Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'The weekend Terror' Project

INTRODUCTION

My original plan was to buy a Silver JDM 1993 supra RZ however they weren't available until 4 years later so I went
    for the second choice. I bought my first GTR in March of 2005 and joined GTRC in October of 2006 with a different alias.
    Within a few years I began thinking about getting a different car as I wanted a black one. I started a new GTRC account
    in June of 2008 as I started casually shopping for another car. Nearly 7 months later I found the car I wanted and
    within a few weeks the deal was made. Everything that was meant to happen to the Silver car is now happening to the
    Black GTR.

CURRENT OTHER RIDES

Silver 1989 Skyline R32 GTR. 129,732km. All original except for exhaust system and HKS filters. Good condition.
    For sale, open to offers. Located in Alberta, no test pilots or tire kickers.
    Magnetic Metallic Grey 2009 Tacoma 4x4 Sport, 6spd. 16,430km, fully loaded. Daily driver and winter beater.

THE PROJECT CAR

The purpose of my project is to build this car as best as I can without sacraficing too much streetability
    and comfortability. It's been taking some time to buy parts as I always waited for the good deals or when
    the canadian dollar was high. The wife already hates my car so ultimately, I can't piss her off when driving with her
    or go nuts on the spending. If I sell the other GTR, I'll have more funds for the engine. I look to build the car once
    and drive it the way it's meant, so I have no room for cheap/unreliable components. The goal is to have fun
    and see no more than 6,000km a year, no winter driving, with some track days. The car is not built for drag
    racing but rather time attack and grip racing. Originally I was going with an Apexi L-jetro Power FC then moved on to
    a D-jetro Apexi Power FC. Finally I made the right choice and went with a more modern VIPEC ECU. I also sold the
    Lemans/GT turbos in favor of Garrett 2860R-5s for reliability.

The biggest thanks goes out to my wife Laura who hasn't sold my car yet. Mega thanks to Daryl for being the number 1 supplier of my parts (though he hasn't figured me out just yet), Anthony (wingnut) of Lightspeed for being the "go-to" guy since the begining, Mat (Velders) for being another nearby GTR guy with the time to help and make GTR ideas happen and Dan (GTRdad) for always having the most reasonable answers to "why and what"!!!

THE BADS

- An engine miss was found before getting the car home and had to be parked out of town. A broken ignition
    harness connector, faulty ignition coil (loose pin) and broken ignitor ground wire were replaced/repaired.
    - Multiple vacuum leaks were found: A 1" deep hole was drilled into the intercooler, most likely when installing
    the bumper. An uncapped vacuum line was left under the dash, possibly from a removed AM boost gauge.
    - The car never saw 1 bar due to vacuum leaks.
    - Rear turbo had internal/external oil leaks.
    - OEM clutch fan was seized.
    - 2 OEM injectors were leaking.
    - Power steering leaks in multiple places.
    - The hood has many dents in it.
    - Blown driver side inner CV boot.
    - AWD not always functional due to broken wire in harness for throttle feedback.
    - Had an exhaust leak from the rear manifold bolts loosening up and blowning out the metal gasket (turbo side).
    - Lots of rattles inside the car (rear speaker shelf)
    - Also has an annoying/constant click in the vents when using heating/cooling on the "face" mode only.
    Last edited by NismoS-tune; 03-11-2011, 04:57 AM.
    Black 1991 GTR. Serious garage stand mantle/parts car.
    Black 1990 Pulsar GTiR. Sold
    Silver 1989 GTR. Sold
    Black 2010 Subaru WRX. Weekend warrior. Sold.
    Black 2013 F-150 FX4 ecoboost. Daily driver.
    White 2012 Ford Explorer Limited. Family wagon.

Sorry for my offensive comments, I r socially retard.

start by having A ROLLING GTR then we talk u ******* mofo funzy little *****
    lol

THE SPECS

Black 1991 Skyline R32 GTR, Purchased at 129,366km. 256awhp and 219 tq.

The car came with these modifications:

- TEIN Type-HA Adjustable Coilover Suspension
    - CUSCO Front Upper Control Arms
    - KAKIMOTO 3.5” Cat-back Exhaust with silencer
    - HKS Speed Defencer
    - PIVOT Full Auto Turbo Timer
    - BLITZ Radiator Cap
    - HKS Anniversary Edition Power Air Intakes
    - 2.5” GReddy Downpipe, Test-pipe with shield
    - Factory Boost Restrictor Removed
    - OEM front and rear Strut Tower Bars
    - GReddy Spark Plugs - HICAS lock bar
    - COMPUSTAR Pro Alarm
    - ALPINE CDA-9885 Head Unit with Ipod Cable
    - KICKER KS 6.2 front Speakers
    - ALPINE SPS-17C2 rear Speakers
    - Custom-built trunk Sub enclosure
    - HKS/ TOMMY KAIRA Front Bumper
    - TBO Sideskirts
    - TBO Nismo-look Rear Spats
    - NISMO a/m fibreglass Rear Chibi Spoiler
    - NISMO 260 km/h Speedometer
    - NISMO Leather Shift Knob
    - N1 non-projector headlights
    - JZ GARAGE HID headlights
    - JZ GARAGE LEDs: front DRLs, rear turn signals
    - ZPE multi-pronged cluster LEDs
    - Replaced ALL interior dash lights
    - 5% tint on 3 rear windows
    - DOT compliant 240 rear sidemarkers/3rd brake light
    - New Black Leather Shift and E-Brake Boots
    - Z-tune Air Diversion Plate
    - Socketed ECU
    - Pivot Turbo Timer
    - GTRC Member “EliteGTR” Aluminum GT-R Dead Pedal
    - GTRC Member “SpartanAir” custom Skyline Cupholder
    - DOT Compliant Corsica headlights
    - Timing Belt Service at 106,000 km
    - Tie rods replaced all around
    - Starter and Alternator replaced
    - Front/Rear Rotors, Pads, and ATE Super Blue Fluid
    - Fresh fluids: Tranny, transcase, diffs: Redline Synth
    - Radiator flushed
    - Replaced Speedo cable
    - Replaced Valve Cover Gaskets
    - HKB Aftermarket Steering Wheel Hub
    - Full maintenance records from 106,000km.

-Most of these parts have been removed/replaced

CURRENT PARTS LIST INSTALLED ON CAR SINCE PURCHASE (AS OF SEPTEMBER 2009)

- Deleted

CURRENT PARTS LIST AWAITING INSTALLATION (AS OF SEPTEMBER 2009)

-Deleted

Edit: Asked to remove parts list for security reasons.
    Last edited by NismoS-tune; 03-11-2011, 05:00 AM.
    Silver 1989 GTR. Sold

lol

Comment

The car was tuned September 1st, 2009 at Lightspeed innovations with a VIPEC. Made a weak 302rwhp and 275tq on a dyna
      pack dyno with 14psi on stock internals and stock head with lots of fuel to keep the engine in good condition. The plan was to get the lowest number with the least PSI until the engine is complete. Somehow I thought 400whp would work... No boost controller used until I installed the HKS EVC. Cam at lightspeed was a great guy, full of knowledge as was his wizards. There is a good chance they will be building my engine this winter. So what if he kicked a dog, I have too. Thanks to Anthony and Owen for all their help installing the parts. Especially the turbos and nismo intake plenum with the engine in place.

THE NEXT STEP

The engine is to come out this winter and get rebuilt so I can turn up the boost to 1.5-1.7 bar.
      Last edited by NismoS-tune; 03-11-2011, 04:44 AM.
      Silver 1989 GTR. Sold

lol

Comment

The pictures that convinced me to buy the car.

When I picked up the car.

And drove it 2700km in the snow to get it home.

Silver 1989 GTR. Sold

lol

Comment

Here's some recent pictures.

It's always a good day when my door is open and help is here. Thanks Velders!
          How many GTRs does it take to start a build thread?

Silver 1989 GTR. Sold

lol

Comment

When did you get spartan's car, nice buy!
            Is that what I haven't figured out yet
            The car looks amazing already, glad to see where all these parts are going
            The aero kit and the wheels make it a truly unique looking car.
            And nice work on the garage, I see you got it all finished.
            RightDrive Inc. Parts Manager
            http://www.rightdrive.ca :: http://www.rightdriveparts.com :: http://www.rightdriveusa.com
            1970 Highway 7 West, Vaughan, ON :: 1-877-398-8220

Comment

damn im so jealous about those rims! and they are rare. it's not the regular LMGT4 we found ''everywhere on the net''
              Need detailing done to your car? I'm open to travel to detail your car :

http://forums.gtrcanada.com/group-buys/54899-ontario-cobraa-detailing-group-buy.html

Please follow my works and latest news/promotion at : https://www.facebook.com/Waxxonspa || Waxxon.com ||

Comment

haha that car still looks amazing, and so does the garage! I remember seeing framework laying on the ground, you've come a long way lol.
                Victory is on the horizon..

Comment

Thanks Daryl, I wasn't sure when I'd let the information leak so I let it take it's time. There's more parts to come since I don't have a built engine yet. The garage is almost finished, I just need to hang up more tools and figure out where to put the lawn mower and bikes (the wife seems to think it's a storage garage? lol).

Those wheels are one of my favorite parts on the car. Most people I know and talk to are all about chrome mags on muscle cars so they laugh about "painted" rims, till they see the LMs.

The garage took time to build yes since I work quite a bit. I'm a pretty handy guy around the house so everything I save from building garages, decks, basements/theater rooms, fixing everything and anything, goes into my car fund... and traveling. It's funny that I'm too scared to build my own engine but I challenge almost anything. That's what I get for being an Electrician, hands on. I guess if I hadn't dropped the mass amounts of money into a car, I could build it but I don't want to loose on anything or buy duplicate parts and rebuild due to a mistake I made. I'm no engine tech so I leave it to the pros that already get paid to do it.
                  Silver 1989 GTR. Sold

lol

Comment

Ever thought of changing the body kit back to Nismo kit since your theme is a S-tune project????
                    Biggest selection of Skyline CarbonFiber & FRP Aero in Canada. PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by C-unit View Post
                      Ever thought of changing the body kit back to Nismo kit since your theme is a S-tune project????
                      I have thought of this more than once. The thing is, the sideskirts are supposedly molded/modded to the car so I'm guessing there's some things that were done which won't be covered up when the nismo skirts go on. My ultimate goal was to go as much nismo as possible but there comes a time when you don't have a choice and need to veer off a little. This is not a pure nismo car but I'm trying to take it somewhere close. I'll try to find some nismo body kit parts over the next little while. It'll be easy to sell TBO sideskirts and an HKS tommy Kaira bumper!

I'll change the thread name since I don't drive a nismo car.
                      Silver 1989 GTR. Sold

lol

Comment

Short update:

Everything is running well, the JIC coilovers were installed last week and I've done 39km on it so far. I find them to be very nice but bumps are bad news. The car feels very easy to drive yet still solid when the damping is turned down all the way and really bouncy (feel every bump) when it's at the stiffest. I'll have some pictures posted of the coilovers and the dyno stuff soon. I'm bad for never taking enough pictures.

The lump is planned on coming out pretty soon so I can make some more power, reliably.

I will either use the OEM R32 block, pick up an N1 block or NUR block. Either way, the internals are going to be changed.

I'm undecided about which way to go with pistons and rods at this time.
                        The crank is most likely going to be an R34 with ACL, Nismo (if I can find any!?!) or Tomei bearings.
                        Cams are either Tomei procam or HKS step 2.
                        Rods will either be Carillo, HKS or Tomei with Tomei or ARP bolts.
                        Pistons will either be 86.5 or 87mm JE (suggested by builder), Tomei, Cosworth (gulp** expensive!! ouch), or HKS. I'm looking to get them with oil cooling channels (Tomei may be out of the question since they're quite a bit more for the oil coolers.

I'm really considering the WPC treatment on all the parts but that really depends on where I purchase the parts and if it's accessible/cost worthy.

Please let me know what you guys think which pistons/rods/studs/bolts/bearings are my best choice. Looking for durability/reliability and 600hp crank. Cost is what I sacrifice
                        Silver 1989 GTR. Sold

lol

Comment

nice build man! looks awesome.

do you still have your xd9's? wanna sell em?

Comment

wait, just did a little reading and it doesnt look like you ever had them.. my bad lol

Comment

super nice build.

Comment

Working...
                              X