Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TTBB S2000 (S2K) into R32 Headlights Projectors Retrofit (Install)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TTBB S2000 (S2K) into R32 Headlights Projectors Retrofit (Install)

TTBB S2000 (S2K) into R32 Headlights Projectors Retrofit (Install)

Hello everyone I have a few projects done over the past years that I would like to share with the GTR community.

I did an installation of one of the best performing projectors out there an S2000 one. I installed it in an R32 headlight housing. Installation was fairly easy with my way, which is picture explained below. Output of S2k projectors is still one of the best and no halogen (OEM) projectors along with increased wattage of ballast or modern LED lights can compare to a proper HID projector in terms of performance. Also, i did a light switch mod where low beams doesn't cut out when you need/switch/flick high beam.

THIS IS NOT A GUIDE, this thread is created to give you a rough reference of how to upgrade headlights, it doesn't have any detailed description of how to become good at retrofitting or guide you with every step starting with preheating oven. You should already have fabricating skill along with the idea and experience of retrofitting. Most of the information about retrofitting, projectors, different types of ballasts and supercharging them I got from an amazing forum i found way back in 2006 called - HIDPlanet. You can find lots of step by steps guides there with ALOT of good information. Also, another extremely handy web site to know and be familiar with where you can get a set of quality bulbs or projectors for a very attractive price is - The Retrofit Source.

So, here we go, here is the process of opening the headlight:

Here is some measurements of the housing inside dimensions if anyone need them. It is pretty handy if you know the projector dimensions and would like to make sure it will actually fit!

Comparison of S2K projector and R32 OEM halogen one. I painted the headlight shroud in black color.

Last edited by tryingtobebest; 10-22-2014, 09:20 PM.
    TTBB is a true ACN member

Next is the actual attachment of the S2K projector to the R32 projector bracket. You have to cut the old pieces of the projector and use that original connection bracket to hold projector in order for you to adjust it later.

Here is how it looks like inside of the housing.

Comment

You have to trim the shroud a bit from top in order that it would clear the top of the S2K projector. Putting the headlight back together.

The most important and most time consuming part of the project is to ALLIGN the projectors, that they would provide precisely straight and parallel to each other cut off line. The first one is pretty easy and goes straight forward, its the second one during your retrofit which you are doing is the hard and "bit$chy" one, where you have to make sure its where it has to be and the lines are all perfect TO you. Excuse me for cell pictures here.

Headlight is going back together using URETHANE silicone, the one glass shops uses to install your windshield. If you walk in the back of the glass shop you can bargain yourself one open one for around $10 bux. I know that this is maybe not the best stuff to use but i got use to it very much especially if you are not planning to open the headlights back for some adjustments or further modifications.

Comment

Now - the headlight switch mod.
        It took me a little time to figure out how to work it that way that it wouldn't cut off Low beam when you flick the high beam. You don't really have to have HIDs to do this mod, the light output when both Low and Hi beam are ON is pretty damn good. I would like to mention that in my project I have supercharged HID ballasts on an original wiring harness (not upgraded HID harness with a relay) with no problem and my modified switch is holding all this current pretty good. Please follow me here as it will be pretty hard to explain. The hardest part of this all is I made only one picture during this mod. I would like to ask anyone who is reading this and planning/following to do it: - Can you possibly make some good MACRO pictures of the switch plate before and after mod, for the people to have clear idea of how to follow.

Here is explanation:

There is a sliding bar where one of the 3 levers/pimples/hiples going "UP" or "Down" making a connection. Picture explains which one to push inn permanently and which one to cut flat that it wouldn't engage anymore. But the most important and carefulness involvement part is to shave flat with the rest of the surface that sliding bar middle part that it would only make a connection after half of the bumped area. Today im not sure how come it does that, but this very thing was on my GTR for more than a year with not a single problem.

In the end I would like to say couple of things.
        During all this time that ive been around my GTR and this forum I found only few threads (ALL OVER THE INTERNET) about upgrading an R32 headlights, here they are:

Pretty big GTR.co.uk forum - Install Audi A6 Bi-Xenon Projectors in R32 headlights and farily recently,

HIDPlanet - Nissan R32 GTR fx-r mod ( Which I don't think original poster ever finished )

and all of this guys ^ doing it involving pretty time consuming, precise, bracket cutting where you have to spend tremendous amount of time doing that and most likely to give up. May be and most likely there is plenty of other threads where people upgrading R32 headlights which i haven't find.

If I ever to do it again i would most likely go with the FX-R 1.1/3.0 projectors they are smaller then this S2K's, have more point to connect them, and are BI-Xenon, where you can easily connect them to the HI beam and have INSANE HI beam output.

Please use only factory, safest rated 4100/4300k temperature kelvin output avoiding "gay" look, avoid blinding people using proper projectors/alignment/hardware and be safe on the streets during dark time of the days.

UPDATE #1 Morimoto Mini D2S 3.0

Just an update on this thread, my left projector snapped somehow and now shining extremely down, right in front of the car, I didn’t took it apart yet, but I figure i have to post this before its too late!!!
        SO, I got myself a set of new Morimoto Mini D2S 3.0, and this is why I say before it’s TOO LATE, as you will see below they are the EASIEST projector to retrofit to an oem R32 bracket, but I found out that they are getting obsolete, since Mini D2S 4.0 is a better projector and actively replacing 3.0!!!(((

That’s what you start with, well almost, watch out and don’t shave your projector holder like I didn’t! It is actually doesn’t really matter, nobody ever going to see this area!)

Only Yellow area is interfere with holder bracket, so you have to shave one or the other, I choose bracket because its much easier and projector don’t get all the shavings, also, for the projector holding bracket, you will have to expand it for oval of the projecto bowl to fit in, where it marked red

And then projector sits on the bracket and by the lengh of those steps you kinda leveling horizontal cutoff

The throw-out of the lens is almost identical to an oem bracket

#1 Is simply going through (lower 2 bolts), and to make it super safe, ill drill out one of the rivets and go straight through it with a bolt, so projector will still be hold together, just by the bolt and a nut instead rivet

Now, D2S 4.0 is a better projector no doubt, but it is MUUUCH harder to retrofit, even if you clear it for area #1, area #2 is simply saying going to be a pain, maybe you can clear it if you shave both, projector and bracket, but then it is going to be harder to catch that horizontal level

So, yah, this is it for an update, I didn’t complete this project yet, but felt like I have to share it with community because 3.0’s are getting obsolete and if you’re planning to retrofit a normal projector 3.0 would be the easiest one, and you should grab it!

Also, (im not getting anything for this) for us – Canadians, we now have PROPER Canadian HID store – WinnipegHID with very, very competitive prices, check them out if you don’t want to deal with converting to us and shipping across the border!
        Last edited by tryingtobebest; 02-14-2017, 01:23 PM.

Comment

This post I would like to keep for further updates.

Comment

I love seeing reads like this. Never knew there was a devoted forum to headlight enthusiasts. Awesome work.

"Life's too short to drive boring cars!"

Comment

well done,i did FX-R retrofit in my GTR,the difference is amazing
              Skyline GTR R33

Comment

bump for thread name change

"Life's too short to drive boring cars!"

Comment

Post #4 has some updated information about retrofitting projectors into an R32 headlight!)

Comment

Working...
                  X