Project Purple Heart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project Purple Heart

I thought it was about time to start a project thread here on GTRC as I seem to be continuing to work on the car (not all of the work done by myself).

HISTORY

I have been a big import enthusiast for the last 15 years or so. I have been doing amateur racing and track days for the last 10 years as well. A mixture of drag racing, auto-x, and track days really.

I have always wanted a GTR, but am partial to the R33 style so I broke down in September 2009 and bought a MNP V-spec through RightDrive. The car arrived January 7, 2010 and turned out to be in perfect shape. RD was excellent to deal with and I am sure I will buy a few more cars from them in the future.

My plan has always been to keep the car street driveable and liveable, meaning interior, stereo, a/c, but at the same time enjoy it on the track here and there as I please. Some good power never hurts too.

The car showed up with a lot of choice parts on it that weren't known at auction, so was maybe a weekend track warrior in Japan.
    • OS Giken twin plate clutch
    • 97 GTR Xenon Headlights
    • HKS Pods
    • HKS Hipermax RS coilovers
    • Project Mu 2 Piece Rotors
    • BBS LM Championship wheels
    • Greddy guages on A-Pillar

In enjoyed it a lot this past summer, despite some downtime for maintenance. The car went to a few CSCS events and placed 2nd in the Super Street AWD Time attack class championship for 2010. RD took the car to Importfest in September as a marketing tool.

2010 ADDITIONS

To get the car setup a little better for competition I upgraded a few parts last year. Mostly centering on reliability and repeatability. At the same time some parts on the car as arrived were not optimal. The Garage Saurus ECU didn't run perfect, the nankang tires sucked, and the Greddy GreX brake pads were totally used up. Luckily Radek of RSTuning, Pur Auto, and RightDrive helped me get the maintenance done, and the car retuned. Thanks to Daryl formerly of Tunerlab for supplying a lot of these parts.
    • Toyo R1R tires
    • Hawk HPS pads
    • Full Defi Guages
    • FrontPipe
    • Kakimoto Exhaust
    • AEM Wideband
    • Apexi Power FC
    • ARC Titanium Cooling Panel
    • Nismo Shortshifter
    • Cusco Master Cylinder Brace

2011 - THE PLAN

I really enjoyed competing in Time Attack this year (winning helped) so I would like to get the car set up a little more reliably for upcoming potential seasons. I won't be competing this year as I am getting married in the middle of the summer, but still never hurts to be prepared. Some areas to improve are oil cooling, resistance to directional loads and power. Battling high oil temps was a constant issue last year, with only 2-3 laps of all out running possible before a cool down session was required. At the same time the car required a lot of fuel in the tank (about 1/2 full) to avoid starvation around hard corners with the extra grip of R1R's.

I have acquired a few parts so far mostly geared towards power. Such as
    • HKS 550CC Injectors
    • HKS 264degree 10mm Lift Cams
    • Ferrea titanium retainers
    • Ferrea double valve springs
    • Ferrea valve seats
    • Garrett 2860-5 Turbos

2011 - TO DO

I still plan to add a few more things to accomplish the plan and return to time attack dominance. To be sourced over the next few weeks and installed are:
    • Oil relocation and cooler (using setrab diagonal core)
    • Tomei oil pan baffle plate
    • tomei oil galler restrictor
    • tomei head gasket
    • adjustable cam gears
    • fuel surge tank with Bosch 044 pump

Hopefully after that this baby will be ready to rock and roll. More updates to come later in March as work actually begins.

Minor Update

For those who asked for a sound clip of the Kakimoto exhaust see below. I apologize for the poor quality but it was all I had.

Last edited by Phastwon; 03-22-2011, 08:21 PM.
    1995 R33 GTR Vspec - Sold
    2004 Dodge SRT-4 Stage 3R - Sold
    2013 Subaru WRX STI - Where is the power? - Daily

wow man i am loving it. always like the midnight purple
    1991 Nissan Skyline R32 GT-R: 710whp 521 ft/lbs 27.5psi 11.8 @126mph low boost

Comment

Ahh Theres the parts you were talking about. Very nice upgrades. I cant wait to see more of the build, better yet running with you in the AWD class in Time attack Its good to see more and more Skylines getting in to the racing scene. Love the pics, keep it up!

ps I have dreams of having your BBS rims on my car lol I will buy a set one day.
      Last edited by bellis_GTR; 02-26-2011, 09:17 PM.
      Heart rate 160, I'm goin 260, RB26 run me past you in a jiffy

GT-R

O O SKYLINE O O

Comment

Looks like it's in great shape and you are having alot of fun with the car ! It's a shame you will be pulling the motor and head so soon even though you aren't having any issues with it. Why not hold off on the head gasket and baffle plate until you are ready to upgrade the internals ?
        "LAG is the time the guy beside you thought he won"

Comment

Originally posted by evilgtr View Post
          Looks like it's in great shape and you are having alot of fun with the car ! It's a shame you will be pulling the motor and head so soon even though you aren't having any issues with it. Why not hold off on the head gasket and baffle plate until you are ready to upgrade the internals ?
          I am not planning on going crazy for power or RPM, so I don't feel the need at this time, on a low mileage car, to upgrade the internals. I feel like the headgasket might as well be replaced since the head has to come off and be machined anyways. The baffle plate is a must as the oil pressure drops off significantly in hard turns on sticky tires.

Comment

You can actually see the oil pressure drop ? I have never tracked my car, or even really drove it hard come to think of it lol The baffle plate and oil restrictor is a great plan then for what your using the car for. Im not sure if the oil pan restricor was installed in my car so next oil change I will be having a look through the drain with the bore scope - fingers crossed there is one in there.

I just thought if you have the motor out, head off,and oil pan removed then the "while Im hear syndrome" would kick in and you would install new bearings,rods and pistons. I mean all the hard work is done and your already there the extra cost would be minimal if you consider that maybe a year down the road you throw a rod and have to pull the motor, remove the head,drop the pan and find yourself saying "sh@t I wish I would have done this last year before I spent all this money again"

There are some crazy cheap sales on right now you could find Carillo rods,cp pistons,and race bearing and have it machined and installed for mabe $1600 while your there.
            "LAG is the time the guy beside you thought he won"

Comment

Haha, I think Phastwon wants to try and keep some control over the project and not fall into the "while I'm here, I might as well" trap (don't forget he's got a wedding to cover this summer as well lol). Depending on the amount of racing you're gonna do this might be completely adequate preparation. No one plans to go out and throw a rod right? +2 on the baffle. Years ago when Sport Compact Car's Ultimate Street Car Challenge was a big thing and followed by a lot of us import guys, Nick Wong's monster R32 was leading all the categories and about to walk away with the bragging rights when suddenly oil starvation in the track session killed the engine and knocked him out of the competition. Our hearts sank! Tracked GTRs need a baffle (or dry sump).

Great to see this build thread, and as a fellow MNP owner I'm going to follow this one closely, though I don't plan to do much to my own car. My track budget $$ is already sunk into my other car.

"Life's too short to drive boring cars!"

Comment

With the Defi guages I monitor Boost, EGT, Oil Temp, Oil Pressure, and Water Temp. Around some of the high speed, hard rights and lefts at Cayuga I have seen the oil pressure drop to about 1bar. It only became an issue when I put on the R1R's.

The whole point of this project, is that I am not out to build a super-duper race car. Iw ant to be able to have fun on the track, and be reasonably compeitive, without going down the road of big builds with rattling engines, no interiors, cages to climb around, etc. The most fun you can have at the track is going fast, and not breaking down.

JZ is right. I don't want to dump a lot of money into replacing things at this time that don't need replacing. I am not shooting for 600WHP or anything so I want to keep the stock bottom end as long as I can. If it goes down the road in a year or two then I will replace it and build for more HP and RPM.

Comment

Sucha nice and clean car man! MNP is gunna end up being the new Gunmetal in Canada soon! haha
                  1993 Nissan R32 GTR

Comment

This is effing awsome!!! First GTR R33 build on GTRC
                    03 lancer dead
                    68 gmc w/355 cid rice killer
                    05 chevy silverado L33
                    2010 crv Wife's ride
                    1987 Harley Softail custom

Comment

MNP R33gtr with the xenon lights = win!

nice car sir!

Comment

Thanks all.

Comment

Hey Juergen, was wondering if you had any pics/video of the exhaust system. I remember looking at it at CSCS and it looked mint. Not to mention sounded amazing. Who made it? Do you have down pipes and de-cat?
                          Heart rate 160, I'm goin 260, RB26 run me past you in a jiffy

GT-R

O O SKYLINE O O

Comment

Nothing yet Brian. I didn't take a vid last year, but I'll try to get one this spring when the car comes out of storage. I am running a custom frontpipe, decat, with a Kakimoto GT1.0z cat-back.

Comment

I'm watching this build!

Comment

Working...
                              X