Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seat belts from other cars that fit skylines?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know how you guys got just the rear seats out of all of this? ITS ALL SEATS!!! I need 5 belts/buckles

And no, its a street car you cannot remove your rear interior and belts and still pass, they would just say well you clearly took it out so you didn't have to find rear seatbelts, fail and im ******, so i'll just do it properly once and hopefully not have to worry about it again, but it comes back down to knowing what belts to put in. i need to get them asap

Comment

Make a plywood sub box and strap it in there... Say its a "work in progress".

This is how we got the rear seats out of it, read your original post...

Originally posted by super_joel7 View Post
      I need to put new seatbelts into the backseat of my gtr to pass safety and was wondering if there are any north american cars that use similar seatbelts?
      kthxbai
      Last edited by quadracer111; 07-16-2010, 02:44 AM.
      BNR32- Sold
      1998 Evolution V

Comment

you really need to read bro... thats not ME thats the original poster of this thread.. im a guy that chimed in saying I as well needed to find out what seat belts fit... regardless wahtever who cares about that, I found a Nissan NX1600 at a local wrecking yard with black belts, does anyone know if these would fit? or should I just bite the bullet buy them and try them?

Comment

Little mix up on posters there, BUT, everyone is saying just take 'em out for the guy who needed them in the back only. My car has never had a centre position rear belt, cause I removed it. Never been questioned on it..... My understanding was that if the seat is not present, no one can sit there (everything but driver, obviously) so the seat belt doesn't have to be there either. If it's THERE though, it has to WORK.

As for you bnsportsr33, I've never heard of a JDM being called for "DOT" seatbelts yet. If the belts WORK, they should not fail them, period. That would be a biggie if it was a normal issue and everyone with a JDM vehicle would be bitching about it. Nothing on IVOAC.CA I could find either. Thats why I said go to a different inspection facility it just seems like they're being dicks. Sign up and post on IVOAC about this and see what happens....
          Get both the shop, AND/OR whoever called for the VI to show you the requirement and where it's documented.
          The prevoius posters are correct in saying the 15 year law is what EXEMPTs this kind of crap...and older vehicles DON'T need to be retrofitted:
          Qutoed from:

Importation of vehicles into Canada from countries other than the United States Revised December 2002 Subject to revision without notification

The illegal importation of a motor vehicle into Canada is a criminal offense. Inadmissible vehicles will be denied entry into Canada and will be detained. All storage and disposal fees are the responsibility of the importer.

Please read the following carefully.

VEHICLES PURCHASED OUTSIDE CANADA AND THE UNITED STATES

The Motor Vehicle Safety Act and Regulations require that all vehicles imported into Canada comply, at the time of importation, with the Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards in effect on the date the vehicle was manufactured. Vehicles manufactured for sale in countries other than Canada and the United States do not comply with the requirements of the Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Act, CANNOT be altered to comply and CANNOT be imported into Canada. The only exceptions to this rule are vehicles fifteen (15) years old or older as determined by the month and year in which the vehicle was manufactured and buses manufactured before January 1, 1971.

And are you also saying that if you're called in for a VI in Manitoba you CAN'T choose the shop you take it too???? Never heard of that either....just has to be a shop licenced to do inspections right? Should be the same as a safety.

*EDIT - Nobody is telling you which NA car belts work, because likely nobody knows as this is not a usual thing..

Rick
          Last edited by RixR32; 07-16-2010, 02:38 PM.
          '89 GTST - SOLD
          '92 GTR
          '94 Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD LWB
          '12 Mazda3 Sport Skyactiv

Comment

Originally posted by bnsportsr33 View Post
            you really need to read bro... thats not ME thats the original poster of this thread.. im a guy that chimed in saying I as well needed to find out what seat belts fit... regardless wahtever who cares about that, I found a Nissan NX1600 at a local wrecking yard with black belts, does anyone know if these would fit? or should I just bite the bullet buy them and try them?
            I thought I was talking to the OP...

Thats what happens when you threadjack :P
            BNR32- Sold
            1998 Evolution V

Comment

Originally posted by quadracer111 View Post
              Remove the rear seat for inspection, thats what I would do...
              if i remember correctly, without the rear seats, you still need seat belts, very stupid....at least thats how it works in ontario. same with putting in racing harnesses, factory belts still must be in the car
              Victory is on the horizon..

Comment

^^ WTF, thats the dumbest thing I have ever heard....

I would call up a couple VI shops and ask, if I dont have rear seats in my car, do I still have to have the seat belts to pass a vi?

That would be the easiest thing to do, better than guessing.
                BNR32- Sold
                1998 Evolution V

Comment

Okay thanks guys for the replies I will call them monday and see... As for trying to take it to a different shop you guys don't understand that its only one building I can take it too not just shops...

Comment

Again, get these people you have to show the car to, to show you where this is written about the "DOT" or CMVSS seatbelts.
                    Refer them to my quote above from TC's website, print it off and bring it or something.

Good luck

Rick
                    '89 GTST - SOLD
                    '92 GTR
                    '94 Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD LWB
                    '12 Mazda3 Sport Skyactiv

Comment

Ya I'll try that dude, appreciate the effort and the help guys, hopefully I can get something figured out, I'm just worried thought because I brought them documentation stating that BC does not worry about tail lights etc, and they simply said "we don't care what bc does, this is Manitoba, what they do over there doesn't matter to us we do it our way and tail lights need to be changed"

Comment

Why cant you take it somewhere else again?
                        BNR32- Sold
                        1998 Evolution V

Comment

they only do it at one building, its MANITOBA PUBLIC INSURANCE that calls us in for these inspections, its not like a safety

Comment

Originally posted by RixR32 View Post
                            And are you also saying that if you're called in for a VI in Manitoba you CAN'T choose the shop you take it too???? Never heard of that either....just has to be a shop licenced to do inspections right? Should be the same as a safety.

Rick
                            in manitoba if you get a vehicle inspection it doesnt get inspected by a shop, it doesn't even go through a real safety they just look at what says "DOT" and what doesn't, and what ever doesn't has to be removed and if it isn't within 14 days they cancel your insurance.
                            Last edited by rak123; 07-19-2010, 02:37 AM.

Comment

Just an idea, would it be possible to rip a DOT tag off a set of seabelts of another car and sew in on your original ones?

My cars:
                              1996 BCNR33 GT-R
                              1992 FD3S RX-7 Type-S

Comment

Originally posted by RixR32 View Post
                                Little mix up on posters there, BUT, everyone is saying just take 'em out for the guy who needed them in the back only. My car has never had a centre position rear belt, cause I removed it. Never been questioned on it..... My understanding was that if the seat is not present, no one can sit there (everything but driver, obviously) so the seat belt doesn't have to be there either. If it's THERE though, it has to WORK.

As for you bnsportsr33, I've never heard of a JDM being called for "DOT" seatbelts yet. If the belts WORK, they should not fail them, period. That would be a biggie if it was a normal issue and everyone with a JDM vehicle would be bitching about it. Nothing on IVOAC.CA I could find either. Thats why I said go to a different inspection facility it just seems like they're being dicks. Sign up and post on IVOAC about this and see what happens....
                                Get both the shop, AND/OR whoever called for the VI to show you the requirement and where it's documented.
                                The prevoius posters are correct in saying the 15 year law is what EXEMPTs this kind of crap...and older vehicles DON'T need to be retrofitted:
                                Qutoed from:

Importation of vehicles into Canada from countries other than the United States Revised December 2002 Subject to revision without notification

The illegal importation of a motor vehicle into Canada is a criminal offense. Inadmissible vehicles will be denied entry into Canada and will be detained. All storage and disposal fees are the responsibility of the importer.

Please read the following carefully.

VEHICLES PURCHASED OUTSIDE CANADA AND THE UNITED STATES

The Motor Vehicle Safety Act and Regulations require that all vehicles imported into Canada comply, at the time of importation, with the Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards in effect on the date the vehicle was manufactured. Vehicles manufactured for sale in countries other than Canada and the United States do not comply with the requirements of the Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Act, CANNOT be altered to comply and CANNOT be imported into Canada. The only exceptions to this rule are vehicles fifteen (15) years old or older as determined by the month and year in which the vehicle was manufactured and buses manufactured before January 1, 1971.

*EDIT - Nobody is telling you which NA car belts work, because likely nobody knows as this is not a usual thing..

Rick
                                Rick, doesn't that mean that if an import is 15 years or older then they CAN BE ALTERED TO APPLY TO CODE. I don't think it means that they DON'T have to comply with CMVSS, rather they are eligible to BE ALTERED (meaning its accepted, after changing the seat belts to DOT, since the car is older than 15 years). As opposed to an import newer than 15 years which is denied the "privilege" of being fixed to comply with CMVSS.

P.S. sorry for raising a dead thread. I have the same problem as bnsportsr33 (I too am from Winnipeg)

Comment

Working...
                                X