Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nelsonmxmarc 1993 GTSt Type-M Build / Tips-tricks for HCR32 (Skyleezy!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I ran it under because inside the car there are possibilities for chafing due to ppl moving in and out, plus I didn't want to cut up the carpet and hide it.

If you've been under the car and completely removed the HICAS, you'll see that there are plastic/rubber holders that were in place from factory for the HICAS lines. I used one of those lines and it goes straight to the engine bay for a clean fitment. Also doesn't have any chance of grounding out because everything is insulated.

The trunk floor even has a rubber grommet that allows the cable to go through.

Comment

• Awesome thanks man!

Are you running 4 awg pos/neg to the back? and what did you use to contain the battery? I see some people made some fancy aluminum boxes with voltage readouts... Looking for a few ideas
      Check out the GTST Projects page and keep up to date with my build!
      www.nelsonmx.wordpress.com
      Like us on Facebook! www.facebook.com/NelsonMX
      Any part inquiries can be forwarded to marc@nelsonmx.com

Comment

• check out my build thread or fb.

I have an NHRA approved aluminum box which I mounted by drilling all the way through the trunk floor. The kit came with like a 2guage wire. (not 0 ).

Also I don't have a grounding wire that goes all the way back to the engine bay. I grounded it @ the trunk and it's been working fine. No problem there.

Comment

• I see
          And the grounds remaining in the engine bay like the alternator and starter you simply grounded to the body?

Comment

• Well im anxious as fack to start my 2011 winter build.. so many ideas coming up lately that i can hardly contain myself from putting my car away early..

We'll be buying a welder soon for our shop - likely a TIG Lincoln 225.. As well.. A hydraulic SCISSOR LIFT Pretty much like dumping a fat kid in a candy store.. So my ideas for the car have greatly increased over the last few days..

Without further ado, my build for 2011 consists of this;

Engine

Stock bottom end
            Stock top end running 155 comp across
            Tomei Stainless headgasket (1.5mm)
            ARP Headstuds
            Head work (DIY; porting, polishing, gasket matching)
            Tomei Valve springs
            Bronze valve guides (maybe...)
            Greddy Timing belt
            HKS Adjustable cam gears
            Exhaust manifold (Stock, DIY porting and gasket matching - removing meat off the divider plate and really porting the exhaust port to turbo)
            Intake - Get rid of floppy rubber hose - fab a full metal intake with recirc and pcv plumbing
            Turbo - RB25 Hybrid - Hoping to squeeze in a 2876 CHRA as a 2871 seems to do the trick - this will be pushed up to around 17 psi at first, then 20 to see how she rolls.. Top end is stock mind you, but i hope she holds a summer.. plan to go forged 2.4 next year anyways..
            Cams - having stock RB20 cams reground
            Exhaust - 3" turbo back with a 1.5" divorced wg (Staying internal) to HKS hi-power (no resonator, test pipe etc)

Godspeed intercooler - single sided entrance and return bar and plate design
            - Running a water cooling system on this as well and will be making (yay welder!) a split washer/alcohol sprayer containment system for this

Oil cooler - a 'now' DIY cooler.. 19 row Setrab cooler and filter relocator

Intake - Need a new filter - Apex'i? I have an M's filter on now so the mounting plate is there, are there still replacement filters for the K&N?
            - Designed a 'ram-air' system for this early in the season if you scan through my build thread - jut a caution to those driving in the rain.. fml

Fuel
            Injectors - GTR injectors bench tested at 480 - flowed, cleaned etc
            Fuel pump - GTR pump

Transmission
            Needs a revamp.. Going to pull apart my other tranny (have a second one at work) and see how it looks.. Going to change all synchros, see what condition the gears are in, change input shaft bearing and maybe get 2nd/3rd/4th gears replaced with forged gears (finally found a guy..)

Clutch - ACT 6 puck - still in great shape i'd assume but going to measure tolerances on the plate

Footwork
            Hicas - removed and locked
            Coilovers - HSD HR
            UCA - AMS
            Tension rods - Cusco
            Bushings - Energy bushing kit from A-Z
            Subframe - AMS Solid subframe / diff bushings

Interior
            Rear seats - Coming out - Cross bracing from the C pillars to B pillars are going in (yay welder ftw round 2) - this will be covered in a carbon overlay and a small bench section will be made to supprt bags, books, papers etc. Will not be used as a seat, however.

Fixing my dash bubbles - going to try the "syringe glue" method and get rid of these once and for all!

New gauge - Water temp gauge going in the empty carbon slot

Speakers - need new speakers to run off my 400w amp.. Any suggestions for a good overal freq but good low freq w/o the need for a sub?

Battery - relocating to trunk

Brakes
            HPS Pads
            Goodridge stainless lines
            AMS Slotted rotors
            Brake booster stopper (welder again yay lol)

Other
            Repaint engine bay scheme.. HSD's are green, maybe stay blue, or just go green? Ionno..
            Cam gear cover is coming off though..
            Building a DIY catchcan - welder again? NO WAY!? lol.. I have an idea i drew up in photoshop which i think will work phenomenally..
            Switching cam cover breathers to AN fittings and running braided lines to catchcan
            Rerouting throttle body and plenum warmer - damn coolant system designed for cold starts - coming off
            Building a CF lip for both GTS and GTR bumpers
            Replace coil pack cover - dremmel it out and add a new logo.. not sure if they sell emblem plates for this or not?

Have interior shampooed.. Give'er a compound/wax and she's good to go for another season..

Oh and see Robin again.. most nerve racking experience.. damn dyno lol

I'll keep adding to this list as i accumulate more ideas/change opinions on things..
            Last edited by nelsonmxmarc; 11-09-2010, 01:00 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by nelsonmxmarc View Post
              I see
              And the grounds remaining in the engine bay like the alternator and starter you simply grounded to the body?
              if you look closer, you'll see those things are already grouded to the body before going to the batt's neg post

i my case what i did is i ran a 0-gauge cable for positive and a 8-gauge cable for negative, wrapped them i a plastic protective tube, all the way underneath the car, using hose clamps and selftapping screws to hold it to the floor, and grounded the batteri in the trunk as well as the neg cable

for your weight savings, have you thought about a carbon hood, you can easily save 30lbs there, and how about a GTR plastic fuel tank instead of the gts-t's metal tank, another 30lbs !
              Last edited by frankiman; 11-09-2010, 02:20 PM.
              sigpic

[links to all chapters in first post]

Comment

• Ah ha, i'll run that this winter and see how she goes - its pretty straight forward! Thanks for the info guys

Honestly.. Carbon hoods just look so damn cheesey lol That's basically why i never bothered to do it.. it has crossed my mind, i'll admit, but i dont have THAT much interest in it.. I have looked into developing simply as a client product because there is interest.. but it would require a revamp of my vacuum system and layup area .. and pricey .. very pricey compared to seibon and cheap chinese crap which people buy anyways.

GTST metal tank really doesnt weigh as much as i thought it would.. When i had received my parts car early last year, i pulled it off for a customer looking to replace his tank; it weighed about the same as that of the GTR because the GTR tank is considerably larger.. actually it's noticably larger! when i see you tonight, you'll see you cant see the tank like you can on a GTR, it snugs up much higher on the body.. GTR tank probably lowers the CFG a bit but i wouldnt go through the hassle of the swap for a 1:1 weight ratio and a bigger tank.. plus its like 80 to fill lol, it only costs me 50 @ 94.. which i guess on a good day is 1.15 per/L.. and that gets me 500 km

Comment

• Originally posted by frankiman View Post
                  for your weight savings, have you thought about a carbon hood, you can easily save 30lbs there, and how about a GTR plastic fuel tank instead of the gts-t's metal tank, another 30lbs !

hell no, the gts tank when empty weighed 25 lbs. (with a bit of slosshing fuel stuck in the baffles)

He's better off with a GTR hood IMO. it's lighter than non-dry carbon hood.

Comment

• can wait to sese this carbon fiber book shelf you putting in the back lol awesome
                    - Adam

:
                    http://forums.gtrcanada.com/gts-project-cars/44846-project-nashzilla-r32-gt-t-neo.html

Comment

• Originally posted by M13 View Post
                      hell no, the gts tank when empty weighed 25 lbs. (with a bit of slosshing fuel stuck in the baffles)

He's better off with a GTR hood IMO. it's lighter than non-dry carbon hood.
                      Yes and yes!
                      GTR hood would be nice rather than my chopped off GTS hood lol

can wait to sese this carbon fiber book shelf you putting in the back lol awesome
                      Lmao, book shelf, that's actually how i described it today as well! It'll be epic.. ill have all the classics in there

Comment

• Yeah I weighed the difference to be 30 lbs from GTS to GTR hood.

nothing amazing but nothing to ignore.

Comment

• as for the audio.. umm... forget the speaker-sub. you will have to put like 20sq feet of sound deadener in each door, install some sweet cdt es-06 or hybrid audio 6.5 but you will need a powerful amp at about 150wrms even 300wrms channel to power them and have the tweeter powered by the radio ( but you will have to install a xover and at the end you better just buy a second amp that will do 2x50wmrs)..

see? just get a sub it will be easier.

and, how about the HS HR? do we try to group-buy something or not? same goes for that little intake metal piping.
                          Need detailing done to your car? I'm open to travel to detail your car :

http://forums.gtrcanada.com/group-buys/54899-ontario-cobraa-detailing-group-buy.html

Please follow my works and latest news/promotion at : https://www.facebook.com/Waxxonspa || Waxxon.com ||

Comment

• 30 lbs.... fml

Alex, thanks for the tips. I'll look into a bit more this winter but i definitely want to ditch the small infinity basslink i have in there for DD and just run speakers with a decent low end.. My amp now is 400 rms, should handle a pretty decent range of speakers @ 100 per.. Was thinking of infinity's with component tweeters but i hate having to drill more OEM interior bits for the tweeters n things.. ugh ideally i'd put them in the door like the tweeters are in the cayenne and vdub we have, instead of 'cliche-mutilating' the A pillar..

HSD HR's yes... Group buy would be solid ? Tyler can hook that up!

Comment

• Oh and.. Car is officially in storage.. Lol

Thanks to Josh, Peter and Frank for waiting around while my car pissed oil all over the ground 60 km away from home!

... At some point on my journey to our photoshoot, one of my oil cooler lines pulled out of the fitting just enough to piss all my oil out.. My fault really; the line was hitting a power steering line ever so slightly, and also my frame.. My father made a good point when he showed up an hour later with 4 quarts of 15w-50 and a set of tools; just the movement of the engine under power was enough to bump my line up against the power steering line - eventually it helped yank it from the fitting...

How much oil was left.. well... Josh and i were fascinated to see it was just up to the first tiny tiny bend and thats... 0.8.. 1 litre left? Ahhhh yes.. Good old Skyleeze, making it to see another day!

And for those of you wondering how i got home - simply removed the adapter plate and put the filter directly on the block once again.

Comment

• If my car was still around, I could let you listen to my audio. It's pretty hard to have good midbass ( 80 or 100hz high-pass) without proper deadening and with regular speaker. You will clearly need a component simply for mid and one for high.

I did put my tweeter in the pillar.
                                Last edited by cobrAA; 11-10-2010, 12:00 AM.
                                Need detailing done to your car? I'm open to travel to detail your car :

http://forums.gtrcanada.com/group-buys/54899-ontario-cobraa-detailing-group-buy.html

Please follow my works and latest news/promotion at : https://www.facebook.com/Waxxonspa || Waxxon.com ||

Comment

Working...
                                X