1989-1991 GTR R32 compared to 1992+ GTR R32

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1989-1991 GTR R32 compared to 1992+ GTR R32

I was in at right drive in Vaughn, Ontario talking to the owner and was talking about the gtr r32. He was telling me that any Nissan car including the skylines prior to late 1991/92 they were having issues so in 92 or late 92 and greater they changed a bunch of parts and what not. I can't remember what exactly he said but something along the line of the oil pressur, clutch assembly and other stuff. But after it was all changed, the cars were a lot more stronger and could handle a lot more on them. He also stated that any Nissan prior to 1992 is basically a ticking time bomb.

My question is:

Is he correct? Or just making some stuff up?

Reason I'm asking is because I'm looking into getting one but don't want to get one that will just cause me head aches.

Thanks in advance.

Most of us own pre-1992 cars and are still driving them. My clock has 135,000km. Compression was 160 across last I checked.

There are changes and differences yes but it's been discussed many many times on here. Search and you'll find good info. You're fine.
    No build thread.
    1991 nissan
    El terror

"Built not bought" sooner or later = "broken not running"

Comment

Originally posted by Bruizer View Post
      Most of us own pre-1992 cars and are still driving them. My clock has 135,000km. Compression was 160 across last I checked.

There are changes and differences yes but it's been discussed many many times on here. Search and you'll find good info. You're fine.
      Bingo! i almost mirrored those results. I wouldnt worry man. Push/pull clutch happened in late 91. oil drive issue was improved beyond that as well.

Comment

Originally posted by TrevoR32 View Post
        Bingo! i almost mirrored those results. I wouldnt worry man. Push/pull clutch happened in late 91. oil drive issue was improved beyond that as well.
        all the improvement were done in 1994, like the clutch, brakes, oil pump drive

the differences between the pre-91 (zenki) and post-91 (kouki) are trivial at best
        sigpic

[links to all chapters in first post]

Comment

The main issue you're referring to is the oil pump collar on the crank and I believe it was changed in Feb-Mar 1993 and beyond. At least I remember someone on here checking the part numbers for the cranks in FAST and the part number changed at that point.

While here: http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/146485-di...nki-chuki.html, they state 08/20/1991, but who knows I have no idea where this information comes from.

Maybe someone should recheck VIN #s in FAST.
          Last edited by DarkCaporaL; 05-12-2011, 02:05 PM.
          R32 GTR FULL SERVICE MANUAL DOWNLOAD:
          http://forums.gtrcanada.com/faq/36-holy-bible-6.html#post467565

Comment

I surprised he didn't try to sell you one for $55,000
            "LAG is the time the guy beside you thought he won"

Comment

I've also heard that all GT-R's built after 1989 were made out of cheaper materials to save money (which meant less reliability)....

Comment

Originally posted by evilgtr View Post
                I surprised he didn't try to sell you one for $55,000
                He actually was very nice to me, and gave a lot of good info. But I just wasn't sure about what I made this thread for.

Comment

Originally posted by 89-GTR View Post
                  I've also heard that all GT-R's built after 1989 were made out of cheaper materials to save money (which meant less reliability)....
                  they did come with a higher nickel content in the block did they not? made them a bit stronger. ohh the rumours.

Comment

So nobody really knows exactly...lol

Comment

Originally posted by 89-GTR View Post
                      The block post 1989 had less material because of increased manufacturing efficiency. If you want to big bore an RB26, go 1989.
                      1992 BNR32 SKYLINE GTR

Comment

Originally posted by Nvdgtr View Post
                        I was in at right drive in Vaughn, Ontario talking to the owner and was talking about the gtr r32. He was telling me that any Nissan car including the skylines prior to late 1991/92 they were having issues so in 92 or late 92 and greater they changed a bunch of parts and what not. I can't remember what exactly he said but something along the line of the oil pressur, clutch assembly and other stuff. But after it was all changed, the cars were a lot more stronger and could handle a lot more on them. He also stated that any Nissan prior to 1992 is basically a ticking time bomb.

My question is:

Is he correct? Or just making some stuff up?

Reason I'm asking is because I'm looking into getting one but don't want to get one that will just cause me head aches.

Thanks in advance.
                        Mike told me much of the same when I went to talk with him (albeit less extreme than what you are describing), along with a bunch of other info. While I didnt check to verify everything he told me, I did know/check most of them and they were correct. In the end I ended up buying my GTR from them.

Whether you want to go with a 93+ GTR and/or go with RightDrive to get your Skyline or not depends on a lot of factors and what is most important to you. Yes RightDrive cars are on the higher end of the price range but it is a turnkey service, that means they do a bunch of extra work for you and as a result it is reflected in the price.

If you have any questions you dont want to ask on here please feel free to PM me and I will be more than willing to discuss them with you.
                        1994 R32 GT-R V-Spec II

Originally posted by aN4rk1
                        Like frig, is it really that hard to spell properly on the "internetz"?? I don't know whether these guys just choose to spell like that or don't know HOW to spell...either way...WTF?

Comment

can someone here please run my vin and see what month/year mine was manufactured

bnr32-216669

thanks!
                          Toy: BNR32
                          DD: R50

Comment

Originally posted by markc32 View Post
                            can someone here please run my vin and see what month/year mine was manufactured

bnr32-216669

thanks!
                            february 92
                            model; KBNR32RXFSAA
                            color 732

seems like my old gtr was built in november 89
                            my current gtr was built in november 91
                            Last edited by frankiman; 05-13-2011, 11:19 PM.
                            sigpic

[links to all chapters in first post]

Comment

sweet thanks frankiman! i wonder is mine falls in the hole of the bad oil pumps??? some say pre 92s are and post 92s are the good ones? or is it 100% 93+ have the good oil pumps?
                              Toy: BNR32
                              DD: R50

Comment

Working...
                              X