BNR34 Cost Breakdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BNR34 Cost Breakdown

Update: Gallery of 75 photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/1063150...7636848542315/

So I just bought my BNR34 and I've broken down the costs associated with getting it on the road in Canada. I sold my R32 in Jan 2009 and since then I've been plotting this purchase.

Sheet 1 contains my cost breakdown of everything in Japan on the right side, and Canada on the left. The costs associated with the Japanese side of things is set in stone, I've already paid those. The cost on the Canadian side of things isn't, however, and is just predictions based on research and best guess. There might be a few things to crop up here and there, but it should be reasonably accurate. Please see this post for a PST related amendment.

Sheet 2 and 3 contain predictions and auction data. Before I bid on the vehicle I compiled a list of all the grade 3.5, 4, and R grade R34's that have sold in the past little while. I attempted to calculate what any individual car would actually sell for in order to see if it was within my budget. That's on sheet 2 of the spreadsheet along with average sold prices of individual 'features' considering all else equal. The data is on sheet 3.

I hope this data proves useful for anyone thinking about buying a BNR34, or those just curious.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...Gc&usp=sharing

Please note though it doesn't include in the cost any parts that may be required for function, safe operation, or to pass inspection. It's just to get it in to Canada.
    Things I learned when compiling the data:
    • Bayside Blue commands a premium of about 3,000 dollars on average.
    • About an equal number of V-Spec and non go through, but V-Spec don't usually cost much more.
    • Don't bother paying extra for an A interior, if you can find one.
    • My rubbish calculator was actually pretty close for my vehicle cost, only ~20,000 JPY off.
    • The average sold price across all auctions was about 2,500,000. My budget for the car itself was 2,550,000. Exceptionally average budget.
    • Exchange rate can have a big impact. The 100 JPY per CAD rate of 2007 would have saved me around $2,500.
    • Buying a GTR under 2,000,000 JPY is possible, but unlikely.
    • Grade R doesn't appear to have a significant affect on sold price.
    • My data does not show accurately the trend in rising prices. A lot of the cheaper GTR's are from the beginning of the year.

Here is the data on the BNR34 I bought and made the spreadsheet about. It should hopefully give a fuller picture of what kind of vehicle you get for what cost. I did have to compromise a bit on what I wanted (mostly in terms of replaced panels) to meet my budget. Overall I am happy and more than satisfied with the vehicle I purchased and the price I got it at.

The facts:
    • March 1999 BNR34 V-Spec
    • 77,156 kms (Nismo speedo swapped in at 29,830, now showing 48,xxx)
    • Auction grade 3.5 (honestly looks like a 4 to me)
    • Interior grade B
    • TRUST exhaust
    • Adjustable suspension (whether this is the V-Spec suspension or aftermarket, not sure)
    • Strut brace
    • Bunch of gadgets and gauges inside (likely to be removed)

The bad stuff:
    • Two panels replaced/repaired
    • Some small scratches and dents, mostly on the bottom apparently
    • Some general wear and tear
    • Minor windshield chip
    • Curb rash on some/all wheels

And here are the photos:

And finally, the auction sheet:

Phew. If someone can double check to make sure I'm not missing something huge, that would be great. Last time I did this was for my R32 at the beginning of 2007, so I can't be expected to remember everything!

There was an interesting post re: this spreadsheet on another forum. It's an interesting counter argument and can be found here: http://import-era.com/viewtopic.php?id=309
    Last edited by aaronisonfire; 10-22-2013, 07:12 PM. Reason: Updated with more observations of auction data

Great car and amazing write up! Sticky for sure
    1991 Nissan Skyline R32 GT-R: 710whp 521 ft/lbs 27.5psi 11.8 @126mph low boost

Comment

Wow that is $20k cheaper that I thought they'd go for, I'd better sell my r32 pronto!!!
      No build thread.
      1991 nissan
      El terror

"Built not bought" sooner or later = "broken not running"

Comment

Can anyone identify the extra stuff in the interior photo? There's a gauge of some sort and what I think is a turbo timer on the steering column. Does anyone have any idea what the other stuff is?

Now, I have an amendment; This only pertains to BC residents purchasing a vehicle and storing it in Japan:

Continuing to do further research, PST is payable on the depreciated value of the vehicle. Which is calculated according to the time period between registration and purchase.

The depreciated value is determined as follows:
        Depreciated value = Purchase price – [purchase price x depreciation rate]
        The depreciation rate for a vehicle is the total of the following:
        • 30% for each full year (12 consecutive months; not calendar year) since you purchased the
          vehicle, plus
        • 2.5% per 30 day period in a partial year (note: periods of less than 30 days must be
          computed to the nearest 30 day period with 15 days counted as one 30 day period).

For example, if you purchased a vehicle at a private sale in Alberta on May 12, 2013, and
        brought it into BC for business use on June 30, 2014, the depreciation rate would be 35%,
        calculated as follows:
        • 30% for the full year running from May 12, 2013 to May 11, 2014, plus
        • (2.5% x 2 = 5%) for the 30 day period running from May 12, 2014 to June 11, 2014 and
          the 19-day period running from June 12, 2014 to June 30, 2014.
        http://www.sbr.gov.bc.ca/documents_l...ns/pst_308.pdf (see page 4)

Really they might as well just say 2.5% per month or partial month since purchase, as 12 * 2.5 = 30, but I digress.

Since I purchased my vehicle yesterday, it's going to sit in Japan for 7 months before being registered (counting the likely partial 30 days of March, ignoring the 1 day of August). According to this my vehicle will have depreciated 17.5%, and my estimated PST cost will actually be about 300 dollars lower. 1,583.70, instead of 1,919.64. Assuming this applies to vehicles from outside Canada.

I've not reflected this in the spreadsheet since it's a strange case.

People in BC buy your 2002 GTR's now and you'll avoid paying any PST! ;p
        Last edited by aaronisonfire; 09-01-2013, 02:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by aaronisonfire View Post
          Can anyone identify the extra stuff in the interior photo? There's a gauge of some sort and what I think is a turbo timer on the steering column. Does anyone have any idea what the other stuff is?

From what I can see, it looks like you've got a Pivot turbo gauge (quality bit), a HKS EVC IV, and a Japanese toll sender unit. It looks like there's something on the steering column, but I can't make it out...

Comment

Awesome car.. and killer color. Can't wait to get one of these in a few years.
            BNR32- Sold
            1998 Evolution V

Comment

Ur going to pay 18% tax once it lands.... On the purchase price of the car not on depreciated value.

Unless u would like to get in an argument with cbsa which I wouldn't recommend because they will just screw u over and not release ur vehicle

Comment

I should part out my race car and buy an R34 lol, like 1/2 the price ffs and would probably run.
                Black 1991 GTR. Serious garage stand mantle/parts car.
                Black 1990 Pulsar GTiR. Sold
                Silver 1989 GTR. Sold
                Black 2010 Subaru WRX. Weekend warrior. Sold.
                Black 2013 F-150 FX4 ecoboost. Daily driver.
                White 2012 Ford Explorer Limited. Family wagon.

Sorry for my offensive comments, I r socially retard.

start by having A ROLLING GTR then we talk u ******* mofo funzy little *****
                lol

Comment

Originally posted by cooke24 View Post
                  Ur going to pay 18% tax once it lands.... On the purchase price of the car not on depreciated value.
                  I am going by the cost breakdown sent to me by the customs broker and my previous import.

PST isn't charged at import time by CBSA, only 6.1% duty and 5% GST on the purchase price. PST is paid at registration time in BC, and only PST is based on the depreciated value. However, we'll see what actually happens when the car comes in and I'll update everything at that point too.

Comment

To make it easy on yourself and not get into argument matches with icbc as they always win

Your exporter might accidentally mark the cost of the car on your bill of sale drastically lower than u pay... It happens sometimes just saying

Comment

I've seen this happen countless times exporters are buy guys and make lots of bills of sales

Comment

Originally posted by cooke24 View Post
                        To make it easy on yourself and not get into argument matches with icbc as they always win

Your exporter might accidentally mark the cost of the car on your bill of sale drastically lower than u pay... It happens sometimes just saying
                        I already have the bill of sale and I have my own private spreadsheet with those numbers. The spreadsheet linked in the original post is an estimate only

Mark was nice enough to send me two photos of the car as it arrived in his yard today:

Comment

I pmed you.

Comment

So will this one be put up on a mantel its whole life?

Vehicle Sourcing - You Tube Videos - Facebook Group
                            For Parts Inquiries, Please Post Here

Comment

Who is storing the car for you? and did you just buy it through a auction house or did you use a importer?
                              Fully built GT-R

Comment

Working...
                              X