No announcement yet.

LS2 TRUCK / YUKON Coils - Discussion, Experience, Ideas, Pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's more for a stock look when open hood, yet it packs a punch.
    RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

Update

I happen to receive some used no name coils, most likely some aftermarket or NEW, ebay price coils.
      Four things i would like to mention:

They don't have any numbers on the connector tip part or anywhere else on the coils as well as the bracket

They've got imperfection in the actual plastic surrounding/body of the coil itself, done when manufacturing

Every fourth OEM coil coming from GM truck have a GM sticker, this bunch didn't have any.

And, most importantly this no name coil have less epoxy used when coil wiring is filled inn, this i think might cause premature failure of the coil due to spark going through it, less insulation, less heat soaking (this is only my assumption)

So people, here you go, watch out for this cheap coils, I totally agree with one of the member statement:

Originally posted by Dragon Humper View Post
      I would buy a used Delco coil over a no-name new one.
      This coils just doesn't looks solid.
      Last edited by tryingtobebest; 02-04-2013, 11:41 PM.
      TTBB is a true ACN member

Comment

I've done the Ls2 coils on an RB20 on stock ecu and have had no error codes or negative performance effect. Runs flawlessly on stock dwell ect. I've also offered to produce a 'plug-n-play' harness for those who don't want to wire, although there is no way to get around having to cut and crimp in your firing signal wires..... and the cost for connectors is high at around $100.

Comment

Anyone has done back to back dyno for the fun of it? I understand this option is great when you have used coils but I actually have 1season new oem coilpack and wondering if it would be worth it to swap.
          Need detailing done to your car? I'm open to travel to detail your car :

http://forums.gtrcanada.com/group-buys/54899-ontario-cobraa-detailing-group-buy.html

Please follow my works and latest news/promotion at : https://www.facebook.com/Waxxonspa || Waxxon.com ||

Comment

Oh yea, twice the energy at the plug gap. You could run a stock gap with these coils, if not bigger. What does that mean? The spark kernal will be twice as big at the flame front giving you a more complete burn before that exhaust valve opens. You should be able to have the same HP at 2-3 deg. less ignition timing with a bigger sustainable gap. With battery voltage being supplied to the coils via a relay you could get even more out of them. Can't see any reason why you couldn't be at a 1.4mm gap at around 600hp with these coils.......and I aim to find out.

Jon.
            Why don't you come over to MySpace and Twitter my Yahoo untill I Google all over your Facebook.

1990 GTR Drag Special T88H34D 11.24 @ 127.55mph at only 1.2bar...... officially. SOLD

Comment

An alternative and new is the AEM high output coilpacks for forced induction engines -

This AEM High Output Smart Coil delivers CDI-like spark energy and voltage, and long spark duration for vehicles running high compression. Visit AEM today!
              RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

That's not bad, Splitfire pricing and MUCH more spark. I would definately use a relay to feed them though. One coil at full duty is 9 amps, all 6 giving all they've got would be too much for the factory 12v power supply. 40000V at 100mJ would knock you on your a$$ if you ever got bit by it.....I know...lol.

Jon.
                Why don't you come over to MySpace and Twitter my Yahoo untill I Google all over your Facebook.

1990 GTR Drag Special T88H34D 11.24 @ 127.55mph at only 1.2bar...... officially. SOLD

Comment

[QUOTE=Dragon Humper;549262]That's not bad, Splitfire pricing and MUCH more spark. I would definately use a relay to feed them though. One coil at full duty is 9 amps, all 6 giving all they've got would be too much for the factory 12v power supply. 40000V at 100mJ would knock you on your a$$ if you ever got bit by it.....I know...lol.

Hhahaha this is me and my pap when I was about 10....

"Hold this screw driver handle with a plug wire on the other end and tell me if there's spark against this metal"
                  "Okay dad!"

Comment

Originally posted by nimblestix View Post

Hhahaha this is me and my pap when I was about 10....

"Hold this screw driver handle with a plug wire on the other end and tell me if there's spark against this metal"
                    "Okay dad!"
                    Lol!)))
                    Last edited by tryingtobebest; 02-08-2013, 12:23 PM.

Comment

never check if your wires are arching if you are standing in a puddle and have to piss

Comment

I hope you guys don't mind i'm reviving a dead thread, however i thought this would be preferable to starting a brand new thread.

I would like to do this mod however i have a few small questions. I'm not running a stand alone ecu(currently stock might be getting a mines tuned chipped ecu). Would i still be able to make use of this? I wouldn't be able to adjust the dwell, which i guess would mean i'm not using the full potential of the coils, but would there still be worth in upgrading? I'm not having any issues with my current coils it just seems like something easy i can do myself for relatively cheap.

My next question is quite a blatant one: whats dwell?
                        Just from the word I'm guessing it means the length of the spark which would imply more ignition and more burn in the combustion chamber(provided i understand combustion engines :P) and possibly cleaner exhaust but for all i know that is 100% wrong. I'm not an extremely mechanical person and i probably haven't chosen the greatest car to learn on.

Aside from those two, my last question is about mounting. Obviously they won't just drop on the plugs and as the pictures in here show everyone uses spark plug wires. I can make brackets like the ones in this thread fairly easy(i think, possibly not as pretty), but i have no idea what spark boot he used. If anyone knows what boot he used to actually go from the coil to the plug that'd be awesome. ? <- added a question mark so its actually a question not a paragraph.

e/ when i said this thread i ment to link this:
                        Last edited by rvander1992; 01-08-2014, 08:58 PM.

Comment

^ You obviously was not around too much! BUT its a great thing that your not starting a new thread and bumping an old one!

First paragraph - It is NOT recommended to get Mines (or any Japanese tuned) ECU's because they are tuned for a different octane level, and they are limited in adjustments after they been tuned! There is many more entry level stan alones like PFC or Nistune etc

Second paragraph - Google "Ignition Dwell".... goggled it myself cant find $hit for the first 15 min, but then I got it - http://www.dtec.net.au/Ignition%20Co...alibration.htm , read it hope this make some sense!

Third Paragraph - You can mount them whatever way you feel like, top mount you can use stock boots and modified shortened Toyota COP springs, or mount the coils on the fuel rail with stock LS specific spark plug wires. Few of my buyers used Intrepid boots and I think Intrepid springs! Ill ask them to post some pics up!

Comment

I did the LS coil swap on my car last year to replace failing ignitor and old coils. I'm using a Mine's ECU and it runs so smooth and pulls all the way. The usual bolt-ons and 1.0 bar of boost on stock turbos.

If you want to take a look sometime, PM. Actually, I have an extra mounting valley plate kicking around too if you are interested.

Here is my set up:

Last edited by AL91GTR; 01-09-2014, 04:57 PM.
                            Pistol packin Monkey drinkin no money bum

Comment

I did it when I had my stock rb25det ecu(running a nistune right now) and it runs just fine. you might have to adjust the spark plug gap. but I think I had to do that because iam running 20+psi. but yes you can do this without a standalone and adjusting the dwell!!

Comment

Originally posted by AL91GTR View Post
                                I did the LS coil swap on my car last year to replace failing ignitor and old coils. I'm using a Mine's ECU and it runs so smooth and pulls all the way. The usual bolt-ons and 1.0 bar of boost on stock turbos.

If you want to take a look sometime, i'm in St.Catharines. Actually, I have an extra mounting valley plate kicking around too if you are interested.

Hey is this your set up in the link on flickr? It looks very neat!!! I cant see flickr for some reason!
                                Ill pm you with little request!
                                Last edited by tryingtobebest; 01-09-2014, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X