Rebuilt motor, first startup I've got a strang noise help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebuilt motor, first startup I've got a strang noise help please

Just did the first startup and I've got a very strange noise please have a listen.

Sounds like auxilary belt is too tight or cambelt is too tight. Use a mechanics stethoscope and listen for the noise around the cambelt area.

Also check that CAS is tightened down evenly.
    RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

I removed all the belts and will be getting a known good cas tomorrow. What else do you think it could be?

Comment

water pump? powersteering pump? alternator?

take off the belts one by one to try and isolate the noise

Comment

I've removed all the belts and its still doing it, I used a stethoscope and it sounds like its coming from the timing cover.

Comment

It does sound like a belt , I would stop running it like that and pull it apart , I didn't have the gasket for the Cas once, it rubbed on the gear but was more of a grinding noise , maybe the belts too tight? Or on crank there's a big washer behind the belt that keeps it in place

Comment

Then most likely the cambelt is too tight. Sometimes the bearing fails on front of powersteering pump and sounds like it's coming from the cambelt cover.

Also did you replace the cambelt tensioner stud? The tensioner stud is known to fail due to age.
              RESPONSE MONSTER

Comment

I actually don't have a CAS gasket the one I had disintegrated, but I do have the spacers from it installed still.

Also I did not replace the tensioner stud or tensioner, I wonder if that could be it, it's also a greddy timing belt.

Comment

Are you positive you torqued all the cam caps to spec when reassembling the head? on the bright side it doesn't sound catastrophic, but certainly something you want to deal with asap. My guess is something was bolted down to tightly on head reassembly, though it has that distinct kinda distressed rubber sound to it.

Comment

Timing belt...and it sounds like its getting chewed up, dont run it anymore untill you get the timing covers off to see what is askew.

Jon.
                    Why don't you come over to MySpace and Twitter my Yahoo untill I Google all over your Facebook.

1990 GTR Drag Special T88H34D 11.24 @ 127.55mph at only 1.2bar...... officially. SOLD

Comment

Then it might be the tensioner bearing or idler bearing. Higher pressure on old bearings by a stronger cambelt (not a factory cambelt) could cause that type of bearing sound.

You can get a similar sound from CAS bearings x2 if tighten the CAS down incorrectly / unevenly. Putting a mechanics stethoscope on CAS (to see if it is the bearings inside CAS) and just behind CAS can eliminate sound from CAS as a cause.
                      RESPONSE MONSTER

Comment

Awesome I'll be taking a look into this tonight thanks for the responses so far, I've got something to aim at now

Comment

Also recommend new hardware when messing with the cam belt/idlers. New bolts and studs etc, sometimes they bend. They are prone to shearing off.

Comment

Should replace tensioner stud, idler stud, front crank seal x1, front cam seal x2, waterpump (and washers for fan), cambelt, idler bearing, tensioner bearing, auxiliary belts.
                            RESPONSE MONSTER

Comment

Could be CAM caps were installed out of order.

Comment

Working...
                              X