RB20 project S14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like.

Can see it's very flat when driving (normal when untuned), ECU tune should wake it up.
    RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

So I hit the dyno today with the same numbers safer tune by far but same numbers. 398whp @ 280lbs of TQ on SAE correction. Max boost was 18.5 lbs. Car really needs and alignment, @ 15psi it's just won't stay straight as the RPM's climb. I won't even bother to try 18psi till I get it done next week. For some reason the dyno RPM is off? my revlimit was 8000. Ohh well Not 400SAE hp but close enough for me to try and enjoy. Im sure when it gets cooler it will be @ 400whp lol.

Comment

Took another video of a 15psi pull. Last time it was the untuned pull now it's the tuned pull. Started off in 1st and rolled into it.

Comment

sexy!

Comment

Got the alignment done on the car now it's not so scary to drive anymore. Also went back to the dyno since it was cooler and the alignment is right. Same boost level and 91 pump gas.

Comment

Car is running great I can now drive it @ 15psi and not fear for my life. Tires spin and car keeps straight . Next issue is the kitty kat, I don't have one and wanted to get the car tuned 1st before I got one installed. I picked up the Vibrant Hiflow ODB1 cat on Ebay and got it shipped out to me.

Going to get it installed prob next week. I hate to see bald eagles fall out of the sky and unicorns lay dead in the street because of my car. Going to try and drive it at 18psi after I get comfortable with the 15psi boost level. To be honest 15 psi is good enough for me at this point.... man I'm getting old.

Comment

Hooked back up my VSS to the AEM since I had cut the wire going to it back in the day when I was on stock ecu to get rid of the speed limiter. Now the 2step works off the VSS and will only work if I'm going under 3mph. It builds 14psi off boost on it.

Comment

i approve of this project!!

Comment

Another update. Lost 5th gear in my Rb20 transmission last month. It's prob the 5th gear selector and I was pretty upset about it. I was expecting 3rd to die or maybe 4th but not 5th. I picked up a RB25DET transmission to replace the RB20 unit. Tried to swap it in this Friday. Got all the way then found out the drive shaft shop was closed . For anyone who has a 240 and RB20 with Mckinney mounts you need the RB25 trans mount and a little banging for it to fit.

Old trans about to come out

25 trans about to go in

all in.

I borrowed my friends RB25 drive shaft from his S13 and it was a little short but worked for the mean time. I switch over my short shifter from my RB20 trans which to my surprise it fit. This trans feels sloppy side to side and the gearing doesn't seem to be too big of a difference. Now I won't have to worry about kill the trans and if I do I'll find a Z32 trans and use it for parts.

Comment

Another update. Lost 5th gear in my Rb20 transmission last month. It's prob the 5th gear selector and I was pretty upset about it. I was expecting 3rd to die or maybe 4th but not 5th. I picked up a RB25DET transmission to replace the RB20 unit. Tried to swap it in this Friday. Got all the way then found out the drive shaft shop was closed . For anyone who has a 240 and RB20 with Mckinney mounts you need the RB25 trans mount and a little banging for it to fit.

Old trans about to come out

25 trans about to go in

all in.

I borrowed my friends RB25 drive shaft from his S13 and it was a little short but worked for the mean time. I switch over my short shifter from my RB20 trans which to my surprise it fit. This trans feels sloppy side to side and the gearing doesn't seem to be too big of a difference. Now I won't have to worry about kill the trans and if I do I'll find a Z32 trans and use it for parts.

Comment

Ok update time! It seems the cat install and some other unknown factors I lost some whp ohh well. Took the car to the Streets of Willow @ willow springs raceway. The rims I ordered did not show up in time so I had to rock the stock GTS wheels wrapped in Federal RS-R tires. These tires work great, I now have traction in 2nd gear vs just spinning. Busted a motor mount at the track too . Didn't know what it was at the time tho, the steering shaft started to rub on the down pipe and causing a crazy vibration. Fixed it the next day after I got home. Drove it to the track and drove it home too. 2.5 hour drive both ways.

It was my 1st time on the track and I wasn't going balls to the wall lol. Didn't want to be the noob who went off into the dirt on his 1st try at a track day.

Went back to the dyno and dropped the down pipe for some pulls. Still short of what I did before, Think I might have messed up the turbo driving around with no filter lol.

Random vid of my doing a drag launch with the Federal Rs-R's

Then my wheels came in a few weeks ago, For cheap wheels they took a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time to come in. I ordered these back in March!.

The Fronts didn't clear the caliper, Needed a 3mm spacer and all is good. The fronts are 17x9+25, the rears are 17x10+20

Put the fronts to the rear to see what it would look like.

Put the filter back on and found I out I have been having a serious compressor surge problem

Looking for another job right now so I can get back on pace so it's going to be slow for a while.

Comment

]Not much going on other than me getting off my lazy ass and finishing up my meth install. Car runs soooo much better with the meth spraying . My EGT's went lower and my AF got richer lol. I bumped up timing and car feels great, best part the 1 gallon bottle seems like it will last a while. I bought some boost juice to use with my meth kit and stuff works great.

I converted the 3rd gear section of this log on virtual dyno to give me a clue on how the car is running.

I still need to pull the head and resurface and change gasket . This fuking car kills me with coolant leaks, every little hose that I changed back in 04 has broken on me lol. Arggg what ever small steps. The RB25 trans is a POS too, I need to take it apart and service it but I'll prob service the RB20 trans so I won't have any down time. Got the power back and some with the cat in place btw listen to the awesome compressor surge!

Comment

Got some money together to buy some tires for my rims. Got the BFG comp sport 2's, 255-40-17 and 275-40-17's.

Rears

Fronts

Need to get the rear fenders pulled and rolled, Fronts are fine even with the 3mm spacer to clear the Z calipers. Pulled the head off today because I still had a persistent problem with the coolant system building pressure and pushing coolant. Going to take the turbo down to the turbo shop and have them prob rebuild it with billet wheel.

Comment

LS2 truck coils

I haven't really done much just driving the car trying to find my lost WHP again!!!! I started to get sparkblow out random times so I'm assuming that the coils are going bad. Borrowed a set of coils from my friends RB25 that hasn't moved in 6 years and still same thing. I suspect that something with the power to the coils maybe in the harness? not 100% sure yet. I was going to redo the power to the coils with a relay and 12v from the battery, Then I thought to myself "will they take that kind of abuse? Will I melt on of these coils. Why don't I just upgrade to some LS2 truck coils!" . So That's what I am doing at this moment. I Need to make a new connector since this mode eliminates the ignitior. I'm mounting mine right on top of the plug since it seems easy enought.

I'm not 100% yet on how I'm going to secure them from moving around but I might reuse the stock plate and weld something onto it so I can bolt the coil to the plate.

A little over kill but what the hell might as well learn a little since I'm going to do the same coils when I switch motors.

Comment

good read. those are impressive numbers for an rb20.
                                RB25 Powered RWD GT-R

Owner for Turtle Garage Hicas Delete Systems

Comment

Working...
                                X