Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LS2 TRUCK / YUKON Coils - Discussion, Experience, Ideas, Pictures

LS2 TRUCK / YUKON Coils - Discussion, Experience, Ideas, Pictures

Hello everyone, I did an extensive and time consuming research and find out that THE coil to use is GM LS2 TRUCK coil, also known by the name YUKON coil.

They are just an amazing pieces and "SMART" too, so we have a chance to eliminating the factory ignitor as well. Coils, visually very recognizable from the rest of the coil crowd because they have small heat sink on top of them and this means that they can take abuse of an increased DWELL settings.

Here is the cool video where guy testing some GM coils. I read somewhere that this guy actually doing this testing originally for one of the simplest stand alone's ever - Megasquirt:

Couple of VERY informative threads:

Perfect example of mounting and running this coils with lots of pics and information -
    LS2 Ignitioin Coil Swap DIY pics/vid/reference

Fairly old coils update thread from NICO using some kinda LS1 coils -
    My LS2/LS7 Coil Swap

MegaSquirt Coil Selection (Some diagrams, explanations and general specs) -
    MegaSquirt

Another good post to read and make some notes -
    LS2 Trick Coil Pack Swap for S2 RB25DET

Haltech official forum, where I'm asking about increasing dwell settings -
    R32 GTR Platinum Pro LS2 Truck Coils questions

The only thing im going to do is to contact this guy from youtube and offer him to do some testing on the other coils. I have in mind older single coils from something like Nissan Maxima, Dodge waste spark coilpack's and may be some others. It would be very interesting to see how "TRUCK" coil would defend itself to some others coils in terms of output.
    Last edited by tryingtobebest; 05-14-2016, 08:39 PM.
    TTBB is a true ACN member

Very interesting, I'm subscribing in case there's some developments.
    1992 BNR32 SKYLINE GTR

Comment

Here is my neighbour Charlie, he did a very cool upgrade, where he install this Yukon coils in the stock location point!!!! Looks very good and works amaizing!!!

POST #43

Besides, if you type RB LS2 Coil in google image search you will find alot of different set ups whre people using this Coils!

Huh that was close call for me, because i almost bought Splitfire's.....

... I cant belive i didn't find out about this coils earlier!

Here is some cool examples:

Last edited by tryingtobebest; 05-04-2012, 05:41 PM.

Comment

I've been looking to do this for a long time, well before I even knew someone had done it before. I also plan on running my FD on LS2 coils as well. They are cheap, plentiful and probably the best stock coils available. Not exactly sure why GM made such a heavy duty coil for a simple truck engine, but I'm glad they did.

We just need someone on here or another board to make a simple plug and play harness for those of us that are wiring illiterate

R32.4 GTR

Comment

Oh, and for more info on how it's done here is a pretty informative thread

R32.4 GTR

Comment

Anton, those are good findings. I'd have them mounted this way if my dry sump plumbing was not in the way.

Here is some cool examples:

Last edited by xcye; 05-04-2012, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Here is another coil on plug set up from the guy on this forum - RSTuning. Looks very good and works amazing.
              He is talking briefly about his set up in Post #8 in this thread

I pm'ed him with request of the picture of how he did brackets and mount them but he never replied back to me(

Comment

I'm more curious about how they made a positive conection between the coil and the plug. I pull my plugs a lot so it would have to be something better than a cobbly one time deal. I bet they used the stock coil boots somehow.

Jon.
                Why don't you come over to MySpace and Twitter my Yahoo untill I Google all over your Facebook.

1990 GTR Drag Special T88H34D 11.24 @ 127.55mph at only 1.2bar...... officially. SOLD

Comment

Yes, I did use the stock boots in my coil on plug setup.

Originally posted by Dragon Humper View Post
                  I'm more curious about how they made a positive conection between the coil and the plug. I pull my plugs a lot so it would have to be something better than a cobbly one time deal. I bet they used the stock coil boots somehow.

Jon.

Comment

What about removing the stock ignitor error code on stock ECU that was mentioned in Nico link????

I don't think you can earth wiring to ECU turn error code off????

Also can't fit stock coilpack cover to protect coils from water entering engine bay, dust, etc due to coilpack plug angle if in coil over plug configuration.

I guess needs more development to make it work as a bolt on option.
                    RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

Originally posted by Skym View Post

Also can't fit stock coilpack cover to protect coils from water entering engine bay, dust, etc due to coilpack plug angle if in coil over plug configuration.

Meh...those things are just heat retainers anyway. It's lack of bolt-on-ness is totally trumped by the cheapness and spark energy that is delivered, I might even do an MSD DIS4 on this to really pack a punch and give me a soft touch rev limiter and launch control.

Jon.
                      Why don't you come over to MySpace and Twitter my Yahoo untill I Google all over your Facebook.

1990 GTR Drag Special T88H34D 11.24 @ 127.55mph at only 1.2bar...... officially. SOLD

Comment

I use an AEM ECU, so there is no error code problem.
                        I also ditched the coil cover for cooling as Dragon mentioned.

Originally posted by Skym View Post
                        What about removing the stock ignitor error code on stock ECU that was mentioned in Nico link????

I don't think you can earth wiring to ECU turn error code off????

Comment

Originally posted by xcye View Post
                          I use an AEM ECU, so there is no error code problem.
                          I also ditched the coil cover for cooling as Dragon mentioned.
                          H4x6 used nistune with his rb20 and he has the error code from deleting the ignitor.
                          No big deal though. Didn't affect the performance at all.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Yup. Nistune throws a code but no issues at all. Runs. Starts. No issues. Just ignore the code and tune per norm

Sent from my A510 using Tapatalk 2
                            Currently rollin' in a 1997 Nissan 240sx こうき

The artist formally known as Cory Scheuer

Comment

Coil pack covers are for show cars and ricers
                              oh hai!

Comment

Working...
                              X