No announcement yet.

BOV install for GTR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep in mind that R32 GTR's are still running a ceramic wheel stock.... Supras are a generation abouve our cars... they are still comparible but a 95 supra has an addional 5 years of Japanese technology on our R32's... So you will need to compare apples to apples not apples to mangos!

your turbo will spool to about 120,000RPM and when you are in full boost and then let off the gas or put the clutch in, you are going to have the WHOLE FMIC compressed air pressure stoppoing the wheel in a split second.

there was a post about a turbo that came from Japan and the wheel was compleatly gone.... well there is a reason, there was not enough air being released for so long and the wheel just fianally snapped. that is why you should get an upgraded BOV... they just work better then stock!!

Comment

Originally posted by James Mramor
      Keep in mind that R32 GTR's are still running a ceramic wheel stock.... Supras are a generation abouve our cars... they are still comparible but a 95 supra has an addional 5 years of Japanese technology on our R32's... So you will need to compare apples to apples not apples to mangos!

your turbo will spool to about 120,000RPM and when you are in full boost and then let off the gas or put the clutch in, you are going to have the WHOLE FMIC compressed air pressure stoppoing the wheel in a split second.

there was a post about a turbo that came from Japan and the wheel was compleatly gone.... well there is a reason, there was not enough air being released for so long and the wheel just fianally snapped. that is why you should get an upgraded BOV... they just work better then stock!!
      My turbo's are all metal. Nismo ftw.

Comment

Nice howto GTR--J.

Comment

Great article J!

Actually many customers are surprised to find that there are 2 BOVs for the GTR. Usually people think of just one as single turbo cars are more common.

I recommend the HKS BOVs for anyone doing any upgrade. I've never had a complaint with them before. Great sound, great quality.
          RightDrive Inc. Parts Manager
          http://www.rightdrive.ca :: http://www.rightdriveparts.com :: http://www.rightdriveusa.com
          1970 Highway 7 West, Vaughan, ON :: 1-877-398-8220

Comment

Is it possible to relocate the BOV position in a GTR? They tend to get dirty very easily where they are and can cause a problem. It's not problem really for stock recirc valves but with aftermarket BOV's it can be bad..

Comment

Anyone know what psi/power level the stock blow off valves are good to? Are you all just changing them out for the sound/look?
              1987 Lamborghini Countach

Comment

Originally posted by sushtsi
                Anyone know what psi/power level the stock blow off valves are good to? Are you all just changing them out for the sound/look?
                anything over 1 bar will cause problems with them

Comment

I installed my GReddy RS today... Didnt re circulate or anything like that... no problems at all.. no stalling etc...

they arent that loud i actually wanted them louder but oh well..

Comment

Originally posted by nissanconvert
                    I installed my GReddy RS today... Didnt re circulate or anything like that... no problems at all.. no stalling etc...

they arent that loud i actually wanted them louder but oh well..
                    single RS or 2 of them? what do you have. please try and be remotely informative when you post thanks. :wink:

Comment

check my old posts in this thread haha..

GREDDY Rs x2 .. on a GTR...

Took off the old ones welded the greddy flange and bolted the greddy on... and took off the recirculating y pipe... and plugged the other end of the recirculating inlet...

Could easily see how u could add your own dump pipe and run a single BOV.. looks quite do able..

Comment

Originally posted by James Mramor
                        the only SMART way to run a single BOV on a GTR is if you have done a single turbo convertion... there is no Bridging unit to put both turbos on the same BOV... there is one guy that is running NO BOV's in BC, he is also using a specially designed/re-built T78 with a Ti-alloy wheel to make sure that the wheel sould not snap when runnig 2 bar.

and if you run only 1 BOV on a GTR you will be cutting off the BOV to one of the turbos and you will have a unwanted single turbo conversion about 2 weeks later and you will have half the normal GTR power!!!
                        (and you will be buying a new set of twisties!)

Not true. Where the factory BOV is hooked up is the summed output of both turbos. The reason for two is probably related to flow. Two small valves to allow more air to be recirculated.

What hurts more than anything is relieving the BOV to atmosphere. The air that was metered by the MAF is no longer there. The car goes rich, and plenty of times it stalls.

What hurts also are cheap aftermarket BOV that open up under big boy boost. I'd rather rebuild turbos than have BOV's open under big boost.
                        Sean Morris

Comment

Originally posted by sushtsi
                          I did 700 whp and about 35 psi on the std BOV.
                          Sean Morris

Comment

I haven't actually looked at this on the car yet, but judging by the diagram, you can easily run one BOV or BPV. A single tube from before the throttle body runs down to the BPV's, then there are two pipes from the BPV's going to a Y pipe and singling out, then they split again to go back to before the turbos. If one BOV or BPV can purge the air quick enough, then running one is quite doable and maybe more cost effective.

The reality then becomes, it probably cost Nissan more money for the casting of the metal and the tubing to run two, so they probably did it for a reason. Unless the extra material and stock BPV cost less than one good BPV.

If one is able to purge enough air, then I plan to run just one when the time comes.

Just my opinion...
                            "If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards...Checkmate." <Zapp Brannigan>

Comment

I am to thinking of running a single BOV. I was told that a 50mm BOV will work just fine. They recommended the Tial 50mm BOV to me at TAG in Oakville when I was there last week for a dyno run.
                              - You don't know me, and you don't know my style!

Comment

Originally posted by hamiltonr32 View Post
                                I am to thinking of running a single BOV. I was told that a 50mm BOV will work just fine. They recommended the Tial 50mm BOV to me at TAG in Oakville when I was there last week for a dyno run.
                                Yes, this is exactly while I checked this forum. I am test fiting the Tial 50mm right now (its massive) and it doesnt look like it will fit if replaces the right recirculation valve, however if valve is removed the hole is capped and welded and the 50mm tial goes on the outter flange it MIGHT fit. Ill know later today :P

Comment

Working...
                                X