Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ken's 1989 BabyZilla

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • TheyKilledKenny
    replied
    Thanks for all the support guys! I just got back from a 35 day stint in Fort McMurray (with only one day off). I probably won't have time to work on babyzilla until July-August. I just ordered my new .61 A/R Ni-Resist divided turbine housing.


    Originally posted by supersayianjim View Post
    okay, so is this really overkill or a good solution?? the practicality of needing this for a street car??
    For most people my entire setup would be considered overkill, no one "needs" performance modifications. Unlike most of the skyline enthusiasts, I won't sell my car....I will be buried with it lol. I'm going to build it to responsive perfection, no exceptions.
    Last edited by TheyKilledKenny; 04-23-2014, 08:18 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • amnash
    replied
    Interesting. I get boost creep with stock manifold stock turbo and divided dump pipe. I'm looking into wide bellmouth dump pipe. Makes sense now.

    Leave a comment:


  • Supraclean
    replied
    Originally posted by supersayianjim View Post
    okay, so is this really overkill or a good solution?? the practicality of needing this for a street car??
    Not overkill, you can get boost creep with poor designed manifold/ wastegate setups. Its not just for high boost, but all ranges. This will also give ken better/faster spool on his turbo. It really is the new age turbo side of things.

    Leave a comment:


  • supersayianjim
    replied
    okay, so is this really overkill or a good solution?? the practicality of needing this for a street car??

    Leave a comment:


  • Supraclean
    replied
    Originally posted by supersayianjim View Post
    so what is the purpose of having 2 external wastegates??
    Twin scroll to vent the gases properly.

    Leave a comment:


  • supersayianjim
    replied
    so what is the purpose of having 2 external wastegates??

    Leave a comment:


  • Got2BeBoosted
    replied
    Nice setup really like the manifold and wastegates!! wish i would have just went all out on a manifold setup, I ported a stock one with and external 44mm gate on it and running a Holset. That thing is gonna spool so quick when your done!

    Leave a comment:


  • TheyKilledKenny
    replied
    I just realized after posting that the turbine housing on my GTX3071R isn't divided. Looks like Garrett has released divided housings now, I don't think that they were an option when I purchased mine. To see the full potential I need that housing, another $500+ Now I'm thinking of stepping up from a .63 to a .83

    Leave a comment:


  • TheyKilledKenny
    replied
    Originally posted by amnash View Post
    i have my EBC wires through the fender and going in through the wall with the engine harness. only thing next to my turbo is the engine harness and one brake line.. and your turbo is waaay closer lol looks bad ass though and mines very stock and not as exciting.. lol
    hey, why did you put two waste gates? just the size of turbo needs two?
    Ya I'll have to figure where to tuck my wires away, your setup definitely sounds like an option. Ya I love the way the 6boost manifold positions the compressor. I have two WG's because I'm running a twin scroll turbo and divided manifold. The manifold is divided so it needs two WG's to accommodate the release of excessive exhaust pressure.

    Last edited by TheyKilledKenny; 03-15-2014, 01:24 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • amnash
    replied
    i have my EBC wires through the fender and going in through the wall with the engine harness. only thing next to my turbo is the engine harness and one brake line.. and your turbo is waaay closer lol looks bad ass though and mines very stock and not as exciting.. lol
    hey, why did you put two waste gates? just the size of turbo needs two?

    Leave a comment:


  • TheyKilledKenny
    replied
    Originally posted by Xeno-Vibe View Post
    I thought baby zillas were Pulsar GTi-R
    Some also call the Juke-R babyzilla aswell...I think calling the GTS babyzilla makes the most sense.

    Originally posted by amnash View Post
    looks good man, must have gotten a new phone too! the photo quality since Christmas is amazing lol
    are all the runners on that manifold the same length?
    and that resistor looking thing is pretty close to the turbine housing it might get fried which would suck, i have no idea its job.. i think its to prevent surges in electrical?? mine had enough slack in the loom to mount it just in front of the shock strut nice and cool area.
    Thanks Adam! I like the build on your car aswell, even though I haven't had the time to go back through every page again yet. I took the pictures with my GF's Canon T3i, its pretty badass. I believe all the runners are the same length or atleast very close to the same, I'll try to remember to measure them before I put on the metal exhaust gasket and torque'r on. Yea I have no idea what that thing is...I think it says "JECS" on it??? I can always solder some more wire on it and relocate if I don't have the slack. The wires for my EBC go by there too, I have some heat reflecting tape that I can apply on all my electrical in that area. Now I want to mock up where my FMIC is going to sit, I'm guessing people had to move their horns to mount them? I'm just not sure where I should move them to.


    JECS Corporation ( formerly Japan Electrical Control Systems Co Ltd) is an automotive components company headquartered in Isesaki, Gunma, Japan and a wholly owned subsidiary of Hitachi. Its principal products are electronic control units, software, semiconductors, mechatronics, resin molding, inspection technology and material analysis.
    Last edited by TheyKilledKenny; 03-14-2014, 06:39 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • amnash
    replied
    looks good man, must have gotten a new phone too! the photo quality since Christmas is amazing lol
    are all the runners on that manifold the same length?
    and that resistor looking thing is pretty close to the turbine housing it might get fried which would suck, i have no idea its job.. i think its to prevent surges in electrical?? mine had enough slack in the loom to mount it just in front of the shock strut nice and cool area.
    Last edited by amnash; 03-14-2014, 01:03 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Xeno-Vibe
    replied
    I thought baby zillas were Pulsar GTi-R

    Leave a comment:


  • TheyKilledKenny
    replied
    So I figured out that I dont have enough room to plumb in water to my WG's. I can reach 3 out of 4 fittings no problems, but one is too close to my strut tower (I could bash the crap out of it with a hammer....but I won't). The WG's water port's use a M8 x 1.0 thread....but good luck finding a banjo that has a -4AN tail in that size. Atleast I figured out what Ill be needing for my EBC, I ordered a bunch of hose and barbed fittings. This is how my EBC & WG vacuum lines will be hooked up.
    Last edited by TheyKilledKenny; 03-14-2014, 01:36 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • TheyKilledKenny
    replied
    So I finished welding out the screamer piping. I've never TIG welded thin stainless before, it was actually challenging lol. If you attempt this, make sure you clamp together your v-bands or else they will warp out of shape. You will also need to purge the inside of the piping with inert gas (I used argon), or else the stainless will "sugar". It was a battle to get the v-band's around the Wastegates and screamers, there is just barely enough room for this setup to work. It seemed impossible to put them on in place, so I took the exhaust manifold and studs out, I also had to remove the power steering pump. Tightened everything on my workbench, then popped it back in place. Tomorrow I plan on sorting out what I need to connect vacuum and water lines to the WG's.

    My new toy


    Crappy picture of my dump



    Put on a v-band to connect the dump pipe to the existing 3" exhaust


    Installed springs in the Wastegates (I put in 1 bar worth of pressure, boost controller can double it )


    6Boost Manifold with WG's and Screamers installed



    Screamers



    Turbo



    Engine Bay
    Last edited by TheyKilledKenny; 03-09-2014, 01:03 AM.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X