Best Option To Reach Reliable 450-500 HP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tokes View Post
    From a theoretical engineering standpoint a single will be better, and I can't see how a set of cast 18 year old manifolds with T25 housings and a compromised, awkward downpipe design is going to perform better than a properly matched single on a divided manifold with a merge collector, and a good smooth downpipe.
    In reality, this thread was after "reliable 450-500hp", and Eric has built plenty of RB's in that range, using twins. Theoretically, anything, even NA, could be better then twins, with unlimited build funds and unlimited R&D facilities.
    1998 Stagea AutechVersion 260RS
    1991 GTi-R "Angry White Ghost" - FOR SALE

Comment

i call dibs on the rotary head.
      ryan can have the single turbo design.

if only i had 80k or so for a head.

Comment

Originally posted by tokes View Post
        From a theoretical engineering standpoint a single will be better, and I can't see how a set of cast 18 year old manifolds with T25 housings and a compromised, awkward downpipe design is going to perform better than a properly matched single on a divided manifold with a merge collector, and a good smooth downpipe.
        You're right. That's why you don't use the stock parts for a sub 600hp all out build. You use tubular manifolds, large 76mm diameter outlets, 76mm x 2 downpipes, etc. Yes, by this time you're in it for about the same as a single turbo kit. Except you have low end and mid range torque.

You can bolt on a pair of 2530's, some minor exhaust manifold porting, downpipe, low lift/duration cams, intercooler, exhaust, supporting fuel system mods, and good ECU and with good tuning and pump gas, do anywhere from 470-510whp (depending on engine health) reliably. We've done it at least 30 times. I believe going for 500ish with 2530's is cheaper than a single - unless you go for the ebay made in China crap that will fall apart in 3 days.
        Eric Hsu
        motoIQ.com

Comment

Guys I only have 8grand aside right now for this build, So it looks like Im waiting till next winter.....
          Someone mcfly,wingnut,eric , write up a quick build sheet for reliable 500 hp @ 10-15g if possiable. It wouldnt only benifit me, but all the other ppl thinking about doing the same

that would help me out alot

Comment

I don't have an exact list spelled out, but you can check this car out here:

BNR34

This car is a relatively simple set up with all the correct parts and proper tuning. You won't need the extensive head work or billet camshafts for your goals. Several people on Fresh Alloy have used this car as their target for their build.
            Eric Hsu
            motoIQ.com

Comment

But that is a newer R34 without the oil drive problems like on our early model R32's. I think you could do it on an 8K budget, rebuild the motor with forged pistons, a crank collar, and mostly OEM other stuff. That way you know its fresh and built right and not going to crack a ringland. Add some 2860R low mounts, elbows/downpipes, PFC, Z32 MAF's, some bigger injectors and a walbro 255HP in-tank and I think you could pull it off with an 8000 dollar budget.
              1990 Skyline GT-R - Jet Silver Metallic
              It'll run someday

Comment

I need a Sponsor !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

There are no oil pump drive problems on a BNR32 if you keep the revs below 7500 on a street car. Occasional track days are fine on street tires. Anything sticker than street tires and you'll need oil baffling improvements. A good tuner can make the 470-510whp at 7500.

Sponsors? Don't we all need them.....
                  Eric Hsu
                  motoIQ.com

Comment

Eric you could be one....
                    XS - Canada... lol

Comment

i had pitched that one in the past

only it was just a shop up north.

Comment

Originally posted by Lookn4aGTR View Post
                        Eric you could be one....
                        XS - Canada... lol
                        When you guys see an XS Engineering NASCAR, then we might think about it.

Originally posted by mcfly
                        I had pitched that one in the past
                        You seem to be one of the guys on the forums who seem to know what's going on. You do your homework.
                        Eric Hsu
                        motoIQ.com

Comment

I am also the only one that can blow rb26's up by looking at them;-)

either that or i run into core shift far too often.

Comment

Well guys.. I was going to slap gt2860rs on and take care of the fueling and cooling and just keep the boost at .7 bar. And then have a spare engine block and oil pan etc, and build that up until its complete, and then swap into the car... but I've decided to keep it at its current specs for another year and then decide from there

thats my update

Peter

:drive:

Comment

Working...
                            X