Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

USA Gov't seizing more skylines.... watch out!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dah_hunter View Post
    Its legal to Import Most cars from the USA into Canada.. im not sure what your referring to here..

see RIV for a list:
    http://www.riv.ca/Home.aspx
    Sorry, worded that wrong. Basically meant that US cars do not pass inspection here without modifications, lights, speedo, GPS, blah, blah, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1989 R32 Skyline GTR SOLD!!!!

The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering.
    -Bruce Lee

Comment

GM didn't need a bailout all it needed was for the fatcats who ran the company into the ground while padding their own pockets to put up the money and fix the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Voodoo_ChildR32 View Post
        Just wondering how they register and insure illegal imports. There is more to this story than what's being said. I work in the auto industry as a mechanic, and there is no way on hell I would sign off on an illegal car. It would cost me my career. Even a newer model American market car has to meet Canadian standards before an out of country inspection can be passed. There's tons of Canuks buying US cars and importing them into Canada, so basically illegal cars cause they don't pass Canadian safety standards and are much newer then the 15yr rule. I guess I just don't understand why a car is such a big deal, there's way worse things to worry about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Most U.S. DMV's will title anything you can provide paper for. Once a car is titled then no one cares to look at it, they just keep restamping the registration so long as you pay for it.

So what we have here in the U.S. in oodles of cars that have been titled, renewed and even insured for years on end and no one cares. Insurance companies don't care, just give them a VIN and vehicle description and what state it's registered in, that's it.

The knife in the back comes when the U.S. government needs to do a annual budget justification. They have to prove why they deserve to continue to receive tax payer dollars for funding. This is when they go out on their yearly 'round up'. They snatch a few cars here and there and then add it to their justification telling the budget committy "look, see it's right here... this is why you need to keep paying us".

The fault really starts with the state DMV's who approve titles and registrations for such cars. Unsuspecting buyers have no idea it may be illegal because it has valid registration and approval from the local DMV. Only until after a federal agenet says "nope, we have to take that" will they understand.

At any rate, I'm happy to state that this month Skyline Owners USA ( http://skylineownersusa.com ) is back. A internal poll was conducted and the decision was to go public again after locking the doors nearly 2 years ago over this.
        Last edited by Vandrel; 11-26-2012, 12:18 AM.
        95 Skyline R33
        93 RX-7 Type RII SE 沖縄300 Y99-31

Comment

They don't care?

No way. They DO care. That's why so many cars were seized. That's why kneejerk reactions such as locking up SOUSA happened. Government got the exact reaction they were looking for- scared a bunch of little kids driving around in illegal cars. Illegal imports will always happen- but knowing that the Government has, in the past, come after them is a big deterrent. Hint of advice for those with illegally registered cars- don't talk about it, don't post pictures all over the interwebz, and treat it like Fight Club.
          Nick

Comment

Originally posted by GTRPower View Post
            They don't care?

No way. They DO care. That's why so many cars were seized. That's why kneejerk reactions such as locking up SOUSA happened. Government got the exact reaction they were looking for- scared a bunch of little kids driving around in illegal cars. Illegal imports will always happen- but knowing that the Government has, in the past, come after them is a big deterrent. Hint of advice for those with illegally registered cars- don't talk about it, don't post pictures all over the interwebz, and treat it like Fight Club.
            I disagree. There's plenty of cars out there that are rather easy for them to trace and pick up but they simply don't. It has nothing to do with talking about it, if they wanted the cars they could run VIN checks at DMV's and go pick them up.

The number of Skylines seized over the years in no way even remotely out weights the amount that are still in the country, not by a long shot. Funny thing is, most are registered somewhere.

Look, I'm not going to debate or get into the weeds as to why I locked down SOUSA. I had my reasons as advised by the legal council retained.
            95 Skyline R33
            93 RX-7 Type RII SE 沖縄300 Y99-31

Comment

Maybe because the cars were registered illegally?

Maybe because the cars were in the country illegally?

You may want to disagree with what I wrote, but that doesn't change those facts. Don't break the law, and don't have to worry about DHS knocking on your door. It's a conscious choice you all have made if you choose to own an illegally registered car.
              Nick

Comment

Sorry...one out of topic question

If I drive my perfectly Canadian-registered skyline (which is in fact illegal because it has no cat) into the states, what will happen?

Comment

Nothing, you don't live there or are bound by their smog laws. Your car could run on baby seals and it wouldn't matter.

Jon.
                  Why don't you come over to MySpace and Twitter my Yahoo untill I Google all over your Facebook.

1990 GTR Drag Special T88H34D 11.24 @ 127.55mph at only 1.2bar...... officially. SOLD

Comment

I took my Skyline to California for 2 weeks the week after I bought it. Drove around without any problems, cops would look at me, see my BC plates and turn away.
                    sigpic
                    89 Nissan Skyline GTS-t sports limited sedan
                    4 door love.

Comment

Working...
                    X