My thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by falcon
    Proper porting done with proper ign timing, port opening/closing. Good side seal clearancing, 3mm seals or ALS 2mm seals. New housings, lapped irons, dowel pinned.

That pretty much does it.

Then as long as you have a quality fuel system up to the task, good ignition and a good tune (along with pre-turbo water injection) there is no reason the engine shouldn't last 100k.

There are a lot of different ways to build a rotary. The one I described is how my new engine is being built. Most rotarys blow due to poor tuning, running too much boost on pump gas and poor porting templates. Too much exhaust overlap creating higher EGT's.
    you dont need new housings, recoated ones do mint, or dowl pins.
    much the same with the whole 3mm seal thing. just find that picture with the 58psi of boost that detonated and blew a hole through the rotor. Seals were still in one piece and were 2mm

corner seals though much important.

Comment

• I got new housings because I couldn't find a set that I felt were good enough for me. I also got them at a great price. The dowel pinning is not needed, but it didn't cost much extra to do. I am running ALS 2mm seals along with ALS side seals and new OEM corner seals, new oil control rings, rotor bearing etc.. They are claimed as the "unbreakable" seal... I don't plan to run more than 14PSI on pump. I may push it to 20+PSI with water injection.

Taking it one step at a time.

TROL

Comment

• Originally posted by falcon View Post
        I got new housings because I couldn't find a set that I felt were good enough for me. I also got them at a great price. The dowel pinning is not needed, but it didn't cost much extra to do. I am running ALS 2mm seals along with ALS side seals and new OEM corner seals, new oil control rings, rotor bearing etc.. They are claimed as the "unbreakable" seal... I don't plan to run more than 14PSI on pump. I may push it to 20+PSI with water injection.

Taking it one step at a time.
        How much does a decent stock RX7 go for locally these days?

Comment

• FD $6500 - $10,000 Depending on condition, mods etc..
          Agreed. Good to have you here Ben

Comment

• That's for a JDM one. A USDM one will run you 12-16k. The higher priced ones are all single turbo or VERY low KM.

It's not how much they cost, but how much they cost to keep running... remember that.

TROL

Comment

• Lhd fail

Comment

• Originally posted by Rapier46 View Post
                Lhd fail
                LHD is not fail, especially in a country where we drive on the right.

Comment

Lhd fail
                  *cough* FANBOY *cough*
                  Real Skyline owners have lost at least one to a freakish accident (*- ω -) = #dungive'a

Comment

Lhd fail
                    Don't even try and tell us that if the Skyline was sold domestically that you would have ever chosen RHD over LHD.

I guess if I remove myself from this situation (a far ways) I can begin to see your attempt at humour.
                    DISCLAIMER: If any of the above comments in this post hurt your feelings you are likely taking me too seriously; I'm probably just busting your balls. If you're unsure, feel free to PM me and we can discuss the matter privately, as to not pull the thread OT.

Comment

• well the RHD from japan would still be cheaper if the skyline was a domestic vehicle here... and most w/lower km's just like the rx-7's and supra's... price vs. condition would be the deciding factor imo what side you drive on the car makes no difference.

Comment

Lhd fail
                        Lol... typicall RHD JDM tyte Skyline fanboy. RHD RULES ALL!!

TROL

Comment

• Originally posted by curtisgoodman
                          well the RHD from japan would still be cheaper if the skyline was a domestic vehicle here... and most w/lower km's just like the rx-7's and supra's... price vs. condition would be the deciding factor imo what side you drive on the car makes no difference.
                          This is true. I could have bought a RHD RX7 from Japan, but after I thought about it... and why would I buy a RHD when I can get a LHD for a small amount of $ more? I also didn't want to take the chance of having a blown engine when it arrived.

RHD is just fine for cars we never got here... like Skylines, Kei cars etc. But when you get a RHD over a LHD when they are available here it just means you can't afford a LHD one. The only exeption to this is someone who purchased a MINT low KM one with nice modifications. They tend to cost more. But all the local FD's I see are riced out, body kits, wings, sunken failwheel offsets and stock engines. In an auction, those are the things that make the car cheaper to buy and lower grade.

I will be keeping this car for a long time, and wanted something that didn't label me to the public as some street racer RHD JDM kid. I am working towards a career in Real Estate. How would it look if your realtor showed up in a RHD car? Kind of wierd.. I just wanted something more generally accepted by the public.

TROL

Comment

• Lol have fun touring your clients around in the back of an RX7. I think you should start saving for a 4 dr bimmer as a DD.
                            DISCLAIMER: If any of the above comments in this post hurt your feelings you are likely taking me too seriously; I'm probably just busting your balls. If you're unsure, feel free to PM me and we can discuss the matter privately, as to not pull the thread OT.

Comment

• Liking rhd doesnt make me a fanboy... im pretty sure being a fanboy would be loving gtrs and everything skyline and RHD and never having owned one. that is far from me..

What you didnt see was what i was responding to.

Originally posted by falcon
                              That's for a JDM one. A USDM one will run you 12-16k. The higher priced ones are all single turbo or VERY low KM.

It's not how much they cost, but how much they cost to keep running... remember that.
                              Originally posted by Rapier46 View Post
                              Lhd fail
                              Personally, i think most of the cars that they made in Canada as the USDM version of the JDM vehicles, ended up being ******* lame. think about it. S13's, supras, soarers, the list goes on. i'd rather have a jdm s13 than a usdm one. dues to the fact that it's turbod, it has really nothing to do with the side the wheel is on. im not cdguy cmon.
                              lol

Comment

• I am. Don't worry. I think I'm going to pick up a B5 A4 or something. The RX7 will be good enough for being an assistant/open house co-ordinator which will most likely be how I start out in the field.

TROL

Comment

Working...
                                X