Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ViPEC - Is it the new ECU of the Future?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ViPEC - Is it the new ECU of the Future?

Has anyone seen this new Plug n Play ECU, or has any knowledge about it? The ViPEC looks like it could be the very best one out there. The Quick tune software is just amazing. You have to see the video on it. Add a dual-stage boost control solenoid and a Wide Band O2 like the Innovate Motorsports with the LC-1 display and throw out the MAF’s and all the associated problems they create or have to work around.

I welcome everyone’s feed back on it. What makes it be better or worse

David

Welcome To Vi-Pec Vi-PEC fuel injection and engine management systems were developed to fill a gap in the market for ECUs that were reliable, powerful,

" Using Fast and Honda in the same sentence is an Oxymoron "

Not to sound like a broken record on this topic, but many know my feelings on claims of 'ECU Superiority' and such.......I will elaborate:

Making a claim like BEST is a double edged sword of sorts. What makes it the BEST ? Features ? Support ? Being Common ? Accepted ? Tried ? Tested ? True ?

I will say this:
    In my HUMBLE Opinion, the PowerFC will always remain at the TOP of the heap (even if NOT #1) because of it's acceptance by the community, it's common useage, it's ongoing support and the fact that it is NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE for any ONE Tuner to run a Monopoly on Tuning it....because most people just 'can'.

The Vipec is currently a '1 Tuner' Show in Alberta, similar to how the HKS F-Con V Pro is in Alberta (Reg Reimer being the F-Con GOD and everyone else being paled by comparison).

As I have said in the past.....I would rather use a second rate item (not that the PFC is that bad, as I run D-Jetro) than be monopolized.

Talk to GTR-Dad, he currently runs it and likes it I believe.
    Allan

Comment

PS: 'They' are working on 'Autotune' for the PFC currently by way of PFC AutoPilot (a soon to be Open Source Software Project).

Peace.
      Allan

Comment

Originally posted by JD74 View Post
        Making a claim like BEST is a double edged sword of sorts. What makes it the BEST ? Features ? Support ? Being Common ? Accepted ? Tried ? Tested ? True ?

[B]it is NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE for any ONE Tuner to run a Monopoly on Tuning it....because most people just 'can'.

The Vipec is currently a '1 Tuner' Show in Alberta, similar to how the HKS F-Con V Pro is in Alberta (Reg Reimer being the F-Con GOD and everyone else being paled by comparison).
        Your Right, " Best " is subjective and I could have put it better.

I didn't know about the auto tune for the PFC being developed. But it stikes me that the big boys on the block have been sitting on thier back ends to long and not moving forward, for a long time. Now they have to play catch up, as sorts because of these new guys. I agree that the PFC has been out for a while and has a sizable following now. But at one time they were the new kid on the block. I find the PFC to be over priced for what you get.

I liked the fact that I can tune it myself. Where, like you say the others need to be tuned by the monopoly gods. ViPEC may have just started out with the guys at LightSpeed but The Skyline shop in BC is dealing with them too and like any new product it takes a while to grow the supprot and the following.

Feature wise, does the PFC have anything that the ViPEC V44 PnP doesn't?

David

Comment

There's a saying - "To be the best is a matter of opinion".

I would think you choose a ECU that suits your cars application, like street, racetrack, drag, etc.

For street use or track use and fun type of dragracing use, PowerFC or stock ECU is more than enough.

PowerFC is used on this R34 GTR that produces around 1017hp at wheels or roughly 1350hp at engine -

That's not the most powerfulest RB engine the Apexi ECU has been used on.

For competition use I like Motec ECU, because you can relocate CAS (Crank Angle Sensor) to the front of crank, change TPS to fly by wire (just like what the new Nissan's have), fit a Motec ignition module + coilpacks for above 1000hp on a RB26. That's just to name few things that can be done with Motec ECU on a RB motor. It would be considered the most reliable ECU on the market at the moment. It's been proven on so many racecars, dragcars, etc to be reliable and produce the results. One Porsche I know of has achieved around 116 race wins and 3 championships with Motec ECU installed. Also Motec ECU has been installed on a 4000hp+ Nitro burning engine. I think it's proven itself to be one of the best ECU's.
          RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

SDS EFI FTMFW!!!!!!

the most damn simpliest system ive ever seen/used/ installed...

it took me longer to remove my stock engine harness, than installing my sds...

Comment

That's another good ECU. I think there's a SDS ECU installed on a 10 sec RB20DET powered Silvia in Canada.
              RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

I can't see the vipec being the "ecu of the future", to be honest. Ray Hall worked for Autronic and is now behind ViPEC, so I can see them being quite similar.

The PFC is always going to have a calling because it is so affordable. If you search around you can get yourself setup with a PFC for 700-800 bucks, and that hits home with a lot of people. I believe the vipec is quite a bit more.
                1990 Skyline GT-R - Jet Silver Metallic
                It'll run someday

Comment

The only SDS i tuned was an ancient 8x8 map, i do hope they have come up from that resolution.

best = motec
                  but best cost's too much8)

Comment

For the record, here's what I sent MR666 via PM.

The only thing I'd add is that although the ViPEC has more adjustability than the PowerFC, the base map Lightspeed posts on their web site will get you close of most of them. The autotune fueling is pretty simple and works great. For someone who actually knows how to determine what ignition advance is optimum for a given engine and application, typing in the numbers is the same on the ViPEC as the Power FC.

As with tuning any ECU, be very careful to do only what you know you're capable of before you lay down any more than very modest power. Damage happens the fastest when you're making the most power. The consenequence of mistakes are typically expensive, so behave accordingly!!

Originally posted by tokes View Post
                    I can't see the vipec being the "ecu of the future", to be honest. Ray Hall worked for Autronic and is now behind ViPEC, so I can see them being quite similar.

The PFC is always going to have a calling because it is so affordable. If you search around you can get yourself setup with a PFC for 700-800 bucks, and that hits home with a lot of people. I believe the vipec is quite a bit more.
                    Good comments. The only suggestion I've got for those comparing Autronic and ViPEC ECUs is to plug in a flat timing map and do a side by side comparison watching for timing drift through the rev range. Buy the one that consistently sparks when you want it to.

Cheers,
                    Dan

Originally posted by GTR-Dad
                    D,
                    The ViPEC is a great ECU. My car was tuned at Lightspeed when the ECU was installed and Cam tuned it to be 'fast, fun, and safe' by resisting the urge to wring every last ounce of power of the engine. 388 whp feels pretty strong! Particulalry with the car pulling 90% of peak torque from under 4000 rpm to over 7000!
                    There is no knock control on this ECU, which I would want if I were running an edgier tune. The big brother ViPEC has this, so if I didn't mind spending more and wanted knock control I'd consider that one rather than the V44 BNR32 plug and play unit. There's still the question of how much you should trust the factory knock sensors... Their output varies with installation torque, so you know there's room for uncertainty...
                    The features available on the ViPEC are outstaning. Launch control and flat shifting bring 21st century power control features to 20 yr old cars. Cool! 4th and 5th dimension map correction capability allows you to grab a MAP signal right from the balance tube rather than drilling and tapping into the throttle bodies.

Bottom line is - great product, great shop!

Cheers,
                    Dan
                    Originally posted by MR666
                    I was talking to Jeff at Lightspeed about the V44 Plug n Play ECU for my car. Which by the way is very simular to yours. Too Funny. What do you think of the ViPEC system? Any comments good or bad, I'd be interested. Would you do anything different?

D
                    sigpic
                    The Beaumont Connection

Comment

Originally posted by mcfly View Post
                      The only SDS i tuned was an ancient 8x8 map, i do hope they have come up from that resolution.

best = motec
                      but best cost's too much8)

8X8?, its always been 16X16 ...... i have a system from about 12 years ago, and its as easy as the newest system im using.....

why do you need more map resolution when all you do is scrool and add fuel where its needed...>>> and setting a base curve is the easiest thing you can do,,, set your base, set your timing under load, and make your own curve. bada boom bada bing...

Comment

disregard that, i was thinking tec.

8x8 will work sure, but you can do it a whole lot more precisely with 16x16 or even more so with the new 32x32 systems. If you are willing to take the time you can pull out a better tune.

Comment

Originally posted by MR666 View Post
                          I didn't know about the auto tune for the PFC being developed. But it stikes me that the big boys on the block have been sitting on thier back ends to long and not moving forward, for a long time. Now they have to play catch up, as sorts because of these new guys. I agree that the PFC has been out for a while and has a sizable following now. But at one time they were the new kid on the block.
                          It's no secret that official PFC Production/Development has been dead in the water since the demise of the R34 from showroom floors....but it has been taken over by 3rd party outfits such as Datalogit NZ and now the Autopilot guy. Just a couple of 'small' guys trying to better an already great product. The so-called 'BigBoys' are officially OUT of the game and have been for quite some time now.
                          Not bad for support today still eh ?
                          ..and software features are being added as we speak

Comment

I should explain why

Maybe I should explain why it was my opinion that the ViPEC is the after market ECU of the future is as follows. Right from the start this ECU has a long list of built in features that can only be obtained from the other Manufacturers through aa long list of options or are not available:

The ViPEC Series :
                            Comes in both Plug n Play (fits into original ECU case), and stand alone designs. The PnP has a few more in/outs than the reg. V44
                            Operates on 4 to 12 cylinder engines, (fuel and Spark)
                            MAF, MAP and TPS control
                            MAP control with 5 built in MAP sensors to 7 Bar
                            Built in Barometric sensor to correct for barometric changes in real time
                            An exhaust gas analyzer can be wired directly into it.
                            Electronic Throttle control
                            Built in temperature inputs for cold starts and running
                            Variable valve timing control up to 4 cams
                            Closed loop for low speeds, on boost and Cruise fuel efficiency
                            Boost Control that can be set for each gear and or load
                            Fuel map 20 x 22 = 440 zone, configurable for load and RPM
                            5 D Fuel Mapping
                            Precise control of injectors and from one cylinder to another
                            Spare injector drivers for Alcohol injection or similar.
                            Three different types of ignition inputs-Reluctor, Optical or Hall Sensors
                            Preset trigger patterns for all the Automakers
                            Turbo cool down function
                            Antilag function
                            Launch Control with 2-step rev limiter
                            Traction Control in first gear
                            Flat shifting function even for H pattern
                            Data Logging
                            A/C Control
                            Cooling Fan control
                            USB connection
                            A host of digital and analog inputs and outputs

Optional Knock Control with updates software

Then the ViPEC QuickTune software, well that’s a God Send

This New design has it all ! And at a Reasonable Price.

David

Comment

Again, most flexible doesn't always mean BEST.......everything has a purpose, right ?

I think it all comes down to application, useage and availability of support.

Comment

Working...
                              X