Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanna hear something crazy? I ran 18psi on my RB20 on an RB25 turbo. The boost creeped to 20psi at times.

:|
    1989 R32 GTS-t (Sold)

Comment

• Headgasket is changed when fitting bigger turbo, boosting up. I was told by tuners, over 1 bar.

If you have seen the seal difference (frayed seal with stock headgasket, goes from thin to thick), you would fit a metal headgasket that has consistant thick seal around cylinders. Also stock headgasket can be crushed by head easily with higher engine temps which happens on racetrack, but metal headgasket has some resistance to this.
      Last edited by Skym; 11-22-2011, 10:14 PM.
      RESPONSE MONSTER

The most epic signature ever "epic".

Comment

• What's the recommended headgasket for the 20/25's? I hear Tomei makes a 1.1mm metal head gasket?
        1989 R32 GTS-t (Sold)

Comment

• Depends on what compression you want. General rule of thumb is if want to run high boost (up and over 20psi) reliably with stock bottomend or forged bottomend on RB20DET, thicker head gasket to lower compression (1.8 Tomei for forged or 2mm HKS metal headgasket for stock piston) to get it into 7's with compression (similar compression to low compression version of Group-A RB20DET engines with forged pistons that run around 24psi all the time with T3/T04E turbo for around 448rwhp and are reliable for 3000km before rebuild is needed, which is the same rebuild km on RB20, RB25, RB26 with wet sump). But you sacrifice offboost performance with thicker headgasket.

Factory use 1.2mm, 80.5mm gasket for roughly 8.5:1 compression on RB20DET, which produces good off boost performance but limit's boost level that you can run reliably.

Rough compression, thickness of headgasket with stock pistons, aftermarket Tomei pistons is mentioned here for RB20DET -

1968年にチューナーで日産ワークスドライバーでもあった鈴木誠一が城北ライダースの仲間とともに「東名自動車」を設立し、2018年で創業50年を迎えます。そう、東名は「車好き」「チューニング好き」が集まって設立された会社です。

RB25DET runs higher compression (like a NA engine with higher compression pistons) and when combined with VVT, extra capacity gives it better off boost performance and I think uses a similar thickness (1.2mm) gasket to lower compression -

1968年にチューナーで日産ワークスドライバーでもあった鈴木誠一が城北ライダースの仲間とともに「東名自動車」を設立し、2018年で創業50年を迎えます。そう、東名は「車好き」「チューニング好き」が集まって設立された会社です。

With RB25DET you fit GTR crank, conrods, forged RB26 pistons to lower the compression. I think it's 20psi with bigger turbo (similar to GT3076R turbo), that's the reliable boost level for RB25DET with metal headgasket before dropping compression.

I noticed many tuners have come to the same conclusion (after blowing engines up) that anything over 20psi on RB engines, it's recommended to change pistons to forged to prevent ringland failure. With E85 or similar fuel, that limit can be extended to over 30psi (RB20DET with metal headgasket) due to cooling affect of fuel (cooler cylinder temps, cooler piston temps, higher resistance to knock which is one of the causes of ringland failure).
          Last edited by Skym; 11-26-2011, 01:36 AM.
          RESPONSE MONSTER

Comment

• ^lots of good info
            R33 GTST RB25DET series 1
            Stock motor, holset HX40, power fc d-jetro, bolt ons, 20psi = 492rwhp 364 lbft

Comment

• Bigger/thicker head gasket = Lower compression? Interesting
              1989 R32 GTS-t (Sold)

Comment

• With compression it's a combination of piston crown design, thickness of headgasket, dome shape in head. Running a thicker headgasket makes that area between piston crown, head bigger hence lowers compression.

Here's a diagram showing what I mean with thicker headgasket, etc and formula to work out compression -

Dome like shaped piston crowns are used on F1 engine pistons which helps to suck air into engine at higher rpm -

Last edited by Skym; 11-27-2011, 11:50 PM.
                RESPONSE MONSTER

Comment

• New numbers on my 240SX, been a while since I updated my build thread, but I will soon!

All runs were on 91 pump gas with a 3" high-flow cat installed, the cat did hinder the numbers especially a higher boost levels, but this is what it made.

331.6RWHP @ 14psi (low boost)
                  379.0RWHP @ 19psi (hi boost)
                  389.8RWHP @ 20psi (hi boost, HKS filter removed)

All on a decently modified R32 RB20DET (shortened list)
                  RIPS NZ Intake Manifold
                  80mm billet alum throttle body
                  JUN 264 in/ex cams, titanium springs, titanium retainers, valve guides
                  Supertech 1mm Over Valves, Seals
                  Port/polished head
                  Fully forged bottom end
                  Centerline custom turbo manifold
                  Turbonetics T3/T04E 60-1
                  3" turbo-back exhaust
                  Catco 3" catalytic
                  Bosch 750cc injectors
                  Custom fuel rail
                  Aeromotive 11141 Fuel Pump (340lph)
                  HALTECH Platinum Pro Management
                  1992 NISSAN 240SX - RB20DET POWER
                  1990 NISSAN 300ZX - 2+2

Comment

• 1990 r32 skyline gtst
                    rb25det neo
                    stock turbo
                    arp head studs
                    mc intercooler
                    3 inch exhaust
                    warlboro 255
                    vipec v44

made 302 rwhp @ 14 psi (maxed out stock injectors)
                    then turbo exhaust wheel popped on the dyno!
                    next is 880cc injectors and gt35r

Comment

• Does this seem right? 250whp at 18psi (with a little boost creep up to 19ish) on a mustang dyno pump gas and WMI

Turbo Specs are 58mm exhaust side and 60mm compressor with a 9cm exhaust housing I think 0.65 a/r
                      Z32maf
                      550's
                      Water meth
                      Stock intake and exhaust manifolds
                      Big enough exhaust
                      And greddy 2.5'' fmic kit
                      Built R32 GTR, BW S362, 682awhp @ 28psi

Comment

• RB20DET
                        Stock internals
                        Hybrid RB25 Turbo
                        FMIC
                        550cc injectors
                        Walbro 255 fuel pump
                        3" turbo back exhaust
                        Aeromotive fpr

scan0001.jpg

Tony said I have an exhaust restriction, he could not add more power without knock. I don't know if it could be the cat or resonator.
                        sigpic

Comment

• 354whp & 350lb/ft

1989 R32 GTS-t (Sold)

Comment

• Bottom built rb25det. stock head
                            Gt35r
                            550cc injectors
                            Full standalone

387 whp

Gonna put some cams in and see what that does!

Comment

• ^ what PSI and injector duty cycle, im running a very similar set up.
                              Built R32 GTR, BW S362, 682awhp @ 28psi

Comment

• Running 17 psi not Shure of duty cycle

Comment

Working...
                                X