No announcement yet.

RB26 Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• once i found that out the car was shut down and we called a friend to pick my dad up so he could go get the tiltdeck trailer... now it is back in the shop about to go back on jackstands and im gonna rip those turbos out and get them rebuilt.

Anyone no of any shops in winnipeg or toronto that do good work on rebuilding turbos? Im rocking Garret 2860-5's...

Comment

• Anyone use Cherry Turbos in Toronto area for rebuilding turbos? I've just read some good things about the company...

Comment

• Originally posted by curtisgoodman View Post
        Anyone use Cherry Turbos in Toronto area for rebuilding turbos? I've just read some good things about the company...
        I called them couple of years back. $600 to start I was told. And you gotta mail in a core ...as usual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• So we ripped out the turbos today wow what a job... i thought we'd have it done in 4-5 hours max it took us 7... had minimal shaft play in the front turbo spun freely by hand but the rear turbo had waaaaay to much play all over the place and didnt spin freely at all and the corner of one fin on the compression side was slightly bent i guess from touching the housing side as it spun... so gonna get them both rebuilt just because they are out and i'll be running them with a lot less psi in the future... also found a long bead of black rtv in the coolant bango bolt for the front turbo picked it out and man that musta been blocking a lot of coolant to the turbo not complete blockage but close.

Anyways going to get a scope to check out the cylinders to make sure everything else is ok.

One thing thats been bothering me is that yea the rear turbo had lots of play and was in bad shape but the front turbo was in good overall condition so why couldnt i build any boost... thats the million dollar question...
          Last edited by curtisgoodman; 03-19-2015, 06:55 PM.

Comment

• so i am going to send out the tomei exhaust manifolds and dump pipe for ceramic coatings in a cobalt colour... after removing the heat wrap i found a crack on each manifold on the middle runner near the top... must be a high stress area...

Comment

• I like the deep metallic blue of the stainless... very nice colour

Comment

• 7 hours of wreching to get here

Comment

• also ripped out the a/c lines and compressor it wasnt working anyways and now we'll have a lot more room when reinstalling the turbos cause man was it ever tight in there with that heat wrap around everything to get at the manifold nuts and turbo nuts...

Comment

• I personally would not use any stainless steel exhaust manifold.....so much risk cracking....will you repair it or bin it? Ported stocker is what I recommend.

Comment

• front turbo

Rear Turbo

close up bent fin excuse the blurry phone pics

Comment

• so we ripped apart the front of the car again to remove the rest of the a/c **** that between the bumper and my koyo rad... all gone now...

Comment

• we'll be sending the turbos to cherry turbos for a rebuild and i'll be sending the manifolds (after i get them welded) and the dump pipes for ceramic coating to cherry turbos aswell... he will send them out with the turbo housings to get them all done at once.

Comment

• Parts airmailed yesterday they should arrive there today... also received my gun metal grey door from Charles... i can finally get rid of the black door ive been rocking for so long...

Comment

• Got some things accomplished on the car this weekend and today... installed the grey door i got from a member on here (finally no more black door) it came with nothing attached which is fine because shipping from BC to Ontario would cost a lot more with the glass and window motor etc... so swapped all the goodies from one to the other and bolted it up... had to remove the fender to adjust the door properly which went over nice because we replaced all the hardware during the suspension mod stage... we had a few ps leaks so i picked up some better fuel injection style hose clamps and they're now installed hopefully no more issues there... decided to relocate the battery to the trunk to open up some room up front for a catch can and oil cooler thermostat, also made some room between the hood latch support out front and the radiator for a large accusump setup... going for the 3qt high pressure model and man are they large 22" long and 4" round, we're going to have the electronic valve setup so it will automatically pressurize upon start-up and if i lose oil pressure it will feed the engine so i have time to shut it off if theres a problem.

Comment

• we had some welding cable lying around so we will be using that with wire loom to run from front to back for the battery relocate, nothing special for a battery box just a plastic style napa box, we have a 125amp fused power distribution box where we can hook everything up to, spent quite a lot of time and effort cleaning up the wiring mess around the fuse box under the hood... just way to much crap in one spot... FPR, Oil filter relocate, water meth control box, water meth lines and nozzles, a million connectors and wires... its crazy. So after a couple hours straight its starting to look a lot better, I'm almost worried I wont be able to fill that area up afterwards lol it'll look all empty. I guess i just need a larger catch can to fill the void.

Comment

Working...
                                X