Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hate change, I do not like this new format... OH WELL I will get used to it

... did you guys hear on The Q yesterday that apparently if you drive through downtown Vic and you have an aftermarket exhaust you can get pulled over if it is too loud, and they will fine you some sort of ridiculous amount of money and make you change it back to stock?

A friend told me they heard this on the radio but I do not believe it, I'm trying to find someone who heard it to confirm it or tell me it's not trueee.
    1991 Nissan Skyline GTR for sale - $10,000 obo.

Comment

• Hahahahahahaha!!!! January 05!!!

Finally found something I can beat you at, J!!

Doesn't really count, though, I joined when I was living in Courtenay....

Originally posted by GTR--J
      I was Aug 05....lurking since May 05

I think Jonesy is before me..
      jonesy

Originally posted by GT-R rated
      i should also mention. there's not really much you should cheap out on with a GTR. I bought my car knowing that i would never own it, because it will always own me.

Comment

• holy cow jonesy posts! :P whats goin on man
        i was august 06 i thinks
        Need your cellphone unlocked to use on another carrier? msg me for details, fast quick and cheap.

Comment

• Originally posted by melissachequ View Post
          I hate change, I do not like this new format... OH WELL I will get used to it

... did you guys hear on The Q yesterday that apparently if you drive through downtown Vic and you have an aftermarket exhaust you can get pulled over if it is too loud, and they will fine you some sort of ridiculous amount of money and make you change it back to stock?

A friend told me they heard this on the radio but I do not believe it, I'm trying to find someone who heard it to confirm it or tell me it's not trueee.
          they better be ready to pull over every single motorcycle then, they are louder then any cars on the road

100.3 The Q! is a unique brand of rock radio which serves the unique lifestyle of rock music fans on southern Vancouver Island, led by the award-winning Ed Bain and The Q! Morning show. We're an adult rock station which features classic artists like The Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin, along with a blend of newer music from the likes of Foo Fighters and The Black Keys. We never take ourselves too seriously, but do take a serious role in being an active community partner for a wide range of causes and events in Victoria and beyond.

they got that info there, 109$ ticket first time, 600$ ticket and your car impounded if you get caught again
          Need your cellphone unlocked to use on another carrier? msg me for details, fast quick and cheap.

Comment

• here is a reply i got from the Q after i emailed them

Hi J.D,

Here's the original release from Vic P-D. The most interesting part is at the bottom where it has a number of questions for motorists to ask themselves. Hope this helps with your question.

Jennah Stavroff

Reporter, 100.3 The Q

Beginning June 1, VicPD will be targeting those vehicles with excessively noisy mufflers. As the warm weather and summer approaches in Victoria, so do the complaints about noisy vehicles.

Complaints have come to the VicPD in person, by phone, through our website and even through City Hall. Although most associate excessively noisy vehicles to motorcycles, many passenger cars and trucks are guilty of having modified exhaust systems that make them excessively noisy...and thus illegal.

The vast majority of excessively noisy mufflers are cause by a deliberate action on the vehicles owner's part to increase the amount of sound coming from the exhaust. Many shops even sell mufflers that are specifically designed to create more noise, which defeats the whole intent of a muffler's job of "muffling" the exhaust sound. Although it is not illegal to sell or install such mufflers or exhaust systems, it is illegal to operate a vehicle equipped with one.

Starting June 1, if you are the owner of one of these vehicles you will face vigorous enforcement action by the VicPD if you enter the City of Victoria.

Those that have chosen to illegally modify their exhaust systems to create more noise than other stock vehicles of the same kind, will face fines starting at $109 and will be forced to return their vehicles back to a normal authorized noise level with a full vehicle inspection to ensure this is done, at the owner's expense. Those who fail to comply with an Inspection Order will face a minimum fine of $598, have their licence plate(s) seized

and have their vehicle impounded until such time as the vehicle is brought back into compliance.

The Motor Vehicle Act contains specific authority that empowers police officers to inspect a motor vehicle (Section 219(2) MVA) for improperly equipped or defective motor vehicles (such as excessively noisy exhaust systems).

If you're confused about if your muffler or exhaust system is legal or not, you need only answer some simple and very common sense questions:

1. Has my vehicle's muffler or exhaust system been replaced with a non-stock item that increases the noise my vehicle will make compared to how it was originally manufactured?

2. Can others hear my vehicle coming from blocks away and it draws attention everywhere I go?

3. Is my car noisier than other vehicles of the same make and model that comes stock from the factory?

If you answer yes to any of these questions then you are committing an offence and will be stopped and ticketed if you enter Victoria after June 1, 2009.

Comment

• that is kinda retarded...i understand where they are coming from but fruck sakes.

new slogan for victoria

"Welcome to Victoria, don't forget your anal lube. We GONNA F*ck you!"
              そう面倒 ...
              *91 GT-R FOR SALE $10,000 FIRM
              (tell your friends!) lol

Comment

• so i guess they wont have that huge car show on the water front this year....everyone will get a ticket.... all those hotrods with sidepipes....... flowmaster 40 series 5.0L . and motorbikes.... shame on the victoria..... the cool factor just got diminished... lets all get smart cars! ill tell u ill be the first to put a hayabusa motor in mine...
                I Love The HKS GTRS SHUFFLE

Comment

• Hmmm. Interpretation of the Motor Vehicle Act appears to be up to the personal discretion of the officer. Furthermore, it appears to be a requirement of a police officer to be versed in the exhaust system original equipment specifications for every year, make, and model of motorized vehicle on the road. With no quantitative guidelines, the door is open for error, no? Could an enforcement be challenged in court? What exactly is the court's definition of loud?
                  Or is it a bit like drinking and then driving? If there is over .08% content of blood alcohol, you are most definately quilty of an offence. But one could also be found guilty of impairment even if one's blood alcohol level is .02%.
                  Any lawyers care to discuss?

Comment

• So this is only in Victoria? Sooo couldn't I just say that I am from Shawnigan lake, and it isn't illegal to have a modified exhaust there... and I'm only 'just visiting' Victoria... just like if you came from Alberta, where you don't have to have DOT headlights (or whatever it is they don't have to have compared to BC) and just say you are 'just visiting' BC from AB so they aren't able to give you a ticket...

Did that make sense? I'm still half asleep.

This is so stupid. Motorcycles and street bikes are louder then my car with an aftermarket exhaust and they only have stock exhaust, are they also going to ban those as well then?????

What about people who put exhausts on their cars before this became a law?? Just does not seem fair to me at all.

Another question, can we still have aftermarket exhausts but have silencer's in them to make them quieter?
                    1991 Nissan Skyline GTR for sale - $10,000 obo.

Comment

• Originally posted by EkostonS View Post
                      holy cow jonesy posts! :P whats goin on man
                      i was august 06 i thinks
                      Haha ya I'm still out here, floating in the interwebs lol... I've been caught up in my RC airplane thing so much I don't spend a lot of time on any forums anymore. I'm doin fine, car still runs like a top, still need to get my trunklid fixed lol, nothing really changes does it? How you keepin?

Hey J: I'm trying to sell my Liver so I can pick up those wheels from you... The Cuban Dr. I spoke to made it sound pretty promising... and I'd get at least $2500 for it, so I could afford tires too lmao!!!
                      jonesy

Originally posted by GT-R rated
                      i should also mention. there's not really much you should cheap out on with a GTR. I bought my car knowing that i would never own it, because it will always own me.

Comment

• I smell a petition might start after the tickets begin to be issued...

Plus, WTF is Cody going to do?
                        shhhhhhhhhhhh it's a secret!

Comment

• Originally posted by jonesy View Post
                          Haha ya I'm still out here, floating in the interwebs lol... I've been caught up in my RC airplane thing so much I don't spend a lot of time on any forums anymore. I'm doin fine, car still runs like a top, still need to get my trunklid fixed lol, nothing really changes does it? How you keepin?
                          RC airplanes are fun, my brother used to rock the RC helicopters they were pretty sweet, im doin pretty good out in Calgary now got outta Duncan and outta bc, lookin for work which seems to be pretty slim pickins right now, rigs need to start back up i think :P

and buy a gunmetal spoilerless trunk lid man :P

Comment

• What am I gonna do? I don't really care man my decibals from my exhaust are way lower than exceptable limits. (The law is about exhaust noise polution) Unless someone wants to correct me but my motor is way louder than the exhaust.... You can only hear my exhaus when its at idle other than that motor makes the noise. Thats not my fault I blame nissan not me.

Comment

• unless u hit your limiter cody then ur exhaust becomes really loud :P

Comment

• oooh yeah, who needs a coil coilpack harness....It's me!!! (most likely)
                                そう面倒 ...
                                *91 GT-R FOR SALE $10,000 FIRM
                                (tell your friends!) lol

Comment

Working...
                                X