in advance.

The Corvette basically kills the GT-R as tested in nearly every aspect.
    - Better Highway Driving (more comfortable, quieter...but a crappy seat)
    - Better through the cones.
    - Better G's on the SkidPad.
    - Better Braking Capabilities.
    - Better 1/4 Mile (even though the 'Vette still breaks loose @ 70mph and is a b1tch to launch)
    - Better Top Speed (duhh)

As tested: $118,520 (Vette - 638 HP and 604 lb-ft of torque) vs. $80,770 (GT-R - 480 HP and 430 pound-feet of torque)

I can understand Top Speed and 1/4 Mile....but to see the GT-R show so poorly on the skidpad, slalom and braking was quite sad.

Edmons basically say THIS (without actually saying it...well, they do somewhat say it):

** The GT-R is a fast car for crappy drivers to feel great in....and a proven 'sandbagger' with it's "under rated Listed Power" after the Dyno.
    (Measured Difference of 99 HP & approx 95 ft.lbs between the 2 - Listed as difference of 203 HP & 174 ft.lbs on Paper....lol)

** The Corvette is a 'Real' Driver's Car and Total experience not for the faint of heart.

Enjoy....and once again, here's that link:

Allan

New vettes are badass

a much better comparison would be against the Z06, more similar in pricing and performance I bet.
    1992 GTR - 2.7L, GT2871R's, forged bottom end, big valves, 270* cams, R34 getrag
    2000 Honda Insight - 70+mpg daily driver
    2003 Sierra 2500HD Diesel - Tow vehicle

Comment

I don't think a regular Z06 can really compete with the GTR can it ?

I think that the GTR would be the middle point in a comparison of the 3 cars.

Comment

Did they do any tests on a wet track? I'd like to see how the corvette keeps up in a low grip condition ...

The number comparison is great- but if you're going balls out on a race track you can do a lot of tweaking with $30,000. If you're daily driving it, you cant always go 100%, i'd rather have a GTR at 7/10ths...

But i cant afford either so thats irrelevant ...

Comment

Originally posted by JD74 View Post
          I don't think a regular Z06 can really compete with the GTR can it ?

I think that the GTR would be the middle point in a comparison of the 3 cars.

idk

the Z06 handles pretty damn good, and it's faster than a GTR in a straight line (maybe not with launch control, but from a roll they'd be even or the Z06 would be faster - "25" more horsepower (ignoring any possible underrating) and 700lb less weight.
          1992 GTR - 2.7L, GT2871R's, forged bottom end, big valves, 270* cams, R34 getrag
          2000 Honda Insight - 70+mpg daily driver
          2003 Sierra 2500HD Diesel - Tow vehicle

Comment

A bone stock Z06 (rated at 505 HP) usually puts down around 405-ish HP at the wheels (basically equals on the Dyno with a GTR)......so with that in mind, the GTR would probably be pretty competitive thanks to AWD (even with added Drivetrain loss).

I am just surprised that even with AWD, decent rubber and 'JDM' big brakes and all that high tech sh1t going on....the GTR threw up such a poor showing compared to a RWD car that clearly overpowers it's chassis under 100 MPH.

I would have figured that the GTR would come out on top, even better in the 1/4 mile since the ZR1 is a 'smoke machine' till it reaches 4th gear.

Frankly, I hate the new GTR and hope that Chevy has an answer for it at every turn.

Comment

Originally posted by JD74 View Post
              A bone stock Z06 (rated at 505 HP) usually puts down around 405-ish HP at the wheels (basically equals on the Dyno with a GTR)......so with that in mind, the GTR would probably be pretty competitive thanks to AWD (even with added Drivetrain loss).

I am just surprised that even with AWD, decent rubber and 'JDM' big brakes and all that high tech sh1t going on....the GTR threw up such a poor showing compared to a RWD car that clearly overpowers it's chassis under 100 MPH.

I would have figured that the GTR would come out on top, even better in the 1/4 mile since the ZR1 is a 'smoke machine' till it reaches 4th gear.

Frankly, I hate the new GTR and hope that Chevy has an answer for it at every turn.
              Well keep in mind the purpose of the new GT-R is to out perform the 911 turbo in every way but sell for 911 carrera price. From what I've read they've done that.

As far as the corvette is concerned, well I don't like it. It's always been a performance bargain but its an old man car. I also think this car is overpowered for its aging platform. lastly...have you ever sat in a corvette recently...Horrible. The interior quality of our 15 year old cars rivals them.

The higher performance versions and the aftemarket will show how high the limits are for the Nissan platform. I'm not big on the new GT-R either but If i had to choose between the two...i'd take the corvette and sell it for a 911 carrera.
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X