This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guide: Registering and Insurance in Each Province/Territory

I'm starting a thread where the process of registering and insuring Skylines/JDM cars is outlined for each province/territory. I'll start with BC and Alberta, I know there are some guys on here who can post the process for Saskatchewan and Manitoba for us.

Please don't assume that everything in these instructions are correct, if you are in doubt, do your own research or else follow the instructions at your own risk.

British Columbia

1. Get the proper paper work (Form 1, Bill of Sale, Japan de-registration).
    2. Get a temporary operators permit (TOP) or arrange for towing.
    2. Get a passing vehicle inspection. (VI/ Government approved)
    3. Go to an autoplan agent.
    4. Apply for a re assigned VIN
    5. Wait 72 hours for your new vin.
    6. Be prepared for some asshole to drill two new holes in your car for that re assigned VIN
    7. Go back to your autoplan agent and insure your car.

Alberta

1. Get the proper paperwork (Form 1, Bill of Sale).
    2. Get insurance.
    3. Get an "In Transit" sticker from a registrar or arrange for towing.
    4. Go to a registrar and get a "Request for Out-of-Province Inspection" (~ $7.00).
    5. Take the car to a certified Out-of-Province shop and pass the OOP. You have 14 days to pass the inspection and then register the car, if you exceed 14 days, you'll have to pay for a whole new inspection.
    6. Take your successful OOP paperwork, your Bill of Sale and your Form 1 to the registrar and get registeration.

Someone please sticky this
    Christian of

IN QUEBEC:

1. Get a transit by showing these 3 documents:
    - Bill of sale *copy*
    - Import form *original*
    - De-registration (english translated) *copy*
    2. Pay 7,5% of provincial tax
    3. Have an out of province inspection (vérification mécanique CAA) 80$
    4. Pay for a year immatriculation (250-300$)
    5. Get an evaluation of the vehicule (insurance)
    6. Pay the insurance based on the evaluation

Comment

There's gotta be some members from other provinces who have experience registering their cars. Please contribute!
      Christian of

Comment

In Alberta, why the out of province inspection?

Comment

The registries require the out of province inspection for every car brought into Alberta from anywhere outside the provinces, not just from some other province in Canada.

Hope that makes sense to you, it does to me as I type it

Dave
          Dave

Comment

So alberta requires out of province inspection for any car coming form outside of Canada? And do you know why it has to be oop and the regerstries won't except in province?

Comment

I think we confused you Merlo, the "out-of-province" inspection is performed inside Alberta. It's for vehicles that are coming from out-of-province.

Once members contribute to this thread, can the contributions be moved to the top?
              Christian of

Comment

Hey Christian, don't you need to get your new, re-assigned VIN before you can do the government inspection in BC? I think they just failed one of our BC members (Henry) at inspection for that.
                -Josh

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
                1990 Skyline GTS-R

Comment

Originally posted by aerocabin
                  I think we confused you Merlo, the "out-of-province" inspection is performed inside Alberta. It's for vehicles that are coming from out-of-province.

Once members contribute to this thread, can the contributions be moved to the top?
                  Oh..heh...heh... Don't I feel like the odd man out. Thanks

Comment

Nobody has done an Ontario one yet.

I will do one when I have time. I'm just heading out now.

But I WILL leave you all with some advice... since most cars coming to Ontario usually wind up in Toronto first... might I suggest the North Brampton Vehicle & Driver Licensing Center... they are the ONLY place in the GTA that could figure out what to do with my GTR... and I will be dealing with them exclusively for any future cars... NORTH BRAMPTON V&D L.C. = T3h Win
                    Race. Win. Live.

Comment

so does anyone know for sure if you'e supposed to apply for the VIN before or after the inspection in BC?

Comment

They failed Henry for not having a propper VIN, so I'd either PM him and ask for details, or play it safe and try and get the VIN first. Most of my experiences with ICBC though has led me to believe it's gonna depend on exactly what branch you go to
                        -Josh

1991 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
                        1990 Skyline GTS-R

Comment

I have had the inspection first as well as getting the VIN first. To start with don't get you inspection at Crappy Tire. Go to a real mechanic that will work with you. It is best to apply for the VIN first and then get the inspection. That way all of the paperwork has the final VIN. You can get the VIN after the inspection if you have already had the inspection. It is important to find an understanding mechanic. Let me know if you need help finding the right mechanic.

Comment

Am I missing something, what about Ontario? And another Q, the Skylines that I will be eventually shipping over won't have a problem through transit (I hope), but I won't be in Ontario to do the registration stuff. I have sefety/emmision guys waiting and family to help. Will the regristration be able to go into a family members name?

Vehicle Sourcing - You Tube Videos - Facebook Group
                            For Parts Inquiries, Please Post Here

Comment

^^^Nevermind, I found another thread pertaing to my Q. ^^^

Vehicle Sourcing - You Tube Videos - Facebook Group
                              For Parts Inquiries, Please Post Here

Comment

Working...
                              X