Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Single or Twin plate clutch for drag ?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • cobrAA
    replied
    Originally posted by RWDragoon View Post
    OS Giken Twin for the win! For your power level you can run the STR2C, VERY easy to drive every day, will handle 500whp for a very long time as well! I sell these clutches all the time! My favorite! The Quality of OS Giken is second to none!
    I likes your review, this is exactly what I want ( driveable, and last long enought ( let say maybe at least 50 5k launch) ). BUT.. since your selling them, I don't know if you are trying to make a sales there or it's a honest review but I doubt you would be lying haha. So, you have a pm about replacement disk.

    Leave a comment:


  • RWDragoon
    replied
    OS Giken Twin for the win! For your power level you can run the STR2C, VERY easy to drive every day, will handle 500whp for a very long time as well! I sell these clutches all the time! My favorite! The Quality of OS Giken is second to none!

    Leave a comment:


  • Daryl @ RightDrive
    replied
    A lighter flywheel will help with response, it won't make it softer though.

    Leave a comment:


  • cobrAA
    replied
    Well, I guess I will have to do some research now, I found 3 good offers on different forums. 2 for ogura twin and 1 for a os giken twin ( pretty much same prices, difference of like 150$). DJ is also selling a ogura single for 350$.

    Would a flywheel help make the clutch ''softer'' ?

    Leave a comment:


  • cobrAA
    replied
    Originally posted by DJ View Post
    well if the clutch is holding up and you ran that time then you have to start thinking .Is it your driving thats giving you such a poor time? if you're on a budget a 6 puck sprung Act clutch rated for 500ftq should be well enough.
    I'm seriously not the best driver out there, but I manage to do 13.2 with my 280whp set-up. How the hell can I only do 15 and best was 14 with 200whp more lol? My friend who run 12.2 with his gtr took mine for a drag run and he said my clutch is slipping way too much.

    Leave a comment:


  • Brendan
    replied
    I had an OS twin in my old GTR, can't recall what model though. I beat the hell out of that clutch... countless launches and it just kept taking it. Not bad to drive on the street either, IMO it was easier than some aggressive single plates I've had before.

    Leave a comment:


  • mitch32
    replied
    Based on what people say the nismo is easy to drive, but I can say its not hard to drive my exedy twin (I admit at the begninning it was hard to get used to and to breakin). I've driven a OS Giken triple plate it was not hard. It's just the stop and go thats a bit tricky.

    Leave a comment:


  • mitch32
    replied
    Forgot to say in my last post, they measure clutches based on torque. It's impossible to accurately measure a horsepower rating. Its torque measured at the crank. Basically they take a huge torque wrench they put it in the center of the clutch (the clutch is bolted down to the floor) and they torque the clutch until it slips. When the clutch slips then they find the torque rating (the also have a safety factor involved, aka if it slips at the factory with 500ft-lbs then they divide it by a number and thats the rating actual).

    Leave a comment:


  • frankiman
    replied
    power-wize i agree,
    but for driveability, the copper twin is the best hands down

    Leave a comment:


  • mitch32
    replied
    Are you sure its slipping? What was your trap speed and 60ft time? From that I can tell if your slipping.

    Like Daryl said don't go with a Nismo, its for circuit not for drag launching. Frankiman was half right, don't cheap out, but do not get a Nismo. ORC is good, OS Giken is good (supposedly they are the same clutch). There's a lot of guys on the Australian forums who use up an entire Nismo Twin on 10 hard launches with 500whp. Exedy Clutches are good and they are the best bang for buck but still very expensive, the cheapest exedy twin is 2000$ CND. Its not necessary to do a twin there's guys dragging on single plates but its just the reliability that becomes a factor. Bully makes a single for like 600$ thats good for 800lb-ft or torque and its located in Ottawa (its actually Ottawa Clutches that owns Bully).

    Leave a comment:


  • NismoS-tune
    replied
    Nismo twins are great but there are better twins out there. ORC, OSG, ATS/carbonetic (900ps!)

    Leave a comment:


  • DJ
    replied
    well if the clutch is holding up and you ran that time then you have to start thinking .Is it your driving thats giving you such a poor time? if you're on a budget a 6 puck sprung Act clutch rated for 500ftq should be well enough.
    Last edited by DJ; 07-28-2010, 01:51 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • frankiman
    replied
    torque > hp
    @crank

    Leave a comment:


  • cobrAA
    replied
    Budget is pretty limited since I already paid a couple of thousand on my built to make it to 425whp. I will stick with twin plate, I think a twin plate is easier to drive around in the traffic than a third plate :P.

    What should I take care more of a clutch spec ? pss ( HP) or torque . And when it say HP, is it at wheel or at the crank ?

    Leave a comment:


  • skyline_steve
    replied
    i am running a ORC tripple in my car and its is just awesome, came with release bearing and flywheel. I would strongly recomend this clutch if the budget will allow. the tripple i bought is rated for just under 1000 ft/tq i was told by shop.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X