• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jared, call me
    shhhhhhhhhhhh it's a secret!

Comment

• Vic pd

every once in a while my 3 years studying criminal law helps me out...

The deal is...I wanted to jump straight into the fire and see what victoria PD would actually do to vehicles with modified exhausts.

Bout an hour ago I drove over to a friends house (my skyline is being polished) and jumped in his 82 VW Jetta. The jetta has minor mods...Upgraded Cam gear, Exhaust headers, 2.5 Fully custom exhaust with resonator and muffler only.

We set up to tour James bay area first, then into downtown. 15 minutes of driving around James bay we get pulled over. After the officer asked for the driver of cars license and issued him a ticket of around $100, I interjected and asked him what his reasoning for the ticket was. He tried to brush me off, but Simply put he either told me and the driver the reason now or explain his reasoning in court. His reaction, as I expected was to ask for my drivers license, which I did not show. His next action was to open his cell phone, pretend to dial, and ask for a tow truck. I said we would wait for the truck and make sure the car doesn't get damaged during tow. So, the officer says he doesnt have time to wait for a hook, and takes off with a stern warning and a VI.

Here is where we get into the letter of the law vs the spirit of the law.

Letter of the law uses the motor Vehicle act of BC to enforce the Environmental Management Act of BC. In the Motor Vehicle act, it simply says " A person must not operate a motor vehicle of a class or type that, by regulations made under this Act or under the Environmental Management Act, is required to have installed on or incorporated in it a system or device to prevent or lessen the emission into the outdoor atmosphere of an air contaminant, unless the motor vehicle has the system or device installed on or incorporated in it and makes effective use of the system or device.''

Which takes us to the Environmental Management act, which mostly deals with the manufacturing or sales of NEW vehicles. "requiring motor vehicles or engines to meet design requirements that are certified in a specified jurisdiction to conform to the emission control standards of that jurisdiction

To find out what is law in our jurisdiction for emissions control, we look at the motor vehicle emissions control warranty regulation (b.c.reg 116/96)

from this document..which for the most part deals which emissions parts the manufacturers must warranty, we get this.. "specified major emission control component" means a catalytic converter, an electronic emissions control unit or an onboard emissions diagnostic device and, without limiting the generality of the foregoing, includes a device or component designated by the Administrator of the United States Environmental Protection Agency as a specified major emission control component under section 207 (i) (2) of the United States Clean Air Act;

so..what the hell does it all mean?
      If your vehicle is equipped with the only emissions control equipment it was designed to have (the catalytic converter), then any ticket issued under the motor vehicle act is null.

therefore any valid ticket must come from the Environmental protection act regarding vehicle noise emissions.

In this act, it has a testing a regulations document which outlines testing of vehicles in DB(A). ANY passenger vehicle manufactured after march 1983 may NOT exceed 90 DB. Motorcycles follow the same dates, but are limited to 94 DB.
      for skyline related purposes...any 6 cylinder motor is to be tested stationary @3200 RPM.

If your vehicle has a cat, and it runs 90DB or less at 3200 RPM, then consult the Modified Vehicle Guidelines of 2006.
      1 -Interestingly enough, K&N type filters, which are oil based dry filters are NOT allowed.
      2- you may have a pod filter or modified/added intercooler, but not both.
      3 -Modified or aftermarket plenum chambers or throttle bodies are not permitted.
      4 -Extra or larger fuel injectors are not permitted.
      5 -Variable fuel pressure regulators are not permitted
      unless fitted by the manufacturer as original equipment.
      6 -Variable turbocharger boost valves (‘boost
      controllers’) or other means of altering boost levels
      are not permitted unless part of an original manufacturer’s fitment.
      7- ‘Blow off’ (‘pop off’) valves must be plumbed back
      into the system. Atmospheric venting is not permitted.
      8 -External wastegates are not permitted
      9 -Non-original electronic chips or computers, whether fitted as a direct replacement or in a ‘piggy-back’ configuration, are not permitted to be used in an engine management system unless it can be demonstrated that their installation and use allows the vehicle to meet the appropriate ADR. They must also be sealed or otherwise constructed so as not to be reprogrammable.

In short, there is much gayness the vic pd can use to issue a valid ticket..provided its issued correctly. lucky for my friend in the jetta, the ticket was written as an exhaust system not containing proper emissions control devices (we told the officer it did not have a catalytic converter) under the Environment management act, which is null since VW Jett's don't have emissions control devices till the late 80's. I know of a classic muscle and classic/hot rod car show being canceled in Victoria because they cant get permits for all the drivers dealing with noise pollution.
      RED 1991 GTS-T Type M
      Clarion/Alpine/Cusco/Blitz/HKS/Greddy/XS power/Glow shift/Veilside

Comment

• Originally posted by stucknot View Post
        jared, call me
        you got your coil harness still sean? good condition?
        そう面倒 ...
        *91 GT-R FOR SALE $10,000 FIRM
        (tell your friends!) lol

Comment

• Anybody going to Timmies tonight?
          Full-Race sponsored GTR. Anything else is half fast!

Full-Race.com

Comment

• i think kiel and I are.....
            1989 GTS4....

Comment

• im not...no car to drive...
              そう面倒 ...
              (tell your friends!) lol

Comment

• big turnout.....other than skylines..........
                I Love The HKS GTRS SHUFFLE

Comment

• I stopped by but too mnay civics they scared me away

Comment

• I'm having skyline withdrawl, I want my license back!
                    1991 Nissan Skyline GTR for sale - $10,000 obo.

Comment

• im truly sorry to hear that melissa ,still doesnt mean that you cant sit in it
                      and make noises, we wont tell anyone if you do
                      understeer -is when you go off the road and see the tree that kills you
                      oversteer-is when you go off the road backwards and dont see the tree that kills you

Comment

• Haha, July 26th cannot come soon enough... baaah... 48 more days.

I had to RIDE MY BIKE home from work yesterday, as I'm riding two skylines drive by, I almost cried.
                        1991 Nissan Skyline GTR for sale - $10,000 obo.

Comment

• haha, i know the feeling Mel. im without mine till who knows when. i need a new CAS as well as a few other odds and ends...
                          そう面倒 ...
                          (tell your friends!) lol

Comment

• Originally posted by CloudyGTR
                            haha, i know the feeling Mel. im without mine till who knows when. i need a new CAS as well as a few other odds and ends...
                            how much are they worth my buddy has one... i could probably get for you?
                            I Love The HKS GTRS SHUFFLE

Comment

• Sean, being the generous gent he is, is giving me his. i just need to find a way to get over there and get it to the shop...

on that note. Sean, free bottle of stolli if you help me get it there
                              そう面倒 ...
                              (tell your friends!) lol

Comment

• I'm going to Timmies tonight........anyone else?
                                Full-Race sponsored GTR. Anything else is half fast!

Full-Race.com

Comment

Working...
                                X