Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you register it in a family members names , whoever you end up selling it to will end up paying GST twice :P

Talk to me on MSN, I have some business to talk to you about. :wink:
    Race. Win. Live.

Comment

IN ONTARIO:

1. Get a transit by showing these 3 documents:
      - Bill of sale *copy*
      - Import form *original*
      - De-registration (english translated) *copy*
      2. Pay 7.5% of provincial tax
      3. Proof of insurance (just the name of the company and the policy number is sufficient--get your insurance carrier to place temporary blanket coverage on it until you get your appraisal)
      4. Your plates (or buy new plates there).

Your jdm VIN# is fine for the province.
      Once you get the car registered, have it appraised, and when you get the report make sure you send it to your insurance company and have them put a 19A policy on it, which will guarantee the appraised value of the car will be paid out if the car is totalled.

I cannot stress enough how imporant it is to talk to someone at the MTO who's experienced in handling gray-market cars. You should deal with the manager, and not some lackey. Certain MTOs in the province are better than others. Ask around GTRC for suggestions. Also too, if you can, call ahead to get them ready for you when you arrive. Otherwise you risk wasting your time arguing with some idiots behind the counter. :roll:

"Life's too short to drive boring cars!"

Comment

Re: Guide: Registering and Insurance in Each Province/Territ

Originally posted by aerocabin
        British Columbia

1. Get the proper paper work (Form 1, Bill of Sale, Japan de-registration).
        2. Get a temporary operators permit (TOP) or arrange for towing.
        2. Get a passing vehicle inspection. (VI/ Government approved)
        3. Go to an autoplan agent.
        4. Apply for a re assigned VIN
        5. Wait 72 hours for your new vin.
        6. Be prepared for some bunghole to drill two new holes in your car for that re assigned VIN
        7. Go back to your autoplan agent and insure your car.

just to update this, it's pretty accurate except that you first need to apply for a VIN by going to your autoagent broker, fill out a form and hand them a check for $25 made out to ICBC and state where you want your VIN to be sent (has to be sent to a certified ICBC garage). once it arrives, you can get them to slap the VIN on and do your inspection at the same time. If you pass, then go get some insurance. If you fail, you need to pass inspection with 30 days or you have to return the VIN and apply for a new one.

Comment

ontario is messed ... i want the the ministry and they want me to get registeration paper instead of the DEregistreration papers.. they want me to translate the papers in english by a ministry approved translator... ( been calling her for 3 days ... sent her the fax as she asked but i got no answer after that ) ... the translated version i have ... they dont want it :S
          help... lol
          -Arham

LHD rb25 neo powered GTST

Comment

Give me a call, I can come down today and meet up with you to get it done with if you want.

What office did you goto? They are so stupid... there is NO SUCH THING as a registration paper anymore... there is ONLY a de-registration paper.

Sheesh

Anyway, call my cell. (905)434-0770, leave a msg if i dont answer with ur number... OR just PM me
            Race. Win. Live.

Comment

thanx alot for ur help man
              an other concern i have is insurance ... allstate quoted $22,000 / yr and after that i m very scared to call other companys ... lol
              anyone else has there skyline insurance in ontario ? if so then what company ?
              -Arham

LHD rb25 neo powered GTST

Comment

Get the car appraised. If you have a committed daily driver you can go to "Custom Wheels" (http://www.lant-ins.ca/contact.html). They quoted me $750 for a $30K appraised car. You GTS will be cheaper since its appraised lower. They do have a bunch of restrictions like not parking in mall, not taking it for long road trips etc.

I ended up just going for regular insurance with my regular insco, Portage Mutual. I am paying just $400/yr due to my perfect record, age, marital status, multiple car discounts etc.
                8)

"Life's too short to drive boring cars!"

Comment

I'm going to be insuring this second one... since I'm keeping it... I will make a complete HOW-TO for registering and insuring as soon as I get this second one to that point.

And you don't have to thank me for the help... people who say time is money, are lying. Time is free, RISK is money.

No thanks required, helping out a fellow enthusiast isn't any skin off my back
                  Race. Win. Live.

Comment

HCR32 coming into Manitoba

If anyone has already registered a GTS-T in Manitoba, I would love to pick your brain.

I have one on a boat destined for Brandon and will be registering it at the end of June or begining of July.

I've spoken in person to the autopac people but they won't quote me a price until I bring them the original paperwork which I won't have possession of for awhile.

So if anyone out there has done this in MB, please contact me.

If not, I should be a resident expert in about a month's time.

Comment

ok im stuck on insurance...

what did you guys need to provide to the insurance company to get you insurance?

i talked to my friend with the 97 RHD Sti... and eh said he had to get the bill of sale and a letter from a lawyer to say the car was his , go to the mto and they provided him with a VIN the insurance companies would recognize?!?!?!?!
                      Team TBA sponsored by YOKOHAMA: YOKOHAMA, Feast AE/RS, Titoboy Approved, Importfest, NextMOD, DSPEED.

http://www.facebook.com/TitoboyApproved "like" us #doWhatULove

Comment

WHOA! how did he get a '97 STi into the country!?

Comment

anyone know if this will be okay to use as the deregistration papers for Ontario? Is this considered a translated copy? (I posted it as a link as its a big image)

I'm pretty sure it will be okay as my business manager is going to get the car registered and he is on a first name basis with everyone at the local license office and we do a ton of business with them. Now I just gotta get the damn car here!
                          1987 Lamborghini Countach

Comment

well... better late than never.

Manitoba
                            1. Get a temporary by showing these 3 documents to the MPI under Portage/Main (the little mall thing):
                            - Bill of sale *copy*
                            - Import form *original*
                            - De-registration (english translated) *copy*
                            2. Pay 7% of provincial tax
                            3. Bring the car for provincial inspection (Fantasy Auto on Selkirk Ave has experience with Skylines)
                            4. Bring the top 3 papers, temporary insurance/registration issued by the portage/main MPI outlet, passed safety papers to whichever MPI place you want
                            5. Grab the plates, tags, registration/insurance info and make sure to keep all up to date and in order. You are now the proud legal owner/user of one of the most harassed cars on Manitoba's roads
                            90 Nissan GTS-t Type M
                            Originally posted by DrMango
                            Your past girl friends must have really skewed your idea of what "tight" is.

Comment

Originally posted by Merlo
                              Originally posted by aerocabin
                              I think we confused you Merlo, the "out-of-province" inspection is performed inside Alberta. It's for vehicles that are coming from out-of-province.

Once members contribute to this thread, can the contributions be moved to the top?
                              Oh..heh...heh... Don't I feel like the odd man out. Thanks

No you can get it inspected beforehand

Comment

the tax gts7& do oyu pay it on w/e you paid for the car ex.8000 , or do you pay it on what the importer bought the car for , ex @ auction 1000 ?

Comment

Working...
                                X