No announcement yet.

Project Dry Sump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't been able to do anything to mine to stop the oil mist from being carried out with the vent stream. I suspect it's the rectangular design of the canton racing tank, coupled with my high blow-by. I'm even running two catch tanks in series, and it still coats the trunk exterior with oil due to the cowling or whatever.
    I'm pretty well ready to try a new tank... Perhaps a perterson, or a stefs. Fed up with losing oil and being able to smell it in the cabin (current tank lid doesn't seal so well).
    Other than that, all is still well lol.

Comment

If the blow by is caused by the cylinder ring leakage, then there is not much you can do. So, do a compression or leakdown test first to see if the rings are on their way out first. If compression is good, A peterson tank should resolve your problem. Peterson tanks have a sophistic baffle design inside the tank to stop oil from escaping.

BTW, do you have pictures of your set up?
      Last edited by xcye; 04-26-2013, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Hey Charlie, any recent pictures of your car man, how much did it cost to respray the whole car? Who did it? And what rims did you go with?? Post some pics man!)
        TTBB is a true ACN member

Comment

I'll have to take some pictures of my trunk configuration. It's a bit ghetto looking right now with rubber hosing for now until I can fix the oil loss issue, at which point I'll make it a bit prettier with proper aeroquip lines. I was leaning toward the Peterson or stef's tanks. My issue is due to my motor build. Motor was built 20Mm ago (yes I did just use megameters for a unit) with forged pistons, and was built loose. Loose sacrifices a bit of power, but gives more protection for a motor that gets hot. My wall clearance is .0045... Double the maximum specified in the service manual. Little piston slap, not bad. Engine makes good power, only downfall is the oil issue.
          I'll send you some pics in a few days when I finish up my work cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by christdeyoung View Post
            I'll have to take some pictures of my trunk configuration. It's a bit ghetto looking right now with rubber hosing for now until I can fix the oil loss issue, at which point I'll make it a bit prettier with proper aeroquip lines. I was leaning toward the Peterson or stef's tanks. My issue is due to my motor build. Motor was built 20Mm ago (yes I did just use megameters for a unit) with forged pistons, and was built loose. Loose sacrifices a bit of power, but gives more protection for a motor that gets hot. My wall clearance is .0045... Double the maximum specified in the service manual. Little piston slap, not bad. Engine makes good power, only downfall is the oil issue.
            Nice info here! Have you had any problems after the build where you had to open up the block again and may be take the pistons out??
            I would LOVE to see the pistons pics after ???kms you put on them!!!
            Also, what was your big end clearance and rpm!?

Comment

Originally posted by christdeyoung View Post
              Nice info here! Have you had any problems after the build where you had to open up the block again and may be take the pistons out??
              I would LOVE to see the pistons pics after ???kms you put on them!!!
              Also, what was your big end clearance and red line!?
              Last edited by tryingtobebest; 04-28-2013, 02:12 AM.

Comment

Haven't had to remove the pistons yet since the build. Don't exactly remember my rod/main clearances. Somewhere in the order of .0025 perhaps. 8500 RPM, OEM crank.
                My turbo GSR ran with slightly less clearance than the RB26, still had a bit of piston slap when cold, and showed no signs of scuffing around the skirt after 65Mm of abuse.
                My tuner runs a H22 that has clearances so loose that the slap sounds like every rod bearing is knackered. 640whp on Q16, 450 daily driven on pump for the last 8 years on the same pistons. So I don't expect any problems when it comes time to pull the motor apart.
                Last edited by christdeyoung; 04-28-2013, 03:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tryingtobebest View Post
                  Hey Charlie, any recent pictures of your car man, how much did it cost to respray the whole car? Who did it? And what rims did you go with?? Post some pics man!)
                  I only re-sprayed 2/3 rear side of the car (someone rearended me last September, so I have to fix that), as the cost of doing the whole is a little too much. I will take some pictures after the shop sorted out the last few issues. I did not get a set of rims. Instead I am going to get either Torqline or DSS carbon shaft.

I have no experience with stef's tanks, but I hope Peterson Tank can fix your issue.

Comment

Working...
                  X