The last picture is pure sex!!
    03 lancer dead
    68 gmc w/355 cid rice killer
    05 chevy silverado L33
    2010 crv Wife's ride
    1987 Harley Softail custom

Comment

Bloody gorgeous!
      Darn those city folks and there flying machines!

Comment

Minor update: The car is out of storage and back in town. Some new parts will be arriving tomorrow. Tomei timing belt, oil gallery restrictor, baffle plate, and cam gears. I'll get pics up when I pick them up. Serious work to begin next weekend.
        1995 R33 GTR Vspec - Sold
        2004 Dodge SRT-4 Stage 3R - Sold
        2013 Subaru WRX STI - Where is the power? - Daily

Comment

Minor Update #2 - first post now includes link to sound clip of exhaust. For those that requested it.

Comment

After burner deluxe!!
            03 lancer dead
            68 gmc w/355 cid rice killer
            05 chevy silverado L33
            2010 crv Wife's ride
            1987 Harley Softail custom

Comment

Minor Update #3

Some new parts arrived last week. time to get cracking on making the improvements. Picked up all Tomei parts: oil baffle kit, oil gallery restrictor, timing belt, and adjustable cam gears. There goes $1,000. Thanks Daryl at Rightdrive.

Comment

Small update. No pics unfortunately. The motor and tranny came out this week. My OSG TS2CD clutch is completely spent so needs to be replaced. The car was definately a track slut in Japan. Pulled the head and sent it to the machine shop. Saw the head has a complete 3-angle valve job and has been ported extensively, the intake manifold has been port matched as well. This thing is going to flow like a monster with the new cams. The long block looked great, backing up my feelings not to replace it. Very little carbon buildup on the pistons, and the original cross hatching was in the cylinders, with no vertical scoring. It looks basically brand new, and is the diameter so hasn't been machined.

This week the new turbo's, oil cooler, and piping go on, the head comes back mid week. the fuel system build and time for tuning.

Comment

Wow nice find although if someone went to the trouble of doing that to the heads i'd expect to see other things changed .

On a side note , I would consider changing the oil pump while the block is out , seems like an easy job and definately great insurance since that seems to cause the demise of most of the rb engines that blow up.

Comment

Thanks Paul. I was surprised to see that despite the headwork it was stock cams, springs, retainers everything. Very strange. I have considered the oil pump but have decided for economic reasons to take my chances. If the bottom end goes that is a good excuse to replace it. However I am making hte job on the pump as easy as possible:

- running huge oil cooler
                    - tomei oil restrictor to head
                    - tomei baffle plate
                    - stock RPM limit.

Comment

Hmm good plan , just check the screws on the back of the pump body while the oil pan is off because i have noticed during my own research that these seem to back out over time on a stock pump and can cause loss of oil pressure. It wont cost anything and it's piece of mind

Comment

Will do.

Comment

Quick update. Still waiting on the head, but decided to perhaps start with the motor. Well didn't get too far because when I grabbed the crank it moved back and forth in the block. I have 3.6mm of crank walk in my RB26. I'll pull apart the bottom end one night soon and see if just the thrust bearings are shot, or whether the block and crank are scored also. Poor luck.

Comment

Wow, sorry to hear of the discovery. How was she running before all this? I find it strange too that the engines had the 3 way done and everything else looks oem.

Posted from my iPhone

"Life's too short to drive boring cars!"

Comment

Wel assuming the bores and pistons etc are ok it's a good excuse for redoing the bottom end , grind the crank , new shells, a set of arp bolts for the bottom end and you wont have to worry about that for a while.

I was thinking , i bet the original owner had a forged block , cams and other stuff and decided to keep that stuff if he went to an r34 . He probably put the original block back in the car and cams etc but didnt keep the head assembly because the r34 from what i remember cas a different CAS setup , and he probably did this before he sold the car for export.

BTW how long does it take to skim a head ? we used to send them out and get them back within a few days . Who has it ?

Originally posted by Phastwon View Post
                              Quick update. Still waiting on the head, but decided to perhaps start with the motor. Well didn't get too far because when I grabbed the crank it moved back and forth in the block. I have 3.6mm of crank walk in my RB26. I'll pull apart the bottom end one night soon and see if just the thrust bearings are shot, or whether the block and crank are scored also. Poor luck.
                              Last edited by cortexx; 06-24-2011, 09:59 AM.

Comment

The head is with Mississauga Racing Engines. They are taking forever with it. Apparently they are having trouble getting the right size shims for the cams. Apparently the HKS Step 2 cams are a reground stock cam, not machined from a new billet. Also it turned out 3 valves were slightly bent and needed replacing.

I think there must have been more done to the car, but it was reversed before selling. Either that or he tracked the **** out of it for quite a while. I am not sure what would have caused the crank walk other than perhaps the twin plate clutch was in for a very long time and wore out the bearings with force.

Comment

Working...
                                X