No announcement yet.

Best Option To Reach Reliable 450-500 HP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a properly matched single would be better in every situation other then transient response in which the twins would win.

Comment

Even in transient response the properly selected single is gonna win. Some numbnuts on GTROC compared HKS 2510's and a T51R and said "twins rule!!!" but if you compared something like 2860R's and a divided housing GT35R, I don't think you'd see the 2860's winning in any way.
      1990 Skyline GT-R - Jet Silver Metallic
      It'll run someday

Comment

Always one up on me ryan, damn.

I need to take a gander over there at that.

Comment

Originally posted by mcfly View Post
          a properly matched single would be better in every situation other then transient response in which the twins would win.
          It feels like I'm on fresh alloy.

Up to 600whp, I will dust ANY single turbo RB26 with twins - GT35 with pulse separator colletor or ANYTHING else. Granted it does take some tuning and parts selection is critical, but a pair of 2530's will dust a GT35R in transient response and mid-range power. The 2530s will just edge out the GT35R in top end. Although I haven't used a GT35R exactly, I have used other singles similar in size. I am familiar with how the GT35R reacts in general and it will not out respond nor out power a pair of 2530s. This is even more true on pump gasoline.

Over 600whp is a whole different story. Singles generally work better over 600whp on RBs. Well, actually even this statement is questionable up to about 800whp. Beyond 800whp, singles definitely work better on RBs.
          Eric Hsu
          motoIQ.com

Comment

Eric,

If the same meticulous attention was put into the development for a responsive single to match the 2530's i cannot see why it would ever lose.

I must agree that at this current moment twins will be best, but thats is only because they have been built in enough configurations that you can do anything with them.

No one will ever win this battle

Comment

Hey Guys,
              Well I really wanted to buy a mines,tomei,TS,Rips,R34,Jun complete motor, but the budget will not allow it yet... What do you guys recommend are a must upgrade on a 89 RB26Dett before upgrading turbos,injectors,fuel componets, etc etc

Im leaning towards a having the enigne rebuilt with forged internals, maybe 2.7 stoker kit..

Comment

rod bolts
                oil gallery orifice
                oil pump+new style drive
                front diff
                pistons
                rods

in that order

Comment

Rod Bolts – ARP $155 (http://www.japaneseperformanceparts.com)
                  Oil Pan Baffle Plate – Tomei $ 200
                  oil gallery orifice – Tomei $ 10
                  oil pump+new style drive - Tomei High Capacity Oil Pump - $ 1500
                  front diff – Quaife LSD - $ 1500 & Greddy Diff Case - $ 100
                  Water Pump – Nismo - $ 500
                  Tomei 2.8 Stoker kit - $5500 – (open to other piston and rod options)

Est Total : $ 9000
                  $9000 and many parts are still missing……..

As for the turbo upgrade I wanted to do the same as GTR—J , with stock turbo housing with TD-05-16 G internals.

What do you think ?

Comment

stock r33 crank
                    carrillo rods with carr bolts
                    jun/cosworth pistons
                    jun oil pump
                    jun head studs

those are my preferences.

there is no such thing as a nismo water pump, only n1.
                    i also dont like the quaife diff's but to each their own. depends on use.

Comment

Well Mcfly, I know your build is a drag monster, My application is street, and road course 4-5 times a year. But when at the track, I want to drive hard.
                      I need to stay in an affordable build and at the same time do it right the first time. Suggestions and parts pricing and where to get the parts would be great. Also a recommended engine builder in GTA, Ontario (ppl in the GTA that have done a rb26 rebuild)

thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Lookn4aGTR
                        an affordable build and at the same time do it right the first time
                        I don't think this even exists. I tried, came in very close to 20K said and done. I skimped out on the oil pump, went with N1.

You can do it on the cheap, if you don't want big power.
                        1998 Stagea AutechVersion 260RS
                        1991 GTi-R "Angry White Ghost" - FOR SALE

Comment

well 450-500 hp isnt big hp in a rb26 imo. See wing nut your build came to near 20g, thats what the mines and tomei complete engines cost...

Comment

yeah skylines and cheap don't go in the same sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by mcfly
                              Eric,

If the same meticulous attention was put into the development for a responsive single to match the 2530's i cannot see why it would ever lose.

I must agree that at this current moment twins will be best, but thats is only because they have been built in enough configurations that you can do anything with them.

No one will ever win this battle
                              You're right - nobody will ever win this battle. Except for twins. ;-)
                              Eric Hsu
                              motoIQ.com

Comment

From a theoretical engineering standpoint a single will be better, and I can't see how a set of cast 18 year old manifolds with T25 housings and a compromised, awkward downpipe design is going to perform better than a properly matched single on a divided manifold with a merge collector, and a good smooth downpipe.
                                1990 Skyline GT-R - Jet Silver Metallic
                                It'll run someday

Comment

Working...
                                X