No announcement yet.

Man I hate rotaries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*throwing* as in I'm currently doing the build.

The stock Miata 1.6L engine is good until around 240whp before the rods bend. I'm keeping it under 230whp for a bit or reliability.

Small TD04 GReddy turbo, full 3'' exhaust, FMIC, injectors, ECU, 2 way Maruha diff, used centerforce clutch has so far only cost me $1200. Tuning will be 3-4 hrs $150/hr.

Then add my Wilwood brake setup @ $600, wheels $500, NT01's $600 and suspension $1200.

TROL

Comment

not a bad setup at all and it should go since the miata doesnt weigh much.
      Proud owner of the 2nd Skyline and the only GTR on the island!

Boost@14PSI, YellowJacket Coils, Extreme TSC, Full Nismo N1 Bodykit, Greddy Speed Cut Controller, HKS Turbo Timer, 280LPH Denso Fuel Pump, Nismo Slave Cylinder, AMS BOVs, Nismo Clutch Pivot, ACT Xtreme 6 Puck and HDPP, Greddy Panel Filter

Comment

The last turbo Miata out at our track, the same guy I bought the kit from was lapping with GT3RS's and R8's. And it was only putting out 180rwhp at the time.

TROL

Comment

Yeah, that Miata is going to be sick on the track.
          Its a sweet build man.
          I thought you mentioned doing ITB's though?
          Originally posted by Oakville
          that, is what us oakvillians like to call an 'instabone'

Comment

Nope. Going FI now. Too much money needed to make N/A power.

TROL

Comment

^ do you still have your FD then??
              Biggest selection of Skyline CarbonFiber & FRP Aero in Canada. PM me.

Comment

yes..

TROL

Comment

Originally posted by falcon View Post
                  In the long run, RX7's are cheaper. The only difference between an FD and a GTR, is you HAVE to spend all your $ up front. There is no "half building" an RX7. Whereas with a GTR you can do it in stages.

Like I said, if I would not have been so impatient with my last build (it blew because of my own stupidity) I would have been into my whole build for less than Zulu's NUR shortblock cost when we built that car.

But now, since I have to do it over (and really it's only a shortblock @ $2850 and a new turbine wheel @ $300) I am closer to what Skyline owners spend on a build.

But, the reason I'm building a Miata right now... is I have gotten past wanting to race my RX7. There is too much blood/sweat/tears into it I would hate to see it go into a wall due to a mistake at the track. The amount of money I need to spend to get the RX7 running reliably, tuned and ready for the track including wheels/tires/suspension etc... I was able to buy a Miata and get it track ready with a turbo system for the same cost.

It was a no brainer.

the problem here is you think that RX-7 = FD.

FC's are RX-7's too... and way way cheaper for the same performance levels, at least in a straight line. FD's have the edge cornering and while FC's handle amazingly it's hard to get them to the same levels FD's can get to.

FD's are cheaper than skylines, and FC's are WAY cheaper than FD's.

but anyways. The only thing better than turbo miatas, is 13B turbo miatas!

I keep trying to convince a friend of mine to turbo his but he won't do it. I'd love a turbo miata track toy.
                  1992 GTR - 2.7L, GT2871R's, forged bottom end, big valves, 270* cams, R34 getrag
                  2000 Honda Insight - 70+mpg daily driver
                  2003 Sierra 2500HD Diesel - Tow vehicle

Comment

You know what I mean.. and to get the same power with the same components that I am aiming for out of the FD it would cost the same on an FC and more on an FB.

TROL

Comment

• FCs are also nice, i was gonna buy one but you dont buy anything with a rotary engine in cape breton lol cause if it aint blown up its not far from it.
                      Proud owner of the 2nd Skyline and the only GTR on the island!

Boost@14PSI, YellowJacket Coils, Extreme TSC, Full Nismo N1 Bodykit, Greddy Speed Cut Controller, HKS Turbo Timer, 280LPH Denso Fuel Pump, Nismo Slave Cylinder, AMS BOVs, Nismo Clutch Pivot, ACT Xtreme 6 Puck and HDPP, Greddy Panel Filter

Comment

• Ok i cant believe this is even a discussion. rotaries are just plain and simple, awesome and different. Yes they are a different design but one that hauls ass with little displacement and is a very high rev motor which is one of the major reasons i enjoy it. I owned a fc that was just a gxl(13b non-turbo) the car was great. It handled awesome and wasn't horrible on gas. The down fall of these engines is they tend to have problems, but then again doesnt other cars. The rx7 fd was probably one of the most sexy japanese sports cars they came out with in that time period and definately hit the styling head on. And for those of you that complain about the rotary motor but love the rx7's just drop a rb26 or a rb30 in it and watch how much fun they are, check youtube for it.

Also forgot one thing with the bigger motors like the 3rotor or even the 4 rotor motor they sound amazing at idle and sound like a crotch rocket when hitting high rev. Would love to have one but my pockets arent deep enough for that kind of stuff

Chris
                        Miss driving sooooo bad! Need to get a car on the road ASAP!

Comment

• Yeah. What he said x2
                          "Manual transmission is like riding a horse. Automatic transmission is like riding a merry-go-round."

Originally posted by M13
                          i think i m an awesome dancer when i m drunk.

Comment

• You can't just "drop an RB" in. RX7's have tiny engine bays. The 1JZ and 2JZ swaps are fairly common though.

TROL

Comment

• Yeah...what he said.
                              "Manual transmission is like riding a horse. Automatic transmission is like riding a merry-go-round."

Originally posted by M13
                              i think i m an awesome dancer when i m drunk.

Comment

• I love rotaries... in 1100lb formula cars.

:biggrin:
                                Race. Win. Live.

Comment

Working...
                                X