Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Saved my car from the great scrap heap in the sky(redo of my first car thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saved my car from the great scrap heap in the sky(redo of my first car thread)

Hey everyone I got bored and decided to redo my build thread, with everything I've learned and the information info I collected from the great minds of the forums and friends.

Link to my old thread: http://forums.gtrcanada.com/gts-proj...oject-car.html

I picked up my almost righten off HCR32 with a swapped RB25DET from an auto body shop up in Scotsburn NS in the middle of February.
    And I had originally found out about the car from my friend who went and bought an old 90's cavalier from him and he spotted it and asked about it, after hearing about it I called the owner of the shop up and he was asking 2,500 for it.

After making the three hour drive there and back, and a few sleepless nights I called the shop and told him that if he brought it down I'd have the check waiting for him. And that's how the story of my skyline begins

At the time I didn't have any where to store the car so I asked my aunt and uncle if I could use the garage and they were more the happy to let me work on the car during the winter.

The first thing I did when I started working on the car was remove the hood, fenders, and I borrowed a slide hammer from my collage to pull the rad support out.

Once I pulled the rad support out I removed the trashed old rad and HKS intercooler, and cut the bumper beam off.

I popped the trunk and wasn't expecting to see what i saw haha

Once the weather started to get a little better I ordered a front cut with no engine from Jdm online. and couldnt wait to put the hood on it and lay the fenders on to see what it looked like

Just before the big move to my house

The guy who came to bring the car back to my place was flying down Waverley road(twisty residential street) doing about 10-20 over the speed limit and openly told me that he was going to be there before me... he almost took out three green bins. The guy just plain scared me haha

Once the car had come home I started working on removing the rad support(like an idiot)
    The first rule when buying a smashed car always always leave it in one piece.

My little work tent

When I finaly got the rad support off I had already drilled out the spot welds on the front cuts rad support and needed to take off the GTR rad holder things....

After all that I slid the new rad support on and clamped it down. During this time I just stated my work term and the work slowed down and I asked the owner of the shop if it would be okay if I brought my car in to work on it, more importantly pull the frame.

When I lined up the new rad support it was not centred because there were some wrinkles in the right front wheel well. It also didn't help me that i cut the old rad support off, its a lot easier to pull a frame with everything intact. But you only learn from your mistakes

Once at the shop we could only get it on the frame puller that was built into the ground, love bring low

But lucky for me I had gone and found the car dimensions and printed it off and we use the measuring sticks to get everything lined up and welded, also fitted the bumper beam and my gaps... but with no turbo charger piping.

When the frame work was we bled the brakes and also changed the break fluid.
    I also bought an eBay front mount intercooler and put that on without cutting the bumper beam, GTR bumpers are great :P

looking like a car again hahaha

The next thing to do was get my exhaust welded back together and mount it

It was cut in two places, at each end, so by the rad in the picture and by the tip.

When I finished welding I took a look into my cat and noticed it was really clean and I'm guessing it had a cleaned one installed, and when the exhaust was all welded and mounted up we were good.
    Last edited by Modb; 05-29-2012, 02:49 AM.
    Started rebuilding my skyline when i was 18
    1992 GTST RB25DET
    http://forums.gtrcanada.com/gts-project-cars/54849-saved-my-car-great-scrap-heap-sky-redo-my-first-car-thread.html
    Originally posted by Bravo
    PS My wife just told me I was shitting in your Cheerios!
    I'm sorry,
    Good luck!

The next thing was to sort out my mess of a harness.

I'd like to thank Daniel Goodine, he helped me with my wiring problem and we cleaned up the engine pretty good too.
    (Car's home by this point because my three week work term was over)

New Mishimoto Rad

New boost gauge

New turbo to manifold gasket to replace this one

Brand new windshield from Ottawa(not installed yet but soon)

Cleaned up the interior a lot and in the picture it looks like i have two SAFC's but its only one and the other is a AVCR, and a piece of cardboard with my boost gauge hiding a mess of wires from what ever was installed before.

Slightly modifying my lights to run h3-55w not h3c bulbs. No hids here.

My JDM tape holding the GTR corner lights in because I cant find Gtst corner lights to save my life hahaha

kinda blurry but got my wideband installed and everything on. Thanks to Focused Motorsports and once again thanks for the help Dan.

running rich, 11.9 on wideband at idle, but when I pump the brakes it goes up to 14, so I don't know

Almost ready for the road.

New windshield is installed

and I love plastic welding at 12:30 in the morning haha

June first I had a hose split just between my fire wall and the block, it was the hose that cooled my turbo i believe and today June second i had another hose break fun times in the maritimes
    Last edited by Modb; 06-02-2012, 11:49 AM.
    1992 GTST RB25DET
    http://forums.gtrcanada.com/gts-project-cars/54849-saved-my-car-great-scrap-heap-sky-redo-my-first-car-thread.html
    I'm sorry,
    Good luck!

Comment

update, bodywork

Last edited by Modb; 01-26-2013, 07:26 PM.
      1992 GTST RB25DET
      I'm sorry,
      Good luck!

Comment

It's normal to get a fluctuation in your wide band when pumping your brakes. Maybe not that much though. I've seen brake booster leaks causing A/F ratio fluctuations.

Comment

All I have to say is way to stick with it! I had my doubts especially when you see "first car/project" but hey you did a great job! Nice car man!
          Miss driving sooooo bad! Need to get a car on the road ASAP!

Comment

Another skyline saved, well done. Looks great
            97' R33 GT-R Vspec
            Sonic Silver

www.arnejatrading.com

Comment

I really enjoyed redoing my thread to, because it showed me exactly what i needed to do and how far I'v come
              I still haven't taken it for a dive yet hahaha and the fact that its mine is just starting to kick in
              1992 GTST RB25DET
              I'm sorry,
              Good luck!

Comment

Car looks good! Nice job man
                92,94,95 Honda Civic
                92,92,93 Nissan Skyine GTS-T
                91 Nissan Skyline GTR
                92,93 Nissan 180sx
                90,91,91,92,93,93 Nissan 240sx
                89 Nissan Silvia

Comment

How long did you have the car....where you in corner brook 2 summers ago?
                  95 R33 Gtr

RICE - Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancement

Comment

I'v only had the car for 5 months
                    1992 GTST RB25DET
                    I'm sorry,
                    Good luck!

Comment

You're doing a great job! Glad to see you know what you're doing, and doing it well.
                      Looking for cheap parts? supguyex (Jon) is parting out his car. Good prices, good guy.

Comment

Progress looks great.
                        Keep it up man

Comment

Yea I ordered some Gtst corner lights, but every where I called, they didn't have them so I just bought a pair with broken tabs and ill just zip tie them or something haha. Should be here Thursday :P
                          Edit: I also did an oil change, I think it was 2.5L or 3L of engine oil in it haha now its 10w30 close to 4.75L, going to pick up some more at crappy tire, on sale for 25$ :P change it in 1000k just to make sure everything is good
                          Last edited by Modb; 05-29-2012, 11:33 PM.
                          1992 GTST RB25DET
                          I'm sorry,
                          Good luck!

Comment

So my car has sat on jacks for about 2.5-3 weeks and probably will be sitting up for another, i need a new tensioner pulley idler pulley, coil packs and coil pack harness =.= more money getting thrown down the skyline pit haha
                            Edit: also I changed the water pump
                            Last edited by Modb; 06-23-2012, 01:46 AM.
                            1992 GTST RB25DET
                            I'm sorry,
                            Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Modb View Post
                              I'v only had the car for 5 months
                              Ok ... I think I seen it here a couple times... I maybe over your way in about 2 weeks
                              95 R33 Gtr

RICE - Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancement

Comment

Working...
                              X