My New Project - BNR32 GTR..... Slightly Bent.. In Newfoundland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My New Project - BNR32 GTR..... Slightly Bent.. In Newfoundland

Hello, my name is Ken, I have been building a RHD Honda for the last 8 yrs, and with most long term projects, I needed a change. The Honda was a Racecar in a widebody, I'm kind of getting to old for the Honda now, its too loud in many ways... LOL. So I came across this 89 GTR for 3g's. I didn't think it was a bad deal as I could part it out and get that. Here is the good side...

So as the title stated, she is bent up abit, the previous owner drifted it into a curb, and collapsed the drivers side suspension.... and bent the rear of the car abit.... So to the bad side....

My good friends family own a collision Body shop specializing restoring antique cars that have been bent up. They also have a reputation for exceptional attention to detail. After Brian sized up the car, he said that it was repairable and that it wasn't that bad. Perfect, that was the news I wanted to hear!!!! It also helped that a mutual friend offered up his 89 Gtr in mint shape to us to measure up, it is nice to have that...

It was time to start finding the parts to fix her.... The previous owner had ordered some used Spindles for the front and rear, as well as driveshafts. But when it arrived there were no suspension arms..... So the car sat for 1 yr as he didn't now what to do with it..... So all the arms needed replacing as they were all bent up. I did abit of research and ended up talking with Karim @ Toronto JDM, he hooked my up with all the needed arms, and was a pleasure to do business with as a bonus.
    New to me Arms:

I also found a set of front Tension Rods on Kijiji for a 130 shipped, in hind sight I would have got it all from Toronto JDM but I had them ordered already.. So on my last rotation home I was going to put the suspension back in... But the Rear sway bar and front inner and outer tie rod ends are bent.... So in comes Karim @ Toronto JDM, a new to me swaybar and full rack & Pinion was shipped. I figured the rack & pinion might be good to have around as I don't plan on getting rid of the car anytime soon.

So that's about it for the bent parts, I guess by the time I get home the car will be on the frame straightener.... My overall plan for the car is to have the car straightened out, and to have a full rollcage with removable door bars, and main hoop cross bar. I want to retain access to the rear seats as I travel alot and this car is going to be driven.. I want the rollcage installed just to keep the car straight for the long term, Brian doesn't think I need it, but I will drive the car alot and I feel once you bend metal, it loses part of it's rigidity.

So here are some more pics... The Drivers side Interior:

The Passenger Interior: Needs a cleaning on the inside.... LOL

The car is in good shape consisdering, It has a few parts already, there is Apexi Filters, Spitfire Coils, and a strut tower bars front and rear. Here's the engine bay

It also has a Downpipe and a HKS Priest Cat Back. Here's the cat back

The Downpipes are alittle of a mystery to me, there is a multi-piece Tig Welded Bent in the downpipe that I haven't seen in any of the aftermarket offerings.. Here is a bad pic, there wasn't much space to get a pick... The second one isn't much help either..

I was thinking it might be a older Mine's piece but I'm not sure, maybe someone knows on here????

The car also has Ohlins Struts all the way around, and the only company that offers that combination is Mine's Motorsports. So I'm going to leave them in it for now. The Mine's description of the suspension package fits directly with my overall plan for the car. So onto the other parts I picked up for it, I found a Mine's ECU for a decent deal. I run a Stand alone in the Honda and I just want to get away from the laptop in the car. I want a more refined car, so I liked the Mine's Tuning mind set, it has to get to work all week, then track on the weekend. But if it doesn't work, a NisTune will be installed. So here is a pic of the Mine's ECU

The Description on the ECU was this...
    Eliminate 180km top speed limiter
    Shift rev limiter timing
    Eliminate boost limiter
    Modification of fuel correction map and Ignition map
    Change quorum (k)
    Change lattice of the map (RPM, injection time)
    Modify every correction points

I'm not really sure of what Change Quorum means or what the Boost the ECU is tuned up to, but I will be running 14 psi. I would imagine that it is tuned to this level.

I also picked up acouple of Blitz DD BOV's for it... They need to be cleaned up abit,

So thats my start to the build, with any luck at all the car will be on the frame straightener when I get home, and I'll bolt up the suspension and we can get at making her perfect again, I'll be updating this thread as I'm new to the community and I figure this is a good way to make a few friends, and even get some good help and opinions.

Ken

sounds like its going to be a sweet build man!
    good luck bro
    1990 Mazda Manyata (Turbo Miata 6psi 175whp 172wtq)
    1991 Nissan Skyline GTR (13.5psi estimate of 320whp)

Comment

jeez, it took you 1 year to find the parts

you could have found all those parts within days on here, heck i could have gotten you everything off my old GTR for CHEAP and quick
      sigpic

[links to all chapters in first post]

Comment

It didn't take me long to find the parts..... And I feel i got a good deal, that's why I didn't mention what I payed for everything. The previous owner didn't know where to find the parts.... or just ran out of money is probably the more likely answer. In the end he just went out and bought another skyline. He isn't mechanically minded, and I believe owning a skyline for him was a stature thing..... I wouldn't count on a car to get you laid but whatever... LOL

So you mentioned a scrapped Skyline.... What parts do you have lying around.... I'm more interested in any go fast goodies that you might have lying around....

Comment

Cool. Good to see another east coast GTR.
          Couple of things to watch for. You likely won't be able to run atmospheric bovs as the gtr is set up for recirc. Also those Japanese tuned ecus are fine for Japanese fuel but not for our drinking water. Detonation is a very common problem especially where you have fuel and timing changed with boost increased.
          There is a local JDM parts supplier here in Halifax that may be of service to you. pm me for info if interested.
          Good luck and have fun!

Comment

i'll be putting all my leftovers (and more) from my summer build up for sale soon
            sigpic

Comment

you should definetly get the car (ECU) tuned to be able to run the atmo BOVs and canadian fuel without ANY problems
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by frankiman View Post
                you should definetly get the car (ECU) tuned to be able to run the atmo BOVs and canadian fuel without ANY problems
                Frank, one of the biggest problems we face here in the Maritimes is people who can tune. There has only been one MAJOR build done on a GTR out of Moncton area (10 sec. street car) and I believe it's gone to NF. Trying to get that ecu tuned will probably require data logging and someone who can do flashes remotely. Corner Brook is a fairly small city and I would be suprised if there is a capable tuner if even a dyno.
                BTW I'll be watching for your parts list.

Comment

Hi, guy's thanks for the input,

I did abit of reading on the Bov's when I was offshore there a while back, According to some crafty aussies, I might get away with it, might not, so I picked them up for cheap. The quick solution is a HKS EIDS. I will need two of them and this is supposed to fool the stock/mines ecu into thinking she is getting that little extra air.... by trailing off the Maf Signal Voltage. According to the same aussies these are also a pain in the a** to set up.

Well as for tuners, I can pretty much handle that, but I'm in no way a pro(I have alot to learn), I have had my Supercharged honda running megasquirt for the last four years, this year I put about 40,000kms on it going back and fourth the island. Also Brian's Autobody (the same place straightening, rollcaging,and painting my skyline), own the one and only dyno on our little rock. So my plan was to make a pull on the stock ECU, then switch in the mine's for a pull and just see the difference. He just got a new Knock system for the dyno so we should be good.

On the Knock/Sh** Fuel issue, A long time friend with acouple of Badass Supras, has always run meth injection, and I was thinking the same thing. I know on his 94 2jz running a Borg Warner Single(780whp on pump) has his meth coming on at 4 psi(biggest jet) and his 82 Celica Supra - 1JZ(480whp on pump) has its meth coming on at 7 psi(medium jet). Both run the AEM system. I really like this system, seems to work perfect on the toyota's. Whats your thoughts on the RB26's? Oh, a little tid bit, the Pink Windshield wash at CT has the most methenol in it. Believe it is something like 75% Meth.

The other option I have used from time to time is mixing our supreme fuel with Methanol, I would throw in 1 litre in with twenty dollars in supreme. Apparently this is supposed to bump octane levels, I noticed a reduced knock in the honda with this method. But more importantly I had to take about 7% out of my Fuel map. Effectively making blend fuel. Sort of like E85 but all petroleum based fuel.
                  But this method has to mixed up good, and I don't really now if will even stay mixed up long, I just used it from time to time for the odd day at the track.

Bobbo, Whats the name on the Parts place in Halifax?

Comment

**UPDATE THAT NEVER MADE IT UP. SEPT, 2010****

Well I'm on the second page of the projects.... it is time to update. I managed a week off about three weeks ago; I took the time to refinish my BOV's as they were pitted pretty badly. The before pic is in the opening post, here is the finished product. Amazing what some Black paint and a dremel can do, I then cleared them.

And that was about it for that rotation home. I took all the parts back to St. John's where the car is.

So my last Hitch was in Sault Ste. Marie, ONT. I took advantage of my time and rental truck to go and pick up a Cusco Rollcage from a MVC, GTRCanada member in Toronto. What a wicked road trip. Seen some sick whips, I was jealous. So here is the cage all setup in my hotel room.

Ok, so on to the good stuff, I just finished a three day break in St. John's. Where the GTR is, it has made it on the frame straightener, Rear Quarter has been pulled out abit, Drivers door closes again, and the trunk opens.... The downside, the rear subframe was twisted up good. So this presented a problem…. Where to get a subframe. Called Toronto JDM… No Dice. Ok, now what… To the Parts for Sale forum. Here I find “Bird”, GTRCanada member in BC. What a super good guy to deal with, two days later, a Subframe in great shape was shipped. So here are some pics on the frame straightener.

While they were waiting on the subframe, myself and one of the bye's took the time to get the GTR running again. New plugs, oils and battery, then nothing, it had spark, but no fuel..... We tried everything, Jumping the fuel pump, tracing grounds but no dice, then we found the Fuel pump relay behind the rear trunk trim, unplugged it, plugged it back in. Perfect. Runs great. Still up in the air on this one… Thinking it is like a ford G sensor, and just needed a reset. Maybe not…. Time will tell. So we then put in the Mine's ECU.

Blitz BOV's

And GRID TS Dancer 2

And that is about it for that trip home; I'm back Offshore again with a list of parts to get..... A Hicas Elimination kit and a carbon fiber front lip and Grill..... More updates to come, lots of parts left to go on yet.....

Comment

Update # 3

So after 21 days offshore, I’m ready for some R&R. This means a bottle of grey goose and quality time with the GTR (by day anyway, by night is a different story…. LOL). The list of parts is getting longer….. This is a good thing. So on to the parts to install,

Cusco Cage
                      AEM Meth Kit
                      AEM Wideband
                      AEM Boost Gauge
                      Carbon Pillar pod….. Might need mods to work with the cage…. If to much cutting, it is for sale…
                      Test Pipe and welding of Cat Sensor Bung.
                      HICAS Elimination Kit.

Not a bad list. The car has been painted, she is wicked!!!! Had it finished in 2011 Audi R8 white, it is missing the front lip (mine was damaged, I guess mounting tabs could have been fabed up….) but I have managed to get in on the C-Unit GB, a little late, but I paided a little extra, which was fair. So I got a JUN “style” Carbon Front lip and a Top Secret “style” Carbon rear diffuser coming. I also picked up a front under diffuser from RocketZ.net. It was on sale, so why not.

My new wheels and Tires aren’t here yet either, I picked up a set of XXR 18 X 10’s with a 25 offset, Flat Black. Great price. I’m looking at Falken Tires, which one’s not sure, but there will be 265/35/18’s on it.

Ok, so it was a busy couple of week at Brian's Autobody. The New to Me subframe installed.

All the old bent parts....

On the ramp finishing up the suspension

All wet sanded up, moving it to the paint booth

All the varies body panels painted white

She's in the booth

WHITE

Assembled

Fitting the Rollcage

Pics of the Test Pipe

So thats pretty much up to date, I have to finish off the Rear Steer Removal today, and the plates for the cage, then just finish bolting it down. Then on the meth. More pics coming. Only three more days off left......
                      Last edited by RhdHybrid; 11-27-2010, 08:15 AM.

Comment

could you post a video of those bovs? Im really curious to hear how they sound
                        Victory is on the horizon..

Comment

if u check out my build thread " JL GTR... etc" i have the same BOV's they sound awesome.

great job on this project so far!!!! wow, you took a scrap car and it almost looks new again!!!

I would say that Downpipe is mines... looks like it anyways
                          The SkyLife Community & News Website --> http://www.skylife4ever.com

Comment

whats not to love about that color?! sweet!
                            downpipe looks awesome

right rear wheel looks sooo crooked

going to put the rear seats back in ?
                            sigpic

Comment

whats the model name of the bov?
                              Victory is on the horizon..

Comment

Working...
                              X