Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I plan on going into an automotive trade... i'm not a stupid kid. My average this year overall is around 85, so i'm sure plently of opportunities will open up for me when I get older if I keep my grade's up in highschool. Usually, I see skyline's in the same price range as any other used car. I don't want to buy a low mileage'd GTR showcar, or something... I mean christ, there's offers like this all the time: http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ288245762

I don't see why I can't own a skyline like that, and still save up for my education. I'm going to be a 16 year old kid that wants a car, so why not a skyline? I honestly don't see myself driving around in this hyundai elantra with 150,000 klicks, that my dad passed down to me when he died a few years back...
    You guys make it sound like I want to dive straight into the market and buy a 10 grand GTR then pour time & money into it haha.

Of course, I know my future overall is more important than some car I'll look back at 10 years from now and say what the hell was I thinking, but I don't see why I can't save up for my education and my car =\ .

"Education > Significant Other > House > Basic Transportation > Skyline"

In my mind:

"Education > Significant Other > House > Skyline"

Hell, lately I haven't been having the greatest luck with lady friends. It might as well look like Education > House > Skyline ...LOL

Don't hate on me, remember i'm only 14 and I have no real life experience. I realise that. But I think it's feasible to own (or even SAVE UP for) a skyline while i'm getting an education, and I could still reasonably plan for my future. I know what it's like to live in poverty... it's not fun.
    Last edited by Adler; 06-07-2011, 07:21 PM.

Comment

• If you can do both all the power to you man.

Where do you live? That will be the deciding factor.
      Victory is on the horizon..

Comment

• Calgary, AB?

Comment

• If you lived in Ontario you wouldn't be able to afford insurance that's why. :P
          R32 GTR FULL SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD:
          http://forums.gtrcanada.com/faq/36-holy-bible-6.html#post467565

Comment

• If your in BC or Al your insurance costs are minimal..

Your good to go buddy..
            Agreed. Good to have you here Ben

Comment

• Originally posted by Adler View Post
              I plan on going into an automotive trade... i'm not a stupid kid. My average this year overall is around 85, so i'm sure plently of opportunities will open up for me when I get older if I keep my grade's up in highschool. Usually, I see skyline's in the same price range as any other used car. I don't want to buy a low mileage'd GTR showcar, or something... I mean christ, there's offers like this all the time: http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ288245762

I don't see why I can't own a skyline like that, and still save up for my education. I'm going to be a 16 year old kid that wants a car, so why not a skyline? I honestly don't see myself driving around in this hyundai elantra with 150,000 klicks, that my dad passed down to me when he died a few years back...
              You guys make it sound like I want to dive straight into the market and buy a 10 grand GTR then pour time & money into it haha.

Of course, I know my future overall is more important than some car I'll look back at 10 years from now and say what the hell was I thinking, but I don't see why I can't save up for my education and my car =\ .

"Education > Significant Other > House > Basic Transportation > Skyline"

In my mind:

"Education > Significant Other > House > Skyline"

Hell, lately I haven't been having the greatest luck with lady friends. It might as well look like Education > House > Skyline ...LOL

Don't hate on me, remember i'm only 14 and I have no real life experience. I realise that. But I think it's feasible to own (or even SAVE UP for) a skyline while i'm getting an education, and I could still reasonably plan for my future. I know what it's like to live in poverty... it's not fun.
              Thats fine buy a Skyline if thats what you want to do, no one is saying that you cant buy one. What we are doing is telling you our personal experiences and offering you our thoughts on your situation. I can say that I wanted a car when I was in highschool badly, but I didnt buy one even though I could afford one. Looking back I am glad that I made this decision, and thats what I wanted to get across to you, my personal real life experience.

However, if you do decide to go this route I would suggest you do a lot of research on this site before you make your decision. Many $5K and even $10K Skylines end up needing to have a bunch of money dumped into them for expensive parts (including OEM parts), repairs, and even rebuilds. In some cases these repair costs can be more than the purchase price of the car. Read and search to find out what to look for when shopping as it has been posted here many times.
              1994 R32 GT-R V-Spec II

Originally posted by aN4rk1
              Like frig, is it really that hard to spell properly on the "internetz"?? I don't know whether these guys just choose to spell like that or don't know HOW to spell...either way...WTF?

Comment

• I'm very much in the same situation as many of you other young guys on here. I'm 16 years old working at the local Sobeys 25+ hours a week, and in the winter teaching as a snowboard instructor. and going to High School. I do/ will very shortly have the money to buy a Skyline if I wanted to, though one day I gave it a solid think over about the posatives and negatives to owning a Skyline as a teenager. The primary ones would be the money. I hope to get into University for software Engineering at either Waterloo or Carelton, so marks are really my number one priority now. Going off to University requires alot of money and so does a Skyline, so I think of it this way, do I want the skyline now and not be able to go to University and have an unprdictable future, or do I want a secondary education which allow me a stable job and money to buy a Skyline (an r34 gtr by that time ) and support my family? My choice is the second one

Edit: I appologize for my spelling errors, English isn't my strong point
                Last edited by Rainey94; 06-08-2011, 06:58 PM. Reason: I gots da bad grammars
                I drive a Honda...

Comment

• Originally posted by Nismoist View Post
                  However, if you do decide to go this route I would suggest you do a lot of research on this site before you make your decision. Many $5K and even $10K Skylines end up needing to have a bunch of money dumped into them for expensive parts (including OEM parts), repairs, and even rebuilds. In some cases these repair costs can be more than the purchase price of the car. Read and search to find out what to look for when shopping as it has been posted here many times.
                  Cool beans. When I have enough money to look into buying one, what do you suggest I research/ask first?

...also, thanks for the advice guys. I appreciate hearing your personal experiences.
                  Last edited by Adler; 06-08-2011, 11:03 PM.

Comment

• Unfortunately most low-$ Skylines are highly problematic, theyre cheap for a reason. The closer to stock the better, get it checked by a mechanic. Main things to check are compression, all of your charge piping for boost leaks, condition of turbos, and if the KMs are legitimate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rainey94 View Post
                      I'm very much in the same situation as many of you other young guys on here. I'm 16 years old working at the local Sobeys 25+ hours a week, and in the winter teaching as a snowboard instructor. and going to High School. I do/ will very shortly have the money to buy a Skyline if I wanted to, though one day I gave it a solid think over about the posatives and negatives to owning a Skyline as a teenager. The primary ones would be the money. I hope to get into University for software Engineering at either Waterloo or Carelton, so marks are really my number one priority now. Going off to University requires alot of money and so does a Skyline, so I think of it this way, do I want the skyline now and not be able to go to University and have an unprdictable future, or do I want a secondary education which allow me a stable job and money to buy a Skyline (an r34 gtr by that time ) and support my family? My choice is the second one

Edit: I appologize for my spelling errors, English isn't my strong point
                      and this guy gets it. You're lucky you did at your age, it only clicked for me 6 months ago.

Comment

• hey thanks Oakville... legit, you're the first person that has opened my eyes and made me realise I should take a step back and look at the bigger picture of life. I'm glad I posted here.

I got a job offer recently, and a house watching job paying me 350. The same people also want to hire me for some under the table construction work. Not enough for a skyline or a post secondary course at SAIT or something, but it's a start! I think i'll save most of my money for the important things in life (like you guys were saying), and maybe open a special savings account just for the car lol.

Unfortunately most low-$ Skylines are highly problematic, theyre cheap for a reason. The closer to stock the better, get it checked by a mechanic. Main things to check are compression, all of your charge piping for boost leaks, condition of turbos, and if the KMs are legitimate.
                        Damn.... what about importation? I'd be willing to get a broker, safety check, pay import fee's etc. if it ment a better car in the long run.

I can't wait for mechanics in highschool

Comment

• Got my first skyline when I was 16, and my second at 17. I drive a better car in highschool that most people do after highschool in this town.
                          Originally posted by Robski
                          do you really want something a guy with a Civic has?

Comment

• Well Usually you get the same car, but pay a few k more. shipping is like $1500-2k depending on location, brokerage is usually at least 1k. Unless you have a friend that can do it, its better to save that money, buy a cheap car and just wait for something to break. If you find a cheap car, just make sure it doesnt burn oil, has good compression (at least 150 in all 6 cylinders), and has a straight body. any mechanic can check for these. if the car is 5k and meets what I said above, its a good buy and you can keep a bit of cash on the side to fix the little things that die.

and np dude. not trying to force anyone to do what I feel is the right way, by any means. Just take it from someone who was in your exact situation, take it as advice. I am now in position to potentially be hired in the career ive always wanted to be in, and thats cause I was smart with my money and time. While in high school I didn't get the car I dreamed of ('89 GTR), pretty soon I'll be in the position to start up my own life, and Im sure a weekend warrior ('89 GTR) wont be too far behind. I turned 19 two months ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adler View Post
                              Damn.... what about importation? I'd be willing to get a broker, safety check, pay import fee's etc. if it ment a better car in the long run.

I can't wait for mechanics in highschool
                              Importing, you're looking at approx. $2k in import fees, plus duty, importers fee (Around $500), and any applicable taxes. Essentially add about 3-4 grand onto the cost of the car. A good friend of mine is an importer. I'll shoot you a PM with his info if you want, and you can ask him about importing yourself!
                              Originally posted by kengeroo
                              that's what I thought when I opened the package..
                              ...don't drink and ebay
                              '03 Ford Mustang

Comment

• sweet, sure!

Comment

Working...
                                X