Racing Harnesses. What where when why

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dragon Humper View Post
    In a frontal crash if you've mounted your harness to the floor (where else are you going to mount it) and the seat buckles, you've just crushed your spine. The cage mounted harness bar will make sure that the seatback doesn't compress and fold you in two. Speeds of more than 70km/h can generate the force needed to do this.

Jon.
    b pillar cross bars eliminate this problem. its like a harness bar but infront of the back seat.

Comment

Originally posted by Turismo View Post
      . there isn't much talk about using this type as it seems to be taboo to use anything less than a cage.

Schroth as developed a D.O.T. certified system using this method. This seems perfect for what i need.

That's about the only way I would do it without a belt bar (either cage mounted or B-pillar mounted). There is still a chance that the seat could do something funky, fold sideways and still give you problems but the chances are MUCH lower with this setup. Still won't pass an NHRA inspection, but much safer.

Jon.
      Why don't you come over to MySpace and Twitter my Yahoo untill I Google all over your Facebook.

1990 GTR Drag Special T88H34D 11.24 @ 127.55mph at only 1.2bar...... officially. SOLD

Comment

Interesting debate here, both sides have some valuable points.
        I just have one question, I understand that the standard 3 point belt allows your body to fold forward and down in event of an accident, but if your car is upside down in a roll, will your body still roll forward and down towards the floor? Being upside down means that your body would actually be rolling up towards the roof, not down towards the floor.
        RightDrive Inc. Parts Manager
        http://www.rightdrive.ca :: http://www.rightdriveparts.com :: http://www.rightdriveusa.com
        1970 Highway 7 West, Vaughan, ON :: 1-877-398-8220

Comment

Originally posted by Daryl @ TunerLab.jp View Post
          Interesting debate here, both sides have some valuable points.
          I just have one question, I understand that the standard 3 point belt allows your body to fold forward and down in event of an accident, but if your car is upside down in a roll, will your body still roll forward and down towards the floor? Being upside down means that your body would actually be rolling up towards the roof, not down towards the floor.
          I suppose it might depend on the direction and speed of rollover.

I know Volvo Developed a 4 point seat belt for road cars. Both shoulder straps had the inertia real just like the current 3 point. I don't know why it never made it to production. Testing showed a significant improvement in frontal impacts.
          sigpic

Comment

First, sorry for dragging up a older message but I would like to add my 2 cents worth. my history includes Kart, pro-rally (CARS National) and auto-cross. I have rolled 1 car and banged up a few others at speed.

Seatbelts.. I personally love 5 or 6 point belts when properly installed. We used to use a 5 point when auto-crossing with a cross bar on for tack time only, switch back to 3 point for city driving. Really, in auto-crossing you dont get going fast enough for a roll over to cause much damage and you are wearing a helmet. Higher speed stuff I would be using a cage or roll bar, depending on sport if I was going to use a 5 or 6 point. CARS rules require a seat belt bar if the angle of the belt exceeds 45 deg (if I remember exactly) to eliminate spine crush in the event of an accident, not just a roll over. I am the type of driver that doesn't like much padding in my seat and to be strapped in to feel the car.

If I didn't have a cage, I sure wouldn't want to be 5 pointed in in a roll over situation so I could get lower.
            Mark
            (OO\______/OO)

Comment

Originally posted by Mark_GTR View Post
              First, sorry for dragging up a older message but I would like to add my 2 cents worth. my history includes Kart, pro-rally (CARS National) and auto-cross. I have rolled 1 car and banged up a few others at speed.

Seatbelts.. I personally love 5 or 6 point belts when properly installed. We used to use a 5 point when auto-crossing with a cross bar on for tack time only, switch back to 3 point for city driving. Really, in auto-crossing you dont get going fast enough for a roll over to cause much damage and you are wearing a helmet. Higher speed stuff I would be using a cage or roll bar, depending on sport if I was going to use a 5 or 6 point. CARS rules require a seat belt bar if the angle of the belt exceeds 45 deg (if I remember exactly) to eliminate spine crush in the event of an accident, not just a roll over. I am the type of driver that doesn't like much padding in my seat and to be strapped in to feel the car.

If I didn't have a cage, I sure wouldn't want to be 5 pointed in in a roll over situation so I could get lower.
              Mark
              There is an inteligent post right there, about 90% of the people answering this thread, never really raced,nor do have real information concerning racing.

First of all, pretty much any racer will not ahve a 4 point harnes anymore, because in a crash you have greater chance to hurt the lower body area, since nothing restreint you there.

Every race car will be using a 5 or 6 point, personnally, andmore and more you'll see that race car use now 6 pts harness, the reason beeing if you have a crash, the 5 point harness will kill you're ball compare to the 6 pt.

If you don't have any rollbar, cage built in, you will have more chance of hurting/killing youre slef in a crash. it is true, and everybody that says r32 are not that soft, you never been in a race accident.

If you don't have a rollbar/cage, harness shouldn't be for you. I work in a raceshop, we sell scroth harnesses,omp,sparco,trs,oakley race suit, harnesses and seat, and never will i sale one harness to a guy who doesn't have a rollbar/cage.
              Alexandre Canuel
              PERRY AUTO LAVAL
              PERFORMANCE & RACE- OEM
              REPLACEMENT
              450 662 8886

Comment

Since my car is my daily driver.

If i put a roll cage in. And still wanted functionality of my back seat (put people back there)

What is the best way to mount a harness, or is there a way?

Thanks

Nathan
                sigpic

Originally posted by m_melen
                ...it woulda been safer if his harness were made of jello

Comment

there is a way, but it is very dangerous because of the harness angle going into the floor. also you will only have eyebolt supporting the stress of the harness.
                  Alexandre Canuel
                  PERRY AUTO LAVAL
                  PERFORMANCE & RACE- OEM
                  REPLACEMENT
                  450 662 8886

Comment

does anybody have any pictures of this set up

Thanks
                    sigpic

Comment

heres how mine is

Comment

So that is a proper way to set up a harness then, correct?

Looks great BTW
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X