Garage heater.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage heater.

Just wanted to see if anyone has a portable heater they use in their garage over the winter to work on their car. Right now I use some POS tiny area plug in heater but it doesn't work very well. I have TONS of work to get done over the next few weeks and don't want to freeze my nuts off.

Anyone have a decently priced solution?

TROL

if your garage is insulated it wont take much. I have a 4800w construction heater. about $80 at canadian tire. I set the built in thermostat half way and leave it on 24/7 keep my 20x28 garage at a nice 15°C, all you need for a garage. The catch, you need a 30A plug, or a welding plug works if you convert the plug end.

or

a kerosene forced air heater, some call it a salomander.

these will heat up your garage in about 1 minute, good if you're out there for a quick job, just turn it on when you're out there.

i have both and prefer the electric version better, but then i don't pay the hydro bill.
    Tџяϊsмø

Comment

I use a propane induction heater. It puts out 35,000-55,000 btu and I bought it for about $160 last year at princess auto. Heats up the garage super fast, just make sure you have a CO detector because mine has gone of once or twice in two years.

Kyle
      S15 Kei Office mechanic: Care for more boost?
      Orido: Yes please

Comment

the main problem is the garage is insulated, but the door has major draft issues. Big spaces around the sides and top.

I'm liking the electric one, I'll swing by Can tire and check it out. Luckily we have a 30A as a clothes dryer used to be in there.

It sucks right now, because every time I get motivation to work on my car, I step into the garage and immediately turn around... :-P

TROL

Comment

Originally posted by falcon View Post
          the main problem is the garage is insulated, but the door has major draft issues. Big spaces around the sides and top.

I'm liking the electric one, I'll swing by Can tire and check it out. Luckily we have a 30A as a clothes dryer used to be in there.

It sucks right now, because every time I get motivation to work on my car, I step into the garage and immediately turn around... :-P

aww muffin, u live in vancouver, does it even get cold there? lol jk but i can only fit half my truck in my garage so i have to work with the door open and no heater. I just layer up and wear gloves and a tuque. One of those little heaters would be pretty cool though.

Comment

This brings back bad memories of working on my GTR. We ended up using these really large lights that produce an immense amount of heat and after about 20 mins we were taking our clothes off =/ Probably not a very efficient way of heating the garage =P

Comment

The propane one is your best bet. You'll probably want a bit of ventilation. The kerosene ones don't burn very clean and need lots of ventilation. Electric ones suck ass

Comment

Originally posted by bignate View Post
                aww muffin, u live in vancouver, does it even get cold there? lol jk but i can only fit half my truck in my garage so i have to work with the door open and no heater. I just layer up and wear gloves and a tuque. One of those little heaters would be pretty cool though.
                actually it's been abnormally cold for the past week and it's not supposed to end. I'm not used to -10 as a HIGH for the day.

but I have a concrete garage, so it tends to be colder in the garage than it is outside.

I worked all last winter on my gts-t and it wasn't as cold as it is now. and I have a lot of work to do (turbo kit install, remove emissions stuff and take the clutch out... on my FD) , so I would rather be comfortable and not have to layer.

TROL

Comment

Originally posted by falcon View Post
                  actually it's been abnormally cold for the past week and it's not supposed to end. I'm not used to -10 as a HIGH for the day.

but I have a concrete garage, so it tends to be colder in the garage than it is outside.

I worked all last winter on my gts-t and it wasn't as cold as it is now. and I have a lot of work to do (turbo kit install, remove emissions stuff and take the clutch out... on my FD) , so I would rather be comfortable and not have to layer.
                  hehe yea i understand dude im just being a **** cuz i have to suffer the cold for now lol. I'd kill for a garage i could put a whole car in, but my old man is a bit of a pack rat.

Comment

haha, my parents were the same way. Until I cleaned it out myself and claimed it as my own.

Now they always ask why my "old" car can't be parked outside and thier "new yaris" in the garage. I just laugh....

TROL

Comment

This is what I use.

Since 1999, we've paid our members over $3.2 Billion in Cash Back. Join now for an extra 10% Cash Back boost. Shop 3,500+ stores using coupons or cash back!

For $18 and free shipping I don't care haha

Comment

Originally posted by MistaJOW View Post
                        This is what I use.

Since 1999, we've paid our members over $3.2 Billion in Cash Back. Join now for an extra 10% Cash Back boost. Shop 3,500+ stores using coupons or cash back!

For $18 and free shipping I don't care haha
                        Haha thats cheap !
                        I'm also in need of a decent heater for my garage.
                        Do you think this one would work for a single car, detachted, not insulated garage? Or would I need a bigger one? I'm just lookin to warm the garage up while I work out there.

Comment

Originally posted by SRC View Post
                          Haha thats cheap !
                          I'm also in need of a decent heater for my garage.
                          Do you think this one would work for a single car, detachted, not insulated garage? Or would I need a bigger one? I'm just lookin to warm the garage up while I work out there.
                          Well I am one who likes the cold a lot so this heater does me fine, my garage has 3 stalls so my whole garage doesn't warm up. I just have it pointed in the direction I am working so I have a heat where I am and that I don't freeze to death.

I hope that helps, I wasn't to sure what to say lol

Comment

I am using the construction style heater as well.. works great took my dad only a few mins to wire in 30a plug.... if you have door issues make sure its an insulated door, if not you can buy the 2 by 8 styrofoam sheets and put that in the paneling on the garage door... if its just a shell of a door..

Comment

I'm pretty sure the door is insulated, the main problem is the gaps around the sides and top.

Since the car is not leaving anytime soon, I'm going to try to seal all the gaps with some insulation stuffing for now.

TROL

Comment

Working...
                              X