• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, forged RB20DET, nice work.
    RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

Good stuff Mark, That polishing turned out really good too. Coming along nicely. Now all we gotta do is drop that lump in my broke ass GTS-T.

Comment

Any updates???
        RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

What did you do to get that mirror finish shine on the air inlet for the turbo?

Just mainly curious as to the polish you used.

Comment

Hey guys, I have a little update here for you, not much work has been done since the last time I posted. I've been focusing a lot of time on the car itself (e-brake and Skyline GTR brake conversion, cleaning up my wiring harness, putting my engine bay back together after I painted it...it all adds up). I ordered in some genuine Nissan parts to replace the old gaskets, seals, some bolts, etc, etc as well. Front oil seal is giving me problems too, can get the stupid thing on, broke 2 of them attempting to put it on...another one is on it's way, third time's the charm maybe .

Here's some progress after today....

Yum...Nismo 62degree t-stat.

Don't know how well you can see it, but it says 62C on the housing (lower left side).

All of the fixtures and sensors are now back on the engine. Oil filter block is back on too.

The oil pick-up, new seal and bolts.

Water pump and t-stat housing back on. Excuse the mess guys, storing parts isn't a specialty lol, that mountain of parts is slowly making its way back onto the car ops:.

Tucked away for another little sleep.

I'll keep updating this more frequently, keep you updated more.

Ryan, for the polishing compound, I found this excellent stuff at Canadian Tire, works very well. I cant remember what spec I got but I bought a cleaner polish and a finishing polish. Those 2 compounds paired with a buffing wheel on the drill and crazy amounts of wetsanding and prep beforehand will net those exact results.

By the way, if anyone is interested, the OS Giken clutch is for sale, willing to let it go for REALLY cheap...it needs a rebuild, so I've decided to take a different route.
            1992 NISSAN 240SX - RB20DET POWER
            1990 NISSAN 300ZX - 2+2

Comment

Originally posted by ARC240 View Post
              Ryan, for the polishing compound, I found this excellent stuff at Canadian Tire, works very well. I cant remember what spec I got but I bought a cleaner polish and a finishing polish. Those 2 compounds paired with a buffing wheel on the drill and crazy amounts of wetsanding and prep beforehand will net those exact results.
              Cool. Thanks for the info!

Are the polishes like hard clay sticks? I have been looking for them ever since I bought my bench top polisher. I think it's tri polish or something and then there is a white bar for finishing it off. However I never even thought about how much of a difference wet sanding could do.

My un wet sanded coil pack cover :-(

You cant see it from this angle but it could be a lot better.

Comment

Originally posted by RyanGTS-T View Post
                My un wet sanded coil pack cover :-(

You cant see it from this angle but it could be a lot better.
                That looks like it turned out really well actually. I think it looks good. Wet sanding was just something that I tried to experiment with, I wetsanded with 80, 200, 600, 800, 1000, 2000 3000grit (IIRC) and then finished with the polish. Mine was just a trial run, I think I'm going to sand it back down and try again. The CAS bracket I'm redoing as we speak. I also need to buy finishing wax (the white stuff you're talking about), I just have some paste wax on mine.
                1990 NISSAN 300ZX - 2+2

Comment

OK MARK!
                  forget about the polishing and post some more pics of this BEAST!!!
                  bscmotorsports.ca
                  Arctic Cat Fircat F7 Sno pro

"You mean, let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little f*cked up maybe, but I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to fuckin' amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny? Whaat the f*ck is so funny bout' me, tell me, tell me whats funny..."

Comment

I want to see that cover installed!!!
                    Victory is on the horizon..

Comment

what oil pump you goin w/?

good job

Comment

Originally posted by Oakville View Post
                        I want to see that cover installed!!!

Mine? If so pm me, his build thread isn't the place to be showing off my motor.

Comment

More updates guys, new Nissan front main seal was picked up today and with the use of some grease...it slipped right on, thanks for the advice guys!

For the oil pump, I decided to go with the R34 RB26 N1 oil pump. Since I have the lengthened crank collar, I don't think the oil pump will have any issues. Lots of people have used the N1 pump making higher numbers with a lengthened crank collar and haven't complained about it. New OEM Nissan oil pump gasket on there aswell.

New idler/tensioner pulleys purchased along with all new installation hardware.

On to the pics...

Waiting on the rest of the oil pump bolts.

I decided to grab brand new bolts for a lot of things just because. Don't know why, but it sure looks pretty .

Oil pickup, cleaned, new o-ring, new bolts.

Thanks for the comments so far guys, I really appreciate it!
                          1990 NISSAN 300ZX - 2+2

Comment

Trust me on these old cars, it's always a good idea to get new bolts. You never know when they're gonna break.

I got new coil packs and the first thing I did was head down to the hardwear store and got all new bolts.

Oh, I broke that stupid 10 mm bolt on the water pump. Who the heck thought of putting one 10 mm bolt on a water pump in the first place like really?
                            I had to remove the pump, take the bolt out, reseal the water pump and re install with new bolt.

Comment

Agreed! Had lots of brittle bolts on the engine, I guess the continuous heating/cooling/heating/cooling, plus exposure to moisture and what have you really degrades the bolt's structure.

More updates soon...still looking for a flywheel.
                              1990 NISSAN 300ZX - 2+2

Comment

keep us updated you italian stallion!
                                bscmotorsports.ca
                                Arctic Cat Fircat F7 Sno pro

"You mean, let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little f*cked up maybe, but I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to fuckin' amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny? Whaat the f*ck is so funny bout' me, tell me, tell me whats funny..."

Comment

Working...
                                X