How awesome is a stock gtr32?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by titaniumrings View Post
    My nephew is looking to get either a 300zx/FairladyTT or an R32 Gtr.
    Both of us have no real experience with either.
    Is the Gtr blowing away the 300zx, or is it close (0-60 mainly)
    Everyone here is talking mods to their Gtrs, but isn't is really hot in stock form??
    Keep in mind that you are on a Skyline board, so your answers of course may be biased. Of course I like Skylines better, but I have always liked the 300's too. I have been on a couple 300 boards and apparently the VG30DETT after some modification can keep it's torque numbers close to hp, they seem to think this makes all the difference. Also, heard that the stock VG block can handle around 700-800hp too. So for there abouts the same money in mods, you can achieve the same hp before having to rebuild the engine stronger, but the z will have more torque, but the GTR is AWD.

The z won't have a shipping cost attached to it.

Correct me if I am wrong guys, but doesn't the z come in a 2+2 as well?

Personally, I love the z, but the only reason I love the GTR more is that you don't see too many of them around at all.

Originally posted by GDZILLA View Post
    ..."The man magnet"...
    Hilarious...but true...
    "If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards...Checkmate." <Zapp Brannigan>

Comment

I have seen very varied 0-60 times posted for the R32.
      Anywhere from 4.7 to 5.8 sec.
      Can it hang with a Wrx Sti, for an example?
      How much a difference is it when you go to 14psi? (1 bar)

i drive a basically stock 89 GTR & my best friend has a 06 STI.

last summer we did a 5000km back road's trip though some very twisty sections
      of oregon & on accel I'd say (he'd agree) the cars are basically equal. I had no problems hanging with him on exitting corners down the straight to the next corner.

As for drag racing , i couldn't tell ya . I like corners.

do you notice a difference at 14psi ? ( i have a boost controller ) yes but 13-14psi is considered to be the point where the stock turbo's start to fail due to the ceramic blades. I have my boost controller set at 12 psi for a high mode & you can still feel a difference in the way it pulls to redline.

you have to remember these cars are over 15years old & most modern cars have just caught up in the last few years so that alone is impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by BMXER View Post
        ...13-14psi is considered to be the point where the stock turbo's start to fail due to the ceramic blades. I have my boost controller set at 12 psi for a high mode & you can still feel a difference in the way it pulls to redline.
        I'll tell ya...don't do 15psi on stockers...but it pullllled haaaard!!! Loved it till they let go....
        "If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards...Checkmate." <Zapp Brannigan>

Comment

Originally posted by GDZILLA View Post
          Yes the Skyline has a back seat for hauling your friends and the Z...well just enough room for a player and his freak.
          in a 300 you can only do it in the back seat... where as in a skyline you can have mega sex with 3 or 4 people. lmao:shock:

also...
          make sure your nephew knows how to drive well!!!

assuming your thinking rhd gtr and lhd 300 if he goes gtr get him some practice before attempting to drive hard at all. these cars aren't toys as i learned the hard way. don't let him become a rhd statistic...

Comment

Originally posted by Kirk View Post
            I'll tell ya...don't do 15psi on stockers...but it pullllled haaaard!!! Loved it till they let go....
            Do the same turbos for upgrading fit both cars the same?
            A 300zx turbo upgrade will fit on a GTR?

And so, the GTR had to be in your high boost (12 psi) setting to keep with that friend in his stock boost 06 STI?

That still makes the GTR pretty crazy fast in close to stock form!
            What is stock boost? 10psi?

Comment

The roof comes off of a 300zx,, nuff said...summer here I come.

Comment

Stock boost is about 9psi, I believe. That is bumped up quite easily by removing the boost restrictor.
                1989 Skyline GTR

"Want to Race? Save it for the track!"
                www.victoriamotorsports.ca

Comment

Originally posted by Marke View Post
                  Stock boost is about 9psi, I believe. That is bumped up quite easily by removing the boost restrictor.
                  turbos from the 300ZX fit the GTR?

Comment

I am not sure. Getting turbos in North America for both cars is fairly easy. There are 3 Garrett models that bolt up on the GTR.
                    1989 Skyline GTR

"Want to Race? Save it for the track!"
                    www.victoriamotorsports.ca

Comment

Originally posted by VicSkylines View Post
                      also...
                      make sure your nephew knows how to drive well!!!

assuming your thinking rhd gtr and lhd 300 if he goes gtr get him some practice before attempting to drive hard at all. these cars aren't toys as i learned the hard way. don't let him become a rhd statistic...
                      Is RHD so much more iffy that having similar power etc, but in a left hand drive setup?
                      I would think that getting a 300hp car as a first ride would be bad enough.
                      But is that RHD the bigger issue?
                      And won't the 4wd generally save looping it in corners over a 300ZX?

Thanks for all this input, eh!

Comment

Originally posted by Marke View Post
                        my car ran 6.4

Comment

Is RHD so much more iffy that having similar power etc, but in a left hand drive setup?
                          I would think that getting a 300hp car as a first ride would be bad enough.
                          But is that RHD the bigger issue?
                          And won't the 4wd generally save looping it in corners over a 300ZX?

Thanks for all this input, eh!
                          No i'm 17(18 next month) and i've owned 4 rhd vehicles haha 5th coming next month... i love rhd and i'm glad i got them.. but i started lhd to get my basics down and not in something fast, you need to work your way up. specially if you think he may be immature behind the wheel. i'll admit i was once but after a serious accident i was woken right up. unfortunately i was made a rhd statistic.

as a first car yea it's a bit sketchy i'd say... 300hp+ is a hell of lot for someone who hasn't driven much.
                          i've had my license for well over a year and drive a gts4 as my daily. the gts4 is 4wd(or 4w assist w/e) as well but she'll still swing out if your not careful. i hope he's got a good job these things aren't cheap(94octane, regular oil changes...). these cars still have the power to throw themselves around and under control of someone without experience may be treacherous.
                          my $0.02.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirk View Post
                            AHAHA Im with ya on that one....was fun while it lasted
                            --Mat Rodger--

Comment

turbos from the 300ZX fit the GTR?
                              Not without modifications. I believe the they are different. And why would you do that because I am pretty sure they are smaller than the ones on GTR.
                              10 Infiniti FX35
                              09 Infiniti G37X coupe
                              02 Subaru WRX....sold
                              01 VW jetta 1.8T....sold
                              90-00-08 BNR32
                              92 NX2000...sold
                              95 S14 LE...Sold

Comment

Originally posted by mcfly View Post
                                my car ran 6.4
                                psi boost, or seconds 0-60?
                                hope its psi!