No announcement yet.

LS2 TRUCK / YUKON Coils - Discussion, Experience, Ideas, Pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That write-up has a great chart to show you why I think that hotwiring the coils is the way to go. You can dynamically increase your effective dwell even though the dwell time is fixed by the ECU. What do I mean?

If you use your factory coil (+) feed to charge the coils then you are short changing yourself on the amount of energy supplied to the coil in the time allotted. The factory feed has more resistance as well as less voltage, both combined limits the amount of energy put into the coil...especially at higher RPMs. By "hotwiring" the coils (feeding the + side from a relay directly from the battery, switched by the factory feed) the current avail. should be in the range of 1-2 AMPs and 2-3 volts more than the factory feed. This can increase the "effective" dwell from 3.5ms to 5ms even though the actual time allotted hasn't changed. Simply put, you can get as much work done in 3.5ms that would equal the work done in 5ms if you left the factory feeds in place and changed the dwell times in your ECU.

So if you can't mess with the dwell times, don't sweat it. Hotwire the coils and you will get a similar result. Not only will these coils give you more pop, as is, factory harness fed, they will function even better without messing with the ECU by simply feeding them battery voltage.

Jon.
    Why don't you come over to MySpace and Twitter my Yahoo untill I Google all over your Facebook.

1990 GTR Drag Special T88H34D 11.24 @ 127.55mph at only 1.2bar...... officially. SOLD

Comment

Thanks jon! Im about to do the swap on my rb20! I will feed the coil with a wire directly from the battery with a relay !

Envoyé de mon SGH-I747M en utilisant Tapatalk

Comment

LS2 TRUCK / YUKON Coils - Discussion, Experience, Ideas, Pictures

We'll figured I'd post a couple pics of my coil swap, picked up a set of these from tryingtobebest a few weeks ago, I followed nimblestix DIY and it was super easy, I was kinda worried about the wiring but once you start it's really not bad at all

First I layed the coils out on a piece of wood, just to see how I wanted them, and make the harness on the bench

Next I got a piece of aluminum, drilled some holes

mounted with some smAll screwes and nuts

I mounted it on top of the fuel rail, made some little brackets

Cut some little notches for the wires so I could still run the stock cover

I ran the +12 v power for the coils straight from the battery through a relay, I also didn't like the little bolts and nuts I had there so I cut some little pieces of pipe to cover each one and painted black, and took each coil out of its bracket and painted the brackets .

That's it
        Last edited by steveo1502; 02-11-2014, 12:17 AM.

Comment

I finally got around to wiring my LS coils directly through a relay. Ran through a 30 Amp fuse and it's hard to tell for sure, but the old seat of the pants says it actually seems to idle and rev even smoother than before if that's possible. Tough to say for sure while it's on jack stands ha
          Last edited by AL91GTR; 03-01-2014, 09:20 PM.
          Pistol packin Monkey drinkin no money bum

Comment

Can someone tell me the center distance from one spark to another? I want to make a bracket for the coil but i dont have my car for the winter :*

Envoyé de mon SGH-I747M en utilisant Tapatalk

Comment

not a great pic but some nice coils anyway. Stock location.

No build thread.
              1991 nissan
              El terror

"Built not bought" sooner or later = "broken not running"

Comment

They aren't spitfire... Okada plasma

Comment

At least I think they are, remember him posting about them a while ago

Comment

Old thread revival....

How do you run the coils directly from the battery with a relay? I want to learn what kind of a relay and how to connect it. Any resource for that info? Does this require me to have to run a wire to the ignition switch in the car? How will the relay know when to turn on? I can connect things but I guess I dont know how and what to connect.

Any specific size/spec relay and fuse required to do this?
                    (O||O___SKYLINE___O||O)

Cheap, Reliable, Fast.....PICK TWO
                    SERENITY NOW!!!!!!
                    HEAVY METAL IS THE LAW........EVERYTHING ELSE IS JUST CRIME

Comment

I used 30 amp 5 wire relay from princess auto, yes ignition wire turns on the relay

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Pin 86 - Existing power source to coils
                        Pin 85 - Ground
                        Pin 87 - Fused 12v connection to battery
                        Pin 30 - Power output to coils.

should do it
                        1992 Dark Blue Pearl Skyline GTR - 457 rwhp, 404 tq @ 19 psi , chevron 94.
                        1991 Gunmetal GTS4 - SOLD

Originally posted by dah_hunter
                        i wait till the lights yellow.. or i lean far and go.. thats what BOOOOST if for..

Comment

Shane, how did you connect the ignition to the relay? Is there a wire I can tap into, within the engine bay of an R33 GTR?
                          (O||O___SKYLINE___O||O)

SERENITY NOW!!!!!!

Comment

You take the factory power to the coils (at the 2 pin connector) and use that as the trigger for the relay. Then run power from the relay to the coils. Just like Shane said above and I did mine this way also a few years ago ... works great.
                            Pistol packin Monkey drinkin no money bum

Comment

So the 2 pin connector gives 12V and a trigger as well?

Or do I still need to run the 12V directly from the battery to the relay?

I wish there was a diagram to follow.

Does crappy tire sell any relays I can use? Any specifics to look for?
                              (O||O___SKYLINE___O||O)

SERENITY NOW!!!!!!

Comment

the 2 pin connector has a 12v and a ground I believe.

your trying to achieve a stronger 12v direct from the battery.

you use the 12v in the 2 pin connector to trip the relay to pull power from the battery, instead of using the 25 year old wire running through your engine harness to power the coils.

so pin 86 is the existing 12v power in the 2 pin connector.
                                1992 Dark Blue Pearl Skyline GTR - 457 rwhp, 404 tq @ 19 psi , chevron 94.
                                1991 Gunmetal GTS4 - SOLD

Originally posted by dah_hunter
                                i wait till the lights yellow.. or i lean far and go.. thats what BOOOOST if for..

Comment

Working...
                                X